Combatant Gentleman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Domino View Post
    I'm bumping this because I was just browsing around for a double monk boot and google sent me to their site.

https://combatgent.com/products/blac...ble-monk-strap

I'd suggest that you read the description. And then look at the photos of the product.
    Smoothest suede I've ever seen....
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

I have one sport coat from them, post-fiasco. It's actually fairly nice for the sale price I paid. No complaints.

Comment

Originally posted by Domino View Post
        I'm bumping this because I was just browsing around for a double monk boot and google sent me to their site.

https://combatgent.com/products/blac...ble-monk-strap

I'd suggest that you read the description. And then look at the photos of the product.
        I'm liking the reference to "hand sewn", although they are made with "cement construction."
        WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
          Smoothest suede I've ever seen....
          "smooth Spanish suede"

Comment

Bros, don't you know anything? They turned the suede INSIDE OUT!

That...that was sarcasm.

Comment

Originally posted by MediumTex View Post
              Bros, don't you know anything? They turned the suede INSIDE OUT!
              I'm surprised at how much innovation one can purchased for $49.

Comment

I've now purchased 4 very inexpensive suits from the "new" CG and they all arrived quickly, without any issues, and were exactly the same as what was described. Fortunately the descriptions didn't say suede.

Comment

Originally posted by ianr View Post
                  I've now purchased 4 very inexpensive suits from the "new" CG and they all arrived quickly, without any issues, and were exactly the same as what was described. Fortunately the descriptions didn't say suede.
                  Yes, by joking about the oversight on the description on the website, I'm not suggesting that they aren't offering a good value for the very low prices they charge.

As a small business owner, I know first-hand how hard it can be to get small typos fixed on a website when you don't know how to do it yourself.

I once worked for a very politically influential regional firm in Los Angeles (now merged into a huge firm). For quite some time, the partner I worked for was described as a "Federal False Clams" expert on the website.

Occasionally opposing counsel would notice and the ribbing we would have to take . . .
                  Last edited by mebejoseph; January 7, 2020, 05:48 PM.

Comment

It is now Smooth Spanish leather so I guess they still check the thread, or someone narced us out.

Comment

I have a suit I bought from there about a year and a half ago, so after they restructured themselves. With 3-4 wears a month, it's holding relatively strong. I don't know if it will last another year and a half without looking bad and things falling apart, but then I got it as a cheap weekly rotation suit, so it's a worthy enough of a purchase.

Comment

I have a few for multiple years now. (Black, charcoal, navy, grey windowpane, blue double breasted, grey double breasted, tuxedo) I’m not a regular suit wearer, but when I do wear a suit, I’m wearing it for 12-18 hour days at band competitions, with sweating, school busses, and high school student issues, so take that into consideration. The only issues I’ve had are button threading, and having them come undone. A few have been tailored twice (Hurray 40lb weight loss!) and they’re still going well. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The suits probably aren't bad, they just aren't as good as they say they are. There are enough suits in this price range, I don't know why people keep testing them out... if you have the money to risk on a suit sold by people notorious for their dishonesty, why not spend it on a better suit?

Comment

Originally posted by ryn View Post
                            The suits probably aren't bad, they just aren't as good as they say they are. There are enough suits in this price range, I don't know why people keep testing them out... if you have the money to risk on a suit sold by people notorious for their dishonesty, why not spend it on a better suit?
                            Knowing where to shop can put one in possession of totally NWT suitsupply for under 4 bills (and we're talking stuff that's in the 599-699 range on their website). Barring that one can go with any of Spier's frequent sale codes and get fantastic suiting for under $300 on the regular.

It just boggles the mind. But hey, if it works for them then it works for them and I'm not gonna disparage. I'll certainly try to educate though.
                            https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

My thing is their sleeves and jacket waist are somehow exactly fit for me. Thus, if I spend $90–$120 on one of their suits, I only need to spend $15 altering the trousers, not also $60 altering the jacket. It becomes a really cheap purchase instead of just somewhat less expensive. This is just me, obviously.

Also, having worked in supply chain, I understand what happened to them before. I'm not trying to make excuses for them, I just get it if you took orders, had an established lead time, and then suddenly that lead time is kicked out 6 months and with thousands of refund requests. The part that was no so good is not swallowing the pill and telling people not only is your lead time broken, but you don't have the finances to refund everyone / don't have the staff to process all the refunds. That was really bad for reputation, coming clean would have looked much better.
                              Last edited by ianr; January 10, 2020, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X