No announcement yet.

Combatant Gentleman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was curious myself and went to check the site out. Seems like its dead in the water+no social activity. Shame too, because before they went down the tubes, their 'workhorse' pants and poplin spread collar shirts were ace. Still have two of both. Hope Vishaal tries to revive the company in the future.

Comment

The products they made were decent quality at a reasonable price. The service quality turned to crap pretty quickly. Even worse, they continued to make promises they couldn't keep to attempt to avoid refunds. They would likely have to make a full re-brand in order to start back up.

Comment

Originally posted by batkins9 View Post
        The products they made were decent quality at a reasonable price. The service quality turned to crap pretty quickly. Even worse, they continued to make promises they couldn't keep to attempt to avoid refunds. They would likely have to make a full re-brand in order to start back up.
        Could very well be exactly what they're doing. Never know.

I'm reasonably satisfied with the 3-piece I picked up off a member here. Saddened to hear of all the issues other members had with them. Glad the only issues I had were poor emails back and forth and I opted to go elsewhere.
        https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

https://dappered.com/2017/09/has-com...t-of-business/

Frankly I'm not surprised... nothing about this outfit ever left me with anything but a bad taste in my mouth.
          Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
            https://dappered.com/2017/09/has-com...t-of-business/

Frankly I'm not surprised... nothing about this outfit ever left me with anything but a bad taste in my mouth.
            Same here. Came pretty close to pulling the trigger a couple times, but I'm glad I opted for SuitSupply and J. Crew as per everyone's recommendations.

I just hope Jomers keeps its act together long enough for me to make up an excuse to buy one of their suits I'm always a fan of supporting small menswear companies, as long as they're doing right by their customers. CG clearly was clearly doing some shady shit

Comment

I almost bought a bag from them at one point, but even 18 months ago they were having issues completing orders. The constant defense they were running on social media and on message boards really highlighted a lack of empathy towards the customer so I went with something from Everlane instead. Everything I read about them left me a little iffy on their company, even the name. Glad I never pulled the trigger.

Comment

I've got one of their suits, which is OK. It's from early on when the quality was better. I also have a midnight blue shawl collar tux from them which is actually very nice. Sorry they lost their way. They had a chance to fill a niche, but failed miserably.

Comment

No surprise. Such an odd story. I'm pleased with the items I have from them with the pricing to frame perspective. I don't wear suits very often and it makes little financial sense for me to spend several hundred on a single suit. CG had the appearance of offering quality fabrics with asian manufacturing cost savings. The Summit series suits were quite nice. Their customer service was an odd gamble of amazing and terrible, seemingly at the same time. When I pre-ordered a few pairs of the shoes they branded, they ended up shipping to people that bought stock once they arrived instead of shipping to pre-orders first. When I complained that I had been waiting months for my preorder while they were shipping regular stock orders, they credited all of my money back and still sent the shoes as a good gesture. My last order with them had much worse customer service and that was the end of my support for them.

I won't risk my money with Vishaal again. It's clear he was either in over his head or just using his family connections to pull a hustle. If there's a reboot of CG, I'll grab some popcorn and watch from a distance.

Comment

Joe ripped these guys from pillar to post, which is probably appropriate. I will say, when I ordered from them a few times from late '15 to early '16, I never had issues with receiving items on time. This seemed to be the exception, rather the rule. The two suits I had were good for the price I paid. But the last order I did, the clothes wound up in some Goodwill in KC (no offense to Goodwill). Just terrible from quality, feel, and fit. Also, the fact they can't seem to keep a damn thing in stock just pissed me off to no end.

I think I knew something was up this year when they would have a 25% store wide sale on Fridays and Saturdays, and then it would jump to 30% on Sundays. These guys definitely deserve the excoriation, condemnation, and virulence they're receiving.

Comment

Interesting timing since I just pulled out my Toecap chelseas to start wearing as the temps cool. I was thinking about maybe picking up another pair of shoes from them... oh well.

I'm one of the lucky ones that didn't have the CS issues, but there's too much evidence of problems to ignore.
                      6'4" 210lbs, 40L, 15.5/35, 35x34

Comment

I know there are more than a few people happy to tap dance on CG's grave. While they blew their rep because of poor logistics and customer service, their suits were and are a good value. When they started in 2012, they seem to have had some labelling issues, but Vishaal seemed to go out of his way to prove that his suits were made of what they said.

I have about 6 or 7 suits from them, and they look and fit well despite somewhat heavy use for about 3 years. I don't have to wear suits as much, so they've been getting more rest time, but everytime I wear one it gets positive feedback. Their shirts and chinos were made fine, but the fit started slim a got worse as I put on a little weight. For example, the arm holes were really high, and that wasn't a weight issue on my part (I'm 5'10" and weigh about 190). I think it was more an issue of taking a sartorial trait to tge extreme end. Going to the athletic fit gave you a sack for a shirt, so there was no winning there.

Overall, if they had been able to keep up their service quality as demand increased, they would have had well-earned success. Spier and Mackay comes to mind in that regard. Unfortunately, CG made too many promises that they couldn't keep. I suppose it was a sign of things to come when they started using wool from other companies instead of using their own supply chain (Joe seems to doubt they had their own sheep) and their prices went up. Then they started charging for shipping that was free at on point. Then the delays which created all of the negative feedback. As someone earlier mentioned, they probably fell behind on paying whoever shipped their goods. Once those dominos fell, it was all over for them. Oh, well. There are other online vendors that carry what I want.

Comment

Originally posted by udub86 View Post
                          I think I knew something was up this year when they would have a 25% store wide sale on Fridays and Saturdays, and then it would jump to 30% on Sundays. These guys definitely deserve the excoriation, condemnation, and virulence they're receiving.
                          This was my thought exactly. Bit the hook on the emails a couple times to see if there were any good deals but they barely had any stock! Finally un-subbed from the emails and that's that.

Comment

It seemed to me like they bit off more than they could chew. I never saw what Joe originally reviewed. What I purchased was after they were a bit more mature (around the time you saw people calling for him to do another review) and honestly it is a fine suit. I wore it today actually and I have been complimented on it in the past. Then they started offering pocket squares (which were garbage), shoes, bags, etc. and at the same time they were always out of stock with suits. Maybe if they would have stuck with their initial offerings for a little while instead of expanding and making garbage they might still be around?

Comment

Originally posted by mattsedlak View Post
                              It seemed to me like they bit off more than they could chew. I never saw what Joe originally reviewed. What I purchased was after they were a bit more mature (around the time you saw people calling for him to do another review) and honestly it is a fine suit. I wore it today actually and I have been complimented on it in the past. Then they started offering pocket squares (which were garbage), shoes, bags, etc. and at the same time they were always out of stock with suits. Maybe if they would have stuck with their initial offerings for a little while instead of expanding and making garbage they might still be around?
                              I got one of there cheap black suits within there 1st year, paid $140 I think It compares to my Zara suit( cheap looking and too much padding) but on my CG lost money tailoring as it was not very slim but I don't plan to buy another black suit since is only for funerals.. I agree should have perfected and focus on there suits and shirts first at that price range.

Comment

So does this mean they had to sell their sheep farm?

Comment

Working...
                                X