Combatant Gentleman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Devon View Post
    Anyone have problems logging in to the site today? I was trying to log in to print a return label for my last order, and it's just not working. I tried Chrome and Internet Explorer, but when I type in my login information and hit the button, it does nothing.
    I've had problems before with Firefox. I've had to shut down Ghostery, Adblock, and delete the cookies for that site and log back in again. I've had the same issue at home and at the office. Sometimes I have to reload the "my account" page to get my orders to show up.

Comment

Got the double monks suede in today. Off the bat the suede is very soft. Has a nice nap to it. Nap a word? Lets say it is. Was hoping the color was a little more brown. The buckles were nice as well and the shoes comes with a shoe horn and a shoe bag. For me I'll be sending these back because I also don't like how the shoe pops out under the ankle. Probably do to how soft the suede is.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Comment

My brown cap toes and brown double monks showed up today. I'm quite happy with the quality for the price. The fit is excellent for me. The cap toes exceeded my expectations. The color is beautiful. As noted above, the color is a bit light on the monks, but I did not have the ankle issue. Both pairs fit me very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Shife View Post
          My brown cap toes and brown double monks showed up today. I'm quite happy with the quality for the price. The fit is excellent for me. The cap toes exceeded my expectations. The color is beautiful. As noted above, the color is a bit light on the monks, but I did not have the ankle issue. Both pairs fit me very well.

Can any one comment on the suede driver or the brown loafer?

Also whats the consensus on the the workhorse dress pant?

Comment

Originally posted by Cam_Nyc View Post
            Can any one comment on the suede driver or the brown loafer?

Also whats the consensus on the the workhorse dress pant?
            I've bought all 3.

Summary: I was not a fan of the shoes. For the price, I like the dress pants a lot.

SHOES:

Pros:
            - Good presentation. Comes in a nice box with a plastic shoehorn, dust bags, etc. The shoehorn is definitely the cheapest plastic shoehorn I've ever seen, and the bags are paper thin, but still a nice touch.
            - The leather on the loafer wasn't bad at all. It doesn't look like a $300 shoe, but there is a semblance of depth to the color.

Cons:
            - VERY plasticky smell once you open each box. It goes away, but YIKES.
            - They run a little long and are sized inconsistently. I bought multiple sizes, and it seemed like the loafers ran a size larger than the drivers.
            - Not much "nap" to the drivers at all. Decently coarse feeling to it. Felt more nubuck to me than suede...not the worst thing in the world, but just an FYI. The brown suede is very dark. Some contrast stitching would've brought some more life to it.
            - Neither the drivers nor the loafers "feel" very high quality on your feet. Both have a thin, plasticky leather feel to them--not terribly soft, supple, or thick. On the whole, they felt like the super cheap shoes you can get fast fashion joints like H&M or Topshop--maybe a tiny notch above, but not enough to catapult them into another category. In other words, you pay for what you get.

If I could make a hierarchy: Allen Edmonds >> Cole Haan > Banana Republic > CG/Toecap > Topshop > H&M.

But in their defense, pretty much none of the above companies sell shoes for $65 at MSRP. I would guess that at a rival fast fashion company, they would be $100 shoes. But still, $100 shoes aren't great.

DRESS PANTS:

Not bad!

Pros:
            - Wool quality. I complain about the fit and construction of their stuff a lot, but these guys know how to source wool (in fact, they do it themselves). The wool is a little on the thin side (and is 40% poly), but it's quite soft on the skin. Doesn't look cheap at all. Drapes reasonably well. I have worn these pants in front of some snobby friends who assumed I paid much more for these.
            - Fit. Not bad at all. The fit is slim but comfortable through the thighs, and it goes down to a reasonable taper. Perfectly appropriate for a conservative work environment. If you wear the 770s from J.Crew or a 513 from Levi's, these will work for you (not an identical fit at all, but I believe that dress clothes should be noticeably looser than jeans/casualwear).

Cons:
            - Maybe they've updated the fit, but the sizing dimensions given online are definitely not accurate. A lot of vanity sizing in my pair--needed them to be taken in over an inch at the waist. Also, they ran long.
            - They use the same super thick waistband in the pants that they do in their suits. It's a little annoying.
            - The drape is good, but not perfect. Since the wool is very lightweight and 40% poly, it's tough to get a good break on them (you need next to no break, otherwise they lay very sloppily), and they sway a lot if I'm walking.

On the whole, these are a steal for $25-35. Where else can you get slim wool(ish) dress pants for that cheap? Head to head, I prefer my Jomers wools more and my JCF bedford wools more, but they're at least double the price. Probably the best cost-to-quality item that CG sells, after their suits (which may or may not work for you, due to the shoulder padding).

FYI: I own both the "endurance" and "workhorse" pants, and I did not tell a difference (one has elastane, one doesn't).

Comment

EDIT: On second thought, I gave the loafers another shot, and they're really not bad for the price. I'm going to keep them.

I originally DQ'd them because they run very big (definitely a size longer than the suede drivers, which run TTS), but the leather is decently thick and supple, the color is fine (a little more uniform/dull than BR's beloved Paul Loafer, but not terrible), and they're decently comfortable. I would compare the leather quality to JCP's Deacon, which is also surprisingly solid for the price.

I think I'm going to buy some tongue pads and make it work. Really can't ask for much more at $65. The BR Paul Loafer might still be a better buy once 40% off (140 - 40% = $84), but they're not coming back in stock for almost 3 months.

Comment

Vishaal recently sent me a suit from their new tailored fit line for me to review. I am going to tailor it this week and then review it. However, I wanted to share some pics while the suits are still available. I'll be honest in that I never was crazy about the skinny lapels and more structured shoulders of their suits. That's fine for lots of guys, but not what I like. However, they really changed it up with the tailored fit. The lapels are wider and the shoulders are soft. The chest piece is also surprisingly soft. Not Suitsupply Hudson soft, but considerably softer than most suits out there.

I ordered my normal size I would wear in Suitsupply, a 38. The jacket is not as slim as a Suitsupply 38. In hindsight, I should have went with a 36. I went with 32 trousers, knowing my waist would fit into 30. The pants are slim, but not skinny. I should have went with a 30 pant. So basically I should have sized down a full size from Suitsupply. However, If I bulk up some, I'll be glad to have the extra chest and shoulder room. I will probably have the jacket waist tapered about two inches.

Full disclosure, I did not pay for the suit. Vishaal asked for an unbiased review. I am not being paid to promote them. If I thought the suit sucked, I would say it sucked. For $230-240, these suits are an excellent value. The fabric is lovely. I went with the charcoal birdseye, which is more of a mid grey. It is from the Italian Mill, Marlane. If you have any questions I'll answer them. Here are some pics:

ps I know it's hard to believe these are combat gent suits. If you liked the other models, you probably won't like this model. But if you're like me, you may prefer this. Again, I can enthusiastically say that I believe that these suits are an excellent value.
                My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Comment

What are the lining options?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Comment

Combatant Gentleman

Originally posted by Dun View Post
                    What are the lining options?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
                    The wool suits are all fully lined but they have two cotton ones up one their website that I believe are butterfly lined. Also I received word from a customer service rep that they have four summit blazers in the new tailored fit that should be out in late July. They'll be sourced from Italian mill Reda and from the one picture on their website (in the coming soon section) they appear to be butterfly lined.

Comment

Originally posted by mmgfarb View Post
                      The wool suits are all fully lined but they have two cotton ones up one their website that I believe are butterfly lined. Also I received word from a customer service rep that they have four summit blazers in the new tailored fit that should be out in late July. They'll be sourced from Italian mill Reda and from the one picture on their website (in the coming soon section) they appear to be butterfly lined.
                      Mine is fully lined. According to the website the lining is Bemberg.
                      My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Comment

Originally posted by thecharlesg View Post
                        Mine is fully lined. According to the website the lining is Bemberg.
                        That's interesting, last week, the wool ones were listed as having their regular poly/rayon lining and the cotton ones were listed as having a bemberg lining. I guess they updated the information, hopefully it's right and they actually do have bemberg lining. I ordered all three wool options when they had their July fourth sale so I got each for around $200, they're supposed to be here on Wednesday so hopefully they fit me well.

Comment

That's interesting, last week, the wool ones were listed as having their regular poly/rayon lining and the cotton ones were listed as having a bemberg lining. I guess they updated the information, hopefully it's right and they actually do have bemberg lining. I ordered all three wool options when they had their July fourth sale so I got each for around $200, they're supposed to be here on Wednesday so hopefully they fit me well.
                          Hi there! You are correct. All our Tailored Fit Suits, both wool and cotton, have Bemberg lining. Hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by Combatant Gentlemen View Post
                            Hi there! You are correct. All our Tailored Fit Suits, both wool and cotton, have Bemberg lining. Hope this helps!
                            Yes, that's great to hear. I wasn't told a price point for summit blazers coming out this month, do you know around how much they'll be?

Comment

Yes, that's great to hear. I wasn't told a price point for summit blazers coming out this month, do you know around how much they'll be?
                              Our new Summit Blazers will be in the $180-200 range--all using Reda fabric.

Comment

Originally posted by Combatant Gentlemen View Post
                                Our new Summit Blazers will be in the $180-200 range--all using Reda fabric.
                                Awesome, can't wait. If you need someone to review one you can feel free to send me one [emoji57]

Comment

Working...
                                X