How should Chinos fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How should Chinos fit?

I use to fit into bonobos 30/30 pants perfectly but it seems like they've changed their sizes a bit and I'm now between a 30/32 and a 31/32.

The 30/32 was really snug upon first wearing and is slimmer in the thigh than I'd like. However, after wearing it and tugging at it it fits much better now, although I created some "stretch marks" on the waist band area. Are you suppose to normally buy chinos that are a little bit more snug than normal upon first wearing?

The 31/32 is looser but still fits my legs well, it actually fits better in the leg area than the 30/32 since I'm not as big of a fan of the slim look, However, I would need a belt for this whereas the 30/32 I would not.

Out of these two sizes, which one would be the better fit?

I don't think I'd ever not wear a belt with chinos. Granted, I don't want to NEED a belt, but it's a fun spot to do something interesting in your outfit. So...if the 30's are too tight, go w/ the 31's. That said, I've actually been wearing a new pair of bonobos around the house all day, and they do seem to have stretched a little into a well fitting chino; maybe an inch extra fabric around the thigh (pinch sides, 1/2" spare x 2 = 1"). These are the game days; maybe the others stretch more/less, I don't know.wear the 30's for a day. Heck, sleep in them tonight. See if they fit more to your liking. I'm breaking these game days and a pair of B denim in ATM; def like both.

Comment

OnlyShawn -

Ah thanks for the reply. I guess my main question was whether one is suppose to buy chinos like a pair of jeans that is meant to be stretched out after a couple wears. seems like you think buying snugger chinos and them breaking them in is the norm?

Comment

Well, depends on how tailored you want em. Ive been moving toward more and more tailored; not skinny, just fitting me well w/o a ton of extra fabric. Tighter things at first, assuming they stretch a bit, work great.

Comment

Do some Joey-style lunges with them on (Friends, where he's wearing all of Chandler's clothes....ah, crap, I just forfeited my man card, didn't I?)

Comment

I wear belts all the time, but it's not because my pants need them to stay up. I would go with the pants that stay at your waist comfortably without a belt for this reason: if you need a belt, the fabric at the waist will bunch up under the belt.

Maybe the Bonobos chinos just aren't the right fit off the rack for you. Getting the waist brought in on the otherwise perfect larger size may be the solution. Either way, if the pants don't fit right, you probably won't wear them very much. Fit first! =P

Comment

ah yes, there is a little bunch up on the 31/32 vs the 30/32. I guess I'll go for the smaller one and just stretch it out myself.

Comment

Working...
              X