Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Owning one black dress shoe: boot or oxford?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Owning one black dress shoe: boot or oxford?

Hey guys, I know every guy should have one quality pair of black dress shoes. Should this be a black oxford or shoe? I currently have the Allen edmonds Fifth avenue boot but I am wondering if I should return it and go for a dress balamor oxford like their fifth street instead...they are identical in look! I think a boot would be more versatile for me (I don't own any at all) but wonder if its really faux pas to show up to a interview in dress boot.

What industry are you in, and what part of the world?

Based on what I've seen in the engineering sector of the southern US, only 2% of people have any kind of balmoral. I don't have one yet because I don't wear suits more than once or twice a year. I would say whether it's a boot or oxford, you're doing better than most candidates. If you think you will get more use out of a boot, then I don't see the issue. It's also rare for me to show the sock area during an interview; usually the interviewer is sitting across from me with a table in between. A keen eye can spot a boot during the handshake but I wouldn't worry about it unless you work in a conservative field like a lawyer or doctor perhaps.

Out of curiosity: Why do you think you will get more use out of the boot? I love boots myself but sometimes I think they can be restricting.

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

I'm in the healthcare industry out west.

Yea I think I'll get the boots instead then. I just think I'll get more out of dress boots cause I think they are more appropriate if I want to dress down with jeans. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Comment

Acoustic, I personally think that your nicest shoes should not be boots. But that's just me. I also think that the Strand and McAllister have a nicer silhouette than the Dalton or Fifth Street.

Comment

brushetta - I actually have a pair of strands in walnut! They look very nice.

The reason why I was looking for a black shoe was because from what I understand, a closet staple is a minimal black shoe like the Allen Edmonds Park avenues. It has a lot less brogue than the strands or mcalisters. I figured I'd add just the captor brogue with the fifth series boots since I don't think I'll need something so conservative as the park avenues.

The walnut strands are actually my nicest dress shoes but I don't know if they are appropriate for me to pair with the thompson factory suit thet I bought since the suit it charcoal grey.

Comment

Acoustic, walnut is actually fine with charcoal. Walnut is not fine with navy.

I have trouble finding times to wear my Fifth Avenues. They're too formal for anything but funerals, concerts, recitals, etc. They're also more bulbous, for a lack of a better word, than the Strands.

Comment

Acoustic, you def can wear the strands with grey, it just calls for good coordination becasue it can easily be messed up. I am no fan of the boring park avenue (well the black on, i saw the merlots and am currently scowering the boards to find a pair) But I do think you should own a pair of more conservative shoes and i think the fifth avenues are perfect. wasnt aware they made park avenue boots though

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
              I>0<I

Comment

@ bruschetta, and why is walnut not fine with navy?

Comment

When you are talking about blue and brown, in this case navy, the tone of the shoe should match the tone of the suit. Thus, dark brown shoes go with navy and lighter brown shoes like walnut would go with an actual blue suit. More like this

http://www.suitsupply.com/shop/1.P3079/Suit?filter_27=728

It can handle a lighter shoe. Depending on the tone in person it may even work with a chestnut/walnut.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

http://books.google.com/books?id=rnI9aE0lVUsC&pg=PA19&lpg=PA19&dq=jfk+blue +suit+brown+shoes&source=bl&ots=YvLTcovxte&sig=uCE zsEKgfkZAqq_m6s-FbSZgeKE&hl=en&ei=x9PjTvKtHISsiQKEt4CrBg&sa=X&oi=b ook_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CDEQ6AEwAQ#v=on epage&q=jfk%20blue%20suit%20brown%20shoes&f=false

Tat, click the link above. A blue suit with brown shoes is considered a style faux pas. There are people who will say that this rule no longer applies, but those people have a term in popular culture: hipsters.

(For clarity's sake, that last bit was tongue-in-cheek.)

Comment

For me, Glenn O'Brien says it best.

http://www.gq.com/style/style-guy/shoes/200501/navy-suit-brown

http://www.gq.com/style/style-guy/shoes/200007/blue-suit-matching

And this guy, pretty intense, but looking sharp:

http://www.gq.com/style/wear-it-now/...deshow#slide=3

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

So what color options would walnut shoes work with. I normal use my walnut Sanfords with my Sharkskin grey suit only. But am curious what else would pair with them properly. I have darker brown for my other suit colors and of course a couple black shoes.

Comment

I have to disagree with Bruschetta on this one... I think a brown shoe goes fine with a navy suit. Yes, there was a point when brown shoes didn't go with navy suits, but that was also a point in time when brown shoes were considered solely casual wear. (Also a point in time when men were still expected to wear hats and morning coats with pinstriped pants - it's a popular, but false, fashion myth that JFK himself killed the hat.) I don't think JFK was pissed because he was wearing brown shoes with a blue suit, he was pissed because he was wearing brown shoes.

Today, in the most conservative professions (typically financiers), brown shoes remain a faux pas in any context. But for most people, brown shoes are perfectly acceptable in both dressy and casual situations. I personally think brown shoes go really well with blue suits, a la:

http://tomkolovos.files.wordpress.co...-with-blue.jpg

Ben

Comment

Working...
                          X