In between sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In between sizes

I purchased a great J. Crew Mayfair coat but it seems that I fall right between the medium and the large slim. The medium works very well with just a shirt, but is too small with a sweater or sports jacket/suit. The large slim is too big. I'm concerned that if I have a tailor take the large in a little bit so that it fits well with a suit underneath, it'll still be too big to I with just a shirt. Any tips here on prioritizing? I'm in just a shirt 95% of the time but don't want to look awkward when I have more on under the coat.

i say this with absolutely no snark, but....lose a little weight to fit right into the medium? (assuming when you say that large is "too big" you're talking in the shoulders.)

if the large fits right in the shoulders, then it's very likely a tailored fit for you bringing it to your...umm...tailor.

ba-doom-ching.

Comment

Heh, if anything, I'd rather gain weight to fit into the large. I'm 5'11", 175-180, and I have an 11" chest to waist drop. If I were to lose weight, I think it'd only come off of areas that I don't want to make smaller (though I'm not a bodybuilder). Plus, I finally hit a 2.5x body weight deadlift and have no desire to stop lifting.

Thanks for the thoughts, the shoulders are actually the trouble spot. Great without a jacket in the medium, too tight with a jacket, making the arms look weird where they bulge out below the shoulders.

Comment

I'd say you probably want an overcoat to fit kind of loose so you have room to layer under it. I'd go with the large. Of course, you could shop around for other coats if you don't like how either one fits.

Comment

Stick with the medium. No reason to be unhappy 95% of the time to make yourself happy 5% of the time. Go thrifting for a coat that will fit over a sweater or jacket.

Comment

Working...
          X