Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brent k
    replied
    Chunky cardigans really take care of this.

I tuck the tie into the dress shirt at about the third button. Bulge be gone!

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied
    Helloooo zombie thread.

Leave a comment:

• Duvel
    replied
    Depends on the thickness of the sweater, too. If it's the ususal thinner v-neck in something like merino, it's going to look natural to see an outline or a bulge from the tie. I think it would be odd not to see it. It would be like, "So where's the rest of your tie under that sweater?"

Leave a comment:

• frost
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Duvel
    replied
    What Albert says.

You think somebody like Steve McQueen would worry about his bulge showing? Let's keep things in perspective.

Leave a comment:

• kyle.
    replied
    The answer

Originally posted by amiller View Post
    Because of the recent drop in temperature, I have been wearing sweaters over my dress shirts/ties. Is there a trick to keeping your tie from creating a bulge in the sweater?... Especially when sitting down.

step 1. get a thin tie.
    step 2. tie it short so that the big part ends on your nipple line/a little lower
    step 3. tuck the long tail in your shirt

you can still have a tight knot (not too big because of thin tie) but it doesn't go to your stomach, no bulge. Knot is still visible and you have the sweater on so no one knows the tie is tied short.

Leave a comment:

• YackoYak
    replied

I just wore a tie under my v neck sweater last night; slim navy tie under a khaki BR silk/cashmere v-neck. The bulge was there but not that noticeable (I didn't tuck the tie into my shirt). The only issue I had with that look is that the darker tie showed through under the thin, light-colored sweater (I had on a light shirt).

For me, I'm not trying to look like I just stepped off the runway because chances are I'll miss some detail and it will look "off". Or I will move a bit too far and something will get knocked out of place. My perspective is similar Albert's; as a man I should care about my appearance and be well put together, but not so much so that it becomes my purpose. I know this line is different for everyone. IMO, part of being a well-dressed man is not caring about some things (even breaking some rules) and having the swagger to pull it off.

Leave a comment:

• MaxMan
    replied

I am not really sure the need for a tie bar under a sweater is really warranted. Wouldnt it also show through a sweater?

Leave a comment:

• rey_rodriguez
    replied

I am curious has anyone tried a tie bar? In theory a well placed one would help eliminate the bulge if not minimize it...?

Leave a comment:

• MaxMan
    replied

I side with Albert on this one, people wont be too concerned with your bulge

9unless your in the military and all they want are crisp lines, i think the bulge isnt an issue but if you do, I definately think Sal's point is the correct way to do it. Its the military look. ie this guy

Leave a comment:

• paul_leason
    replied

great read, i was wondering about this a few days ago when i also noticed i had a bulge

Leave a comment:

• nicholascrawford
    replied

If it's a v-neck sweater, I think it's pretty well assumed where the bulge is coming from. If it were a crewneck, it probably would look weird.

Leave a comment:

• glen_delossantos
    replied

I have both when I sit down

@amiller - thanks for posting this question. I was going to post the exact same question today.

Leave a comment:

• Acousticfoodie
    replied

Better to have a tie bulge than muffin top bulge

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    replied

Bulge jokes aside, what Albert said. Anyone that notices a bulge should also be observant enough to see you are wearing a tie and connect the dots.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X