Wearing a tie under a sweater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wearing a tie under a sweater

Because of the recent drop in temperature, I have been wearing sweaters over my dress shirts/ties. Is there a trick to keeping your tie from creating a bulge in the sweater?... Especially when sitting down.

I would like to know this, too. I always get an awkward tie bulge when I wear one under a sweater, which is why I have taken to wearing a tie OR a sweater but never both.

Ben

Comment

Not sure if it's a valid solution for you but I usually wear a cardigan if I'm going to wear a tie under a sweater. The buttons take the attention away from any bulge, at least I can't tell *shrug*

Comment

Have you tried tucking the tie into the shirt at the point below where it is visible? The shirt might be better at holding it in than the sweater. Shouldn't feel too weird if you have an undershirt on, although I have never tried this. Personally it's not something I have ever even thought about. My guess would be nobody else will either.

Comment

Let it bulge. What's the problem? Clothes should look like they're lived in, not like you just stepped out of your dressing room. If it's that big of a concern tuck it into your shirt in between buttons. I'd say don't worry about it though. No one worth knowing is actually going to care about your tie bulge.

Comment

Bulge jokes aside, what Albert said. Anyone that notices a bulge should also be observant enough to see you are wearing a tie and connect the dots.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Better to have a tie bulge than muffin top bulge

Comment

I have both when I sit down

@amiller - thanks for posting this question. I was going to post the exact same question today.

Comment

If it's a v-neck sweater, I think it's pretty well assumed where the bulge is coming from. If it were a crewneck, it probably would look weird.

Comment

great read, i was wondering about this a few days ago when i also noticed i had a bulge

Comment

I side with Albert on this one, people wont be too concerned with your bulge

9unless your in the military and all they want are crisp lines, i think the bulge isnt an issue but if you do, I definately think Sal's point is the correct way to do it. Its the military look. ie this guy

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
                      I>0<I

Comment

I am curious has anyone tried a tie bar? In theory a well placed one would help eliminate the bulge if not minimize it...?

Comment

I am not really sure the need for a tie bar under a sweater is really warranted. Wouldnt it also show through a sweater?

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
                          I>0<I

Comment

I just wore a tie under my v neck sweater last night; slim navy tie under a khaki BR silk/cashmere v-neck. The bulge was there but not that noticeable (I didn't tuck the tie into my shirt). The only issue I had with that look is that the darker tie showed through under the thin, light-colored sweater (I had on a light shirt).

For me, I'm not trying to look like I just stepped off the runway because chances are I'll miss some detail and it will look "off". Or I will move a bit too far and something will get knocked out of place. My perspective is similar Albert's; as a man I should care about my appearance and be well put together, but not so much so that it becomes my purpose. I know this line is different for everyone. IMO, part of being a well-dressed man is not caring about some things (even breaking some rules) and having the swagger to pull it off.

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

The answer

Originally posted by amiller View Post
                              Because of the recent drop in temperature, I have been wearing sweaters over my dress shirts/ties. Is there a trick to keeping your tie from creating a bulge in the sweater?... Especially when sitting down.

step 1. get a thin tie.
                              step 2. tie it short so that the big part ends on your nipple line/a little lower
                              step 3. tuck the long tail in your shirt

you can still have a tight knot (not too big because of thin tie) but it doesn't go to your stomach, no bulge. Knot is still visible and you have the sweater on so no one knows the tie is tied short.

Comment

Working...
                              X