Banana Republic Factory Suiting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banana Republic Factory Suiting?

Just got an email from BR Factory this morning: 50% off all suiting until the 21st.

Not a bad deal. Does anyone have experience with their suits? There's a store within reasonable distance of me, and I want to see if it's worth making the trip out there.

Originally posted by @andrew View Post
    Just got an email from BR Factory this morning: 50% off all suiting until the 21st.

Not a bad deal. Does anyone have experience with their suits? There's a store within reasonable distance of me, and I want to see if it's worth making the trip out there.
    Most of them are some sort of poly-blend. They're also different fits than the main line BR suits. I'd skip them if I were you, unless you're in dire need of a suit for cheap.

Comment

I'd suggest skipping them too. They don't fit the same as the actual BR suits and the materials aren't as nice either.

Comment

Depending on the distance, I would check them out and here is my personal experience. While I do not own a suit coat from BRF, I own some of their pants which I love. The fits are a little different so you would need to try them on as sizing could be a little different. But the pants have held up well and are comparable in my opinion to mainline BR. They hold the pants crease a little longer than normal BR but that could be the blend in the pants helping with that.

So I would say try it out as there is usually a JCF close to a BRF and you could compare.

Comment

Personally, I dont like the fit of them, or the material. I think they feel and look cheap, and for the extra bit of money, the JCF suits look a ton better. The mall here has a JCF and BRF across from each other. I would spend no time in BRF if my wife didnt like their stuff for work.

Comment

Same here. At this point there's not much I like in BRF (besides their jeans that I picked up last year). Only time we go in there is when the wife needs some pants.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
              Same here. At this point there's not much I like in BRF (besides their jeans that I picked up last year). Only time we go in there is when the wife needs some pants.
              Last year, they had the mainline extra-fine merino v neck sweaters, which are solid basics, for something like $25. They'll also occasionally have jackets (non-tailored) that are decent. I've also found a few polos on clearance.

Comment

Comment

No experience with their suiting but I agree that they can have some deals on occasion. I have picked up a few chinos, crew neck sweaters, and polos from them back in early September on the cheap. For how much I paid, I am very pleased.

Comment

I own 4 BRF (hahah, when read that way, it makes me laugh) suits, but I doubt I'll buy any more. They are all 'tailored fit', or something like that, and fit me pretty well. The first one I bought was 100% wool, so it seemed like a good deal. The last 3 were all super cheap, (like $80 or less for the entire suit) because I happened to find them in my size on the clearance rack, plus some additional ~40% off sale. I liked the way they look, but they are all poly blends. It wasn't even something I thought about at the times when I purchased them. Seems like all their suits are poly-blend these days. They all get pretty infrequent wear, so it doesn't really bother me too much. But, I'll look elsewhere next time I buy a suit.

Comment

Originally posted by @andrew View Post

Why do they, and you, use the word "suiting"?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/suiting

Comment

Originally posted by JT10000 View Post
                        Why do they, and you, use the word "suiting"?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/suiting
                        Maybe the same reason we say denim. Also, another dictionary site has an additional definition: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/suiting

Comment

Alright, going to resurrect this thread because I just got back from Banana Republic Factory.

After I posted this, I went to Macy's to find an inexpensive suit for a few events I have coming up. I purchased an Alfani Red for $180, which was a total waste. Returned a few days later after deciding that the armholes were way too low.

Then, I went to JCP to check out the Claiborne suit that Joe did a post on a few months ago. I bought it for $180, but after spending a few days with it, I started to feel that the fabric was really poor quality. The fit was good, but it really felt like it was on the verge of unraveling. I tried to convince myself to keep it, because I need a suit this weekend, but I ended up returning it today.

Then I headed over to BRF, with pretty low hopes. But I was really pleasantly surprised. Most of the suits were 100% wool, and felt on par with, if not better than, the Alfani Red fabric. And the fit was better than anything I've tried on so far. Armholes are high, shoulders are really minimally padded, and the pants are a true slim fit. Of all the suits in the store, I saw only one that had any polyester in it. Most were made in Egypt.

I picked up a navy suit with subtle striping, and I couldn't be happier with it. I paid slightly over $200, but with 50% off these would be $165, which is a steal. I can post photos if anyone is interested. Fabric detail here:

In short, BRF suits are worth a second look.

EDIT: I'll also note that I purchased a JCF Thompson in wool a few months ago. I ended up returning it because of the low button stance, but from what I remember, the fabric on the BRF really feels better than the JCF did.

Comment

That's good to hear. I was disappointed when I saw so many polyester blends there a few months back. Obviously they are not the highest quality, but their suits are inexpensive and fit me well OTR.

Comment

Working...
                            X