JCF Thompson in Wool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JCF Thompson in Wool

Is the JCF Thompson jacket in wool able to function as a standalone sportcoat, or does it have the look of an orphaned suit coat? With the 50% off sale I'm thinking of picking one up, but I thought I'd get some opinions here first.

Thanks!

might want to link to the jacket you're referring to... If it's the charcoal one, I personally wouldn't wear mine as a sportcoat, but some suit jackets can be dressed down. It's got the modern / slim look going for it, so you might be able to pull it off. You're not going to get a definitive answer until you try it on. Worst case scenario, you return it.

Comment

Thanks, frost. I'm talking about the one here (http://factory.jcrew.com/mens-clothi...7226/47226.jsp), except in charcoal. Clicking on the charcoal one only opens up the navy jacket - not sure why. The charcoal one was working before.

Comment

Looks like technical difficulties on their end. That said, I personally would only wear a stand-alone wool jacket in a dark navy, like the 120 blend J.Crew jacket that had been so popular. I believe it's only sold with the gold buttons now, which is a more traditional look for a blazer. I also wear tweed and herringbone jackets in other colors from time to time, but nothing in charcoal.

Again, some folks have no problem mixing and matching suit jackets into their wardrobes. I personally look on Pinterest and Fancy, as well as your standard men's style magazines for ideas as far as how to put some of these looks together. I'm not sure anyone is going to be able to tell you that you'll be happy with it since style is so subjective. I'd recommend buying it, trying it on and even taking pictures and posting them if you're still not sure. If you don't like it... return it.

Comment

I had the navy JCF jacket briefly (wound up returning it--didn't quite fit--right size not currently available). I thought it worked fine as a stand-alone blazer. The finish texture is a little rough, not super smooth, and the buttons have some contrast.

I have since picked up the LE navy travel blazer on sale. It's quite nice, too, and it fits me.

Comment

Ended up buying the jacket and pants. If the jacket works as a sportcoat, great. If not, guess I have a new suit. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Comment

Working...
            X