Outdoor Fall Wedding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outdoor Fall Wedding

I am attending an outdoor wedding coming up and was wondering if its a no-no to wear desert boots with a suit, or jacket and slacks.

I was thinking something like
    Ludlow oxford jacket
    Navy wool slacks
    Beeswax desert boots
    Light purple gingham shirt
    Navy knit tie

Or

Navy jacket
    Gray wool slacks
    Beeswax desert boots
    Light purple gingham shirt
    Navy knit tie

I am open to other suggestions as well.

How formal is the wedding? Did they specify a level of formality? If not, what's the venue, and do you know what the party is wearing?
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~Twain

Comment

It's very small, outdoors northern California coast, I assume not super formal.

Comment

Originally posted by zmac View Post
        It's very small, outdoors northern California coast, I assume not super formal.
        If that's the case, I think it's fine. Make sure you wear a belt that suggests the same kind of rugged character.
        Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~Twain

Comment

I don't feel desert boots are appropriate to wear with a suit or dressy wool trousers, regardless of the setting. But that's your choice.
          Ben

Comment

i saw someone a few months ago wearing a worsted wool light grey suit and clarks desert boots... it was pretty bad. maybe if it were chinos & some unconstructed cotton jacket.

Comment

Thats why I asked. Not sold on the idea, but thought they fit the venue. I dont have many other shoe options to wear outdoors (cold/possibly rain) since I live in Southern California.

Open to other ideas.

Comment

I like Fey's idea above. Desert boots would work fine with cotton chinos and an unstructured jacket. Though that raises the question of whether the outfit would be appropriate for a wedding (which really depends entirely on the nature of the wedding).

A pair of wingtip boots, or something similar, could work well if you want to stick with a wool jacket and trousers. Something like the JCPenney Camlin, or the Bar III version from Macy's. Cheap, functional, and can be treated for water resistance with any number of different leather conditioning products.
                Ben

Comment

If you do a google image search for "desert boot and suit" you'll see some examples - some seem to pull it off rather well. There are other images that depict less formal dress as well - which seems to be a better match for desert boots (like Fey's suggestion above).

Comment

Yeah, that's probably too casual.

I'll probably just bring some old shoes and my Strands and go with whatever the weather has in store. The problem with buying a wingtip boot is I would almost certainly never wear it again.

I think the Strands would work fine in either of get ups listed in my first post.

Comment

Working...
                    X