Tees for guys with smaller arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tees for guys with smaller arms

Every time I see tees talked about, it seems like the focus is on the chest, waist, body length and sleeve length; people always leave out a discussion of arm-opening size. If the arm-opening is much larger than your bicep, it’s going to make the shirt look bad on you because it’s going to turn into a weird looking wing. If the arm opening is much smaller than your bicep it’s probably going to look bad, too. Ideally, you want an arm opening that’s close to the size of your bicep – there should be minimal excess, if any, but it also should not be too tight.

Now for some real-talk: too tight is way, way better than too loose – if it’s too tight, at least it’s highlighting your big ass biceps. If it’s too loose, you’re going to look puny, even if you’re actually in shape and just have smaller biceps. It is for this reason, that I’d like to discuss tees that will fit slim/skinny arms.

Everyone is always talking about H&M, Target Mossimo, American Apparel, Uniqlo, Express, but I’m skeptical of their arm-fits. Here’s why:

As a guy with 12.5” biceps, I struggle with this mightily. I’d love some input.
    My measurements, for context--> Body Type: Slim/Skinny |​ Weight: 175 lbs | Height: 6'1" | Neck: 16” | Chest: 40” | Waist: 33.5” | Shoulder: 18.75” | Sleeve: 35.5” | Bicep: 12.75” | Wrist: 6.75”

TL;DR - I have 12.5" arms (measured at bicep), 40" chest, 34" waist, 35.5" sleeve, I'm 6'1" and 175 lbs. I need help finding T-Shirts that fit my arm perfectly.

This looks like crap because of the arm flare:
    This is looks decent, but there's still a bit of extra room:
    Here's the fit I want, but for skinny arms (this guy has regular arms, not skinny). It's snug against his arms without extra room, but it's not tight. Who makes shirts that fit like this on skinny-armed guys?:

Last edited by diversification; October 10, 2013, 06:10 PM.
    My measurements, for context--> Body Type: Slim/Skinny |​ Weight: 175 lbs | Height: 6'1" | Neck: 16” | Chest: 40” | Waist: 33.5” | Shoulder: 18.75” | Sleeve: 35.5” | Bicep: 12.75” | Wrist: 6.75”

Comment

I've always wondered about this myself but I've never really had problems filling out my shirt sleeves (my arms are about the same size as yours). I'm guessing you take a size L (judging from your measurements) while I usually take a size S (5'7" 150#) which means that the sleeves on your shirts will be larger than the ones on mine, causing that billowing effect you mentioned).

Here are a few examples of how my shirts fit:

This one is from Abercrombie (gasp!) before they started plastering their logo on everything. Its one of my personal favorites because its thick and soft and I'd recommend it if you can find them without the logos on the chest and wait for a sale (I believe the tees that are in the underwear section don't have a logo).

This one is from Express and has a touch of stretch in it. It's kind of long on me in the body (as with most shirts) but its the tightest in the sleeve.

This one is from J.crew's slim fit line and is the loosest fitting of the 4. It is a really light cotton that's perfect in the summer or as a layer.

This last one is from HM and it is by far the slimmest of the shirts shown. This one is a button up and I struggled to get the buttons together after it went through the wash (once!) That's what I get for not trying on clothes before buying them (in my defense the lines to the fitting rooms at my HM are always ridiculously long)

I also have a tee from Zara but it is comically tight in my normal size and if you get something from them I'd recommend that you size up a size or even two (crazy European sizing, since when was a 37" chest considered a large?)

My best advice would be to size down or find shirts that have banded sleeves (such as polos and ringers) since they usually have tighter sleeves and the extra material helps add some visual bulk. Don't forget to do some push-ups and chin-ups! They require minimal time and equipment and really do pay off.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Thank you so much! I really am sorta surprised by the great fits. I mean even the models, who have some pretty big arms look like they have some slack. Anyway, based on your comments, it sounds like my best bet it probably is gonna be Express. Still, those other options may actually work. Interesting.

Comment

I've constantly fought this battle as well at 5'9", 135 with 12" arms. I have recently had success with slim tees from j crew and a tee that I picked up in Uniqlo (in a Chinese store - not sure if the asian sizes are different that those online), both size small. Best of luck!

Comment

+

= good place to meet the fairer sex, and improve your health and general physique.

/problem solved.

Comment

I'm a guy with skinny arms, and I have to agree with Frost: start working out. I'm doing some circuit training (before that all I did was bike and run), and after a few weeks I can tell a difference (small) in my arms and chest from lifting weights. I have access to a gym, but if I didn't, I could always do a few push-ups.

I bet I'm older than you (38), but I've dropped close to 35lbs in the last year, and I'm finally starting to see some strength in my upper body. It's never too late to start, and if you start now, the payoff will probably be quicker for you.

Comment

While I do advocate the gym, I would wholeheartedly not say it's a good place to meet the fairer sex unless you want to be 'that guy'. Gym won't bulk you up unless you want it to, but some tone is good for everyone.

Comment

I appreciate the motivational posts about the gym, and I am going to start using my gym membership. In the mean time, I still would like to find some tees that fit the bill for me, right now, so I'd appreciate more posts directly addressing my OP.

Comment

I see no reason to get into a disagreement over this, but the gym and a proper diet are not easy solutions for everyone. For hard gainers (ectomorphs), it can be extremely difficult to increase something like arm size. Of course, all of us have something to work on but we need to look dapper in the meantime, no?

Comment

div, The inexpensive Target Merona brand t-shirts have slim arms. The Uniqlo shirts do not: they are quite baggy. Hope that helps.

PS: I'm about the same weight as you, but 3" shorter, 1" smaller neck, 40" chest and 33" waist if that helps.

Comment

I have found that Arizona shirts from JCP are pretty good. I am pretty much built like you too

Comment

bruschetta and XAMfed, do you think the tees you've mentioned (Target Merona and Arizona) would have arms that are actually snug against my 12.5" arms? I mean as little slack isn't horrible, but I'd much rather if they're snug...

Comment

I have slender arms and Target's slim fit t-shirts work well for me.
                            Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                              I have slender arms and Target's slim fit t-shirts work well for me.
                              Hmmm, I'm not sure I know which ones you're referring to. The Mossimo ones are Athletic Fit, which realistically is a slim fit. Are those the ones you mean? Do they fit against your arms snugly or is there extra room?

Comment

Working...
                              X