The JCrewization of _______

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The JCrewization of _______

So we all know that a bunch of brands are stepping towards J. Crew's demo or at least starting to bring it into their demo and present it as higher style. JCrewization, as Joe once mentioned, being the word to describe the trend of following their lead. What do you guys think of this? Should J. Crew get to be J. Crew and others head in unique directions, or do you like the idea of more companies making more options along the lines of J. Crew?

I think I like this. Land's End Canvas is certainly a welcome shot into that style. I think it is worth it just for these, even (which are not distressed when they arrive, according to a review):

http://www.ae.com/web/browse/product...EO_AFF_k108283

I like the idea that everyone is following and they are all great for us becasue with such a sturated market, we the consumer benefit becasue they will all by vying for our services. I read once that many of them actually use the same factories to produce the good and thus we pay for the logo or brand. And i am by no means a logo whore so i will go to the quality products whatever its name is. LEC does it GAP BR ON do it, and many stores are trying to do it ie JC Penney, but they suck still cuz they cant get the right fits. But all in all i think its great for us...

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
    I>0<I

Comment

I have those boots, they're not distressed but given the leather quality will "distress" after just a few wears

If the sporadic AE 40% codes work on shoes I'd say they're a decent deal if you're not looking to pay $300 for premium boots.

Comment

@trash Ah, good to know. Point being, American Eagle still has their usual teenage graphics and faux vintage hoodies, but they also seem to be making some good-looking shoes and some great-looking outerwear that you might expect from a J. Crew designer, rather than an American Eagle store. I am considering getting them.

Comment

I'd have to agree about AE's direction, it's always good to have another source of lower priced clothes with good designs and fits. One thing to note though, those boots aren't made by AE, Eastland is a separate company.

Comment

Much as I would like to, I can't hate on American Eagle too much. Their clearance-priced jeans kept me dressed through college at a time when I was changing both sizes and styles at a fairly rapid pace, and had very little money to spend. Most of what I wore in those days came from the clearance sections of Old Navy, Target, or American Eagle - I couldn't have afforded anything "better."

I can't hate on Abercrombie too much for similar reasons. One of their heavy canvas jackets with faux fur lining kept me unscathed through several Minnesota winters. It was such a good, basic jacket that I would probably still be wearing it if I hadn't given it to a friend who didn't have ANY winter jacket.

Even these days I'm occasionally tempted by an item from AE, so long as it doesn't have the logo (or it's at least small and inconspicuous).

Ben

Comment

@trash I was curious about that. Whether it was theirs or they were carrying other companies. I guess the point is that at least they are trying to sell better style in addition to their usual middle/high school stuff.

Comment

Not sure about jcrewization, but in the past few years J. Crew has blown Banana Republic out of the water in terms of style, fit and quality. God bless them.

Comment

Working...
                X