Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sigtweed Corduroy
    replied
    Nice to see this thread was brought back to civil discourse.

Leave a comment:

• nicholas
    replied
    Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
    ^ I really don't know if that's a smart decision. Most people buy their shoe trees absurdly cheap at Jos A Bank or Nordstrom Rack, and at the low end, Allen Edmonds sells their shoe care products in the sub-$10 range and they come pretty well-reviewed, and these products also often go on sale (and on the high end, well, your shoes aren't competing with C&J/Alfred Sargent/and above so I'm pretty sure your creams aren't competing w/ Saphir). Obviously I have no idea how your sales are doing and if your customers are asking for shoe care products, but if they're young men starting to care about how they look they are probably using sites like this and/or Reddit and will see sales for JAB/AE shoe care products advertised regularly. Maybe you can come out with a better set of care products at a price comparable to Allen Edmonds, but I don't know how successful you'll be in selling these because frankly the leathers y'all use are not the highest quality and so people will assume the conditioners aren't the greatest either. But again, you may be doing brisk business with a customer base you've developed and might have high margins on these products and in that case it could be a win for your company.
    Agree. We've done our homework surveying our customer base and we have seen that at the end for them it's not only a matter of attainable prices but also a matter of convenience, one single order with free shipping, one payment, one box. And yes you are right, in fact most of our customers do ask for shoe care products. At this point, and in most cases, we refer them to AE's care products. We are very open about that because we know first hand that their care products are fairly good and reasonably priced. But again it would simply be easier for our customers to get everything bundled in the same order, same applies for the cedar shoe-trees. This is something we are working on, and it's what's next on schedule but this line of products is still under development, and of course we will do several lab tests and compare them against the products you mentioned.

Excellent point about bringing Jos A Bank shoe-trees to the conversation, they are cheap because they are Jos A Bank branded. That's the charm of the direct-to-consumer business model I mean they are selling that product straight to consumers without a middlemen. If their shoe trees were from any other brand it would be at a completely different price, because to make a profit they would need to add a markup after the wholesale price given by the other brand. That's why they can sell shoe trees at half the price, same reason why we can do so, our business model is based on that. Straight from us to the customer, no distributors, no retailers, no sales agencies. The shorter the retail value chain the lower the price can be (less people taking a slice of the pie). This NY times article can explain my point better http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/01/bu...anted=all&_r=0

Thanks!

Nicholas Hurtado.

Leave a comment:

• Morgan Liu
    replied
    Doesn't really bother me.

Any time Joe Shmo says something on the internet I take it with a grain of salt. This sort of marketing just falls under that wide umbrella.

It's not as if I got inaccurate or biased information from the CDC or something.

Leave a comment:

• LosRockets
    replied
    Originally posted by nicholas View Post
    We are still debating this internally. We may do that but not in-house, we will probably partner with a third-party for that service. But nothing is sure yet, we are at a very early stage on that front. What we have next on schedule is shoe care products (cedar shoe trees, conditioners, etc.) Thanks!
    ^ I really don't know if that's a smart decision. Most people buy their shoe trees absurdly cheap at Jos A Bank or Nordstrom Rack, and at the low end, Allen Edmonds sells their shoe care products in the sub-$10 range and they come pretty well-reviewed, and these products also often go on sale (and on the high end, well, your shoes aren't competing with C&J/Alfred Sargent/and above so I'm pretty sure your creams aren't competing w/ Saphir). Obviously I have no idea how your sales are doing and if your customers are asking for shoe care products, but if they're young men starting to care about how they look they are probably using sites like this and/or Reddit and will see sales for JAB/AE shoe care products advertised regularly. Maybe you can come out with a better set of care products at a price comparable to Allen Edmonds, but I don't know how successful you'll be in selling these because frankly the leathers y'all use are not the highest quality and so people will assume the conditioners aren't the greatest either. But again, you may be doing brisk business with a customer base you've developed and might have high margins on these products and in that case it could be a win for your company.

Leave a comment:

• nicholas
    replied
    Originally posted by drocpsu View Post
    Nicholas, with the Goodyear welted shoes, will your company be providing any options for shoe servicing (resoles, etc) as well?
    We are still debating this internally. We may do that but not in-house, we will probably partner with a third-party for that service. But nothing is sure yet, we are at a very early stage on that front. What we have next on schedule is shoe care products (cedar shoe trees, conditioners, etc.) Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• nicholas
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisRasco View Post
    Agreed. Sole and insole are 2 things I definitely check out before considering a shoe.
    Totally, we will include that soon. Thank you for the feedback!

Leave a comment:

• ChrisRasco
    replied
    Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
    Looking at your site, I do notice that there's no pics of the bottom of the shoes. I personally like seeing the sole when purchasing shoes so maybe that's something you can add in the future,
    Agreed. Sole and insole are 2 things I definitely check out before considering a shoe.

Leave a comment:

• Vicious49
    replied
    I'm totally in support of Vicious giving these shoes a test run. I'm not a fan of how BS shoes look in the least, but I'm also really sick of the back and forth on this brand. I know this won't settle things but he's got a wide range of shoes and so I trust his input.
    This is the first time I've visited their site and to be honest, there's not too much there That would appeal to me. The shapes on most of the shoes are eh. Looking at size 9, the only ones that I think look decent are the Bailey chukka boot in British Tan. I'm not sure if ill be given a choice to choose the shoe I want to test, but if I am, is that fine or would you guys like to see something else?

Excellent, I just responded your private message with my e-mail.
    I'll send out the email by tomorrow morning if that's ok. It's easier to type when I'm not on my iPad. Looking at your site, I do notice that there's no pics of the bottom of the shoes. I personally like seeing the sole when purchasing shoes so maybe that's something you can add in the future,

Leave a comment:

• drocpsu
    replied
    I'm totally in support of Vicious giving these shoes a test run. I'm not a fan of how BS shoes look in the least, but I'm also really sick of the back and forth on this brand. I know this won't settle things but he's got a wide range of shoes and so I trust his input.
    I agree with this. He has done good reviews of different shoes in the past as well. If you're looking for more than 1 person to do a review, I'd be interested as well. While I dont have the vast shoe experience that Vicious does, I have a pair of AE Strands that I could compare them with. While I'm not crazy about the look of all of your models, if they are nice quality, something like the black oxfords could be a decent, more affordable option to something like the Fifth Avenues for someone who's not looking to spend in the high $200/low $300s for a pair of shoes. I'm intrigued.

Nicholas, with the Goodyear welted shoes, will your company be providing any options for shoe servicing (resoles, etc) as well?

Leave a comment:

• nicholas
    replied
    Sure, why not. I am always trying out new shoes anyways. Plus I've been around long enough for everyone to know it's not a shill account. As long as you know that I will be honest about the shoes, be it good or bad. I do realize going in that at this price point, I expect them to be about on par with Banana Republic shoes. That is my baseline for BS shoes going in. I obviously can't expect them to compete with AE level and above. But they should be able to compete with BR shoes otherwise I'd suggest skipping them and waiting for a BR sale.
    Excellent, I just responded your private message with my e-mail.

Leave a comment:

• LosRockets
    replied
    Sure, why not. I am always trying out new shoes anyways. Plus I've been around long enough for everyone to know it's not a shill account. As long as you know that I will be honest about the shoes, be it good or bad. I do realize going in that at this price point, I expect them to be about on par with Banana Republic shoes. That is my baseline for BS shoes going in. I obviously can't expect them to compete with AE level and above. But they should be able to compete with BR shoes otherwise I'd suggest skipping them and waiting for a BR sale.

Leave a comment:

• Vicious49
    replied
    Just in case "AJG Esq" don't accept, is anybody else up for a test run? If so, please let me know in this thread. Thanks!

Nicholas.
    Sure, why not. I am always trying out new shoes anyways. Plus I've been around long enough for everyone to know it's not a shill account. As long as you know that I will be honest about the shoes, be it good or bad.

I know nothing about BS besides what I've read on the dappered main site and the forums here. At this price point, I expect them to be about on par with Banana Republic shoes. That is my baseline for BS shoes going in. I obviously can't expect them to compete with AE level and above. But they should be able to compete with BR shoes otherwise I'd suggest skipping them and waiting for a BR sale.
    Last edited by Vicious49; October 3, 2013, 10:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Welsh Wizard
    replied
    Nicholas, I would be interested in doing a "test run" and providing a review. Just let me know if you want to, thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Johdus
    replied
    Originally posted by AJG Esq View Post
    Hope I elaborated enough above. My statement may be "harmful and destructive" but it's only that way because of your actions.

My issue with you has nothing to do with referrals. Your posts were blatant attempts by your company to drum up business by pretending to be independent customers offering unbiased opinions.

Anyway, I understand that you've got to try to do damage control here and save face for your brand. That's fine; I think my evidence in the post above speaks for itself even with you deleting the authors to try and hide the truth. You can say whatever you want to act like you had nothing to do with the posts on reddit, but I'm convinced you were behind all that. I'll never buy from you and I will recommend against you to others whenever possible. It's all too easy to take advantage of the trusting posters who want legitimate unbiased advice on communities like Dappered and reddit. I'm taking a stand against companies like yours who are out to make a buck even if it means sacrificing your company's integrity and the integrity of the community in the process.
    Oh brother......

Thanks for looking out for us poor, simple-minded sheep.

Leave a comment:

• jackbauer24
    replied
    here's a review of their shoes:

http://putthison.com/post/6027506522...s-im-genuinely

Leave a comment:

Working...
X