Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on these Longwings?

http://www.beckettsimonon.com/collec...ed-tan-leather

Thinking about getting these, but have not had any experience with Beckett Simonon. As mentioned in the description, they seem like a workhorse shoe that can be used for both work and play. Are these good quality or would it make sense to upgrade to something like AEs? Anybody else have a recommendation on a similar type of shoe?

Thoughts?

They look good in the pics.

But I would gladly pay the extra $30 when the company is fully stocked, and some more daring peeps can tell me whether these shoes live up to the pics or otherwise.

Comment

I've heard some negative reviews of Beckett Simonon and some decent reviews. Putthis on did a review: http://putthison.com/post/6027506522...s-im-genuinely

I'm steering clear of them for a multitude of reasons, but the final straw is that they use sites like the dappered forum and reddit's MFA to shill their own products. SOmetimes it's upfront and productive, as the time nicholas came into a dappered thread on the company's goodyear welted line, but other times it's shadily creating new accounts just to spam their products.

Comment

Certainly a good looking shoe. For about the same price you could get a pair of the Ralph Lauren Sanderson seconds (made by AE) from the shoebank - they were part of the 2 for $250 deal recently and are currently $150.

Comment

Originally posted by AJG Esq View Post
          but other times it's shadily creating new accounts just to spam their products.
          When and where did this happen?
          "Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

FULL DISCLOSURE: I'M ONE OF THE CO-FOUNDERS OF BECKETT SIMONON

Originally posted by AJG Esq View Post
            SOmetimes it's upfront and productive, as the time nicholas came into a dappered thread on the company's goodyear welted line, but other times it's shadily creating new accounts just to spam their products.
            Can you please elaborate on this topic? Your statement is harmful and destructive, and I don't to want to distract the conversation here, but if you are going to publicly say something like that I will appreciate if show real evidence and demonstrate your accusations against us.

While we are on this topic. We do have a referral program called "Tell a friend get $15" http://beckettsimonon.referralcandy.com/ It's openly promoted in our website footer section. However, we (as any other brand, including AE's) have little or no control of whatever gimmicks or "tactics" our visitors do in order to get more and more referrals. That would be the case you "AJG Esq" mention. There's a plethora of places our visitors could search for referrals, and the point is we can't control them, actually nobody can't keep track of what or where and when this happens but if you show me the evidence I will personally contact each of the promoters and suspend them from our referral program. Also I can assure you I'll try my best to answer to every questions or accusation against us.

I can openly say that our promotion strategy is oriented to Blogs and Magazines rather than forums or individual threads. Mainly, because we believe these spaces are not intended to promote products but rather to provide answers. And that's exactly why I'm here. I will answer every question you guys post about Beckett Simonon. As a Co-Founder is not only my job to steer the wheel on where the brand is going but also to listen and respond to feedback or concerns, it's also something I personally enjoy.

Have a great day.

Nicholas H.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie View Post
              Certainly a good looking shoe. For about the same price you could get a pair of the Ralph Lauren Sanderson seconds (made by AE) from the shoebank - they were part of the 2 for $250 deal recently and are currently $150.
              This is a good point. Thanks. I will check in on those Ralph Lauren Sandersons. Those are definitely more dressy compared to the longtips mentioned above, but the $150 price point is nice for a guaranteed quality shoe.

Comment

Someone made a good point once that once you get down to a certain price range, resoling / reheeling / recrafting becomes similar in price to just buying a new shoe. Doesn't mean that the shoe itself isn't worth a buy, though.

Comment

It's a nice looking shoe. I like the color and the shape and the sole looks to be high quality. I wonder what the insole looks like?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisRasco View Post
                    It's a nice looking shoe. I like the color and the shape and the sole looks to be high quality. I wonder what the insole looks like?
                    I'm curious, too - one of the things a lot of people like about the brooks brothers AE seconds is their poron insole (softer / squishier than the normal AE leather insole). I actually prefer the harder style, but it's not a strong preference.

This seems like a question that Nicholas could shed extensive light on.

BTW - the Ralph Lauren sandersons are nice, good looking shoes. Some people on styleforum insist they're higher quality than normal AEs (like their independence collection). I couldn't tell them from normal AE calfskin, but I'm one of the many who had a lot of trouble getting them to fit.

Comment

Just took a picture with my phone, sorry but the angle is quite difficult https://www.dropbox.com/s/ddsnhms93a493gj/IMG_8831.JPG

The insole, rib, outsoles and welt are 100% leather. They also have a leather sock (the part were the logo is embossed) with a 3mm comfort padding. The leather insole is the backbone of any Goodyear Welted shoe, it’s also worth mentioning that the leather insole together with the cork filling will create a custom-like foot bed over time.

Hope this helps!

Nicholas H.

Comment

Originally posted by Sigtweed Corduroy View Post
                        When and where did this happen?
                        It happened on reddit's malefashionadvice and frugalmalefashion subreddits. I'll give you the quick rundown:

This thread was posted advertising a BS (Beckett Simonon) sale by Adamweston: http://www.reddit.com/r/frugalmalefa..._from_beckett/

At the time of posting, the OP only been on reddit for 4 days. He was defending BS in the thread, despite claiming he had no affiliation with them. Yet, looking at his limited post history, he'd also posted this comment recommending BS: http://www.reddit.com/r/frugalmalefa...viewed/cc4zgdr

On top of that, he only recommended two other brands: Asos, and Behasso. Never heard of behasso? Guess who owns it? That's right, the same guys who own BS. His comment is here: http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashiona...ersity/cc4ufp9

Now in that original thread I posted advertising the BS sale, the only other person to defend BS was user toposands. Shockingly, toposands had also started these threads about BS: http://www.reddit.com/r/frugalmalefa...hoes_reviewed/ (which I mentioned before that Adamweston contributed a positive review of BS to) and http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashiona...oodyearwelted/.

In the second thread I just posted, a redditor with very few posts chimes in to say that he just did a little research and, what do you know, it turns out BS offers a great warranty! Nicholas, the self-disclosed owned who has posted in this thread and in another dappered thread on BS also sang the warranty's praises. This new redditor has the name "nhrnhr" and posts here:http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashiona...welted/cc4fl3e

Nhrnhr...that's a strange name. Wonder where it comes from? Oh well it turns out that the owner of BS has a twitter. What are his initials? NHR: https://twitter.com/_nicholas_

Back to Toposands...at times acts like he's on the fence (to gain credibility), and at other times heartily recommends BS.

In this thread started by Toposands, he posts a link to BS trying to start a convo on favorite movie characters style. Very few people comment. But guess who does? Yep, Adamweston. See thread here:http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashiona...rs_whats_your/

I realize the authors of the threads I posted now say deleted. Rest assured that when I originally dug up this info, the authors I've since posted were listed. After I called them out in the original sale thread, they've tried to delete some ties. They're definitely trying to hide their affiliation on reddit. While nicholas has been upfront here, he has done the complete opposite over there. Anyway, what all he's done up there are shady practices to me and not qualities I want to support.

Comment

Just as a note moving forward in this thread: While Dappered Threads obviously encourages honest discussion of products and sellers, I don't think anyone here is too interested in seeing the Threads used as a battleground to rehash old conflicts from other forums. Please keep that in mind.
                          Ben

Comment

Originally posted by nicholas View Post
                            FULL DISCLOSURE: I'M ONE OF THE CO-FOUNDERS OF BECKETT SIMONON

Can you please elaborate on this topic? Your statement is harmful and destructive, and I don't to want to distract the conversation here, but if you are going to publicly say something like that I will appreciate if show real evidence and demonstrate your accusations against us.

While we are on this topic. We do have a referral program called "Tell a friend get $15" http://beckettsimonon.referralcandy.com/ It's openly promoted in our website footer section. However, we (as any other brand, including AE's) have little or no control of whatever gimmicks or "tactics" our visitors do in order to get more and more referrals. That would be the case you "AJG Esq" mention. There's a plethora of places our visitors could search for referrals, and the point is we can't control them, actually nobody can't keep track of what or where and when this happens but if you show me the evidence I will personally contact each of the promoters and suspend them from our referral program. Also I can assure you I'll try my best to answer to every questions or accusation against us.
                            Hope I elaborated enough above. My statement may be "harmful and destructive" but it's only that way because of your actions.

My issue with you has nothing to do with referrals. Your posts were blatant attempts by your company to drum up business by pretending to be independent customers offering unbiased opinions.

Anyway, I understand that you've got to try to do damage control here and save face for your brand. That's fine; I think my evidence in the post above speaks for itself even with you deleting the authors to try and hide the truth. You can say whatever you want to act like you had nothing to do with the posts on reddit, but I'm convinced you were behind all that. I'll never buy from you and I will recommend against you to others whenever possible. It's all too easy to take advantage of the trusting posters who want legitimate unbiased advice on communities like Dappered and reddit. I'm taking a stand against companies like yours who are out to make a buck even if it means sacrificing your company's integrity and the integrity of the community in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                              Just as a note moving forward in this thread: While Dappered Threads obviously encourages honest discussion of products and sellers, I don't think anyone here is too interested in seeing the Threads used as a battleground to rehash old conflicts from other forums. Please keep that in mind.
                              I didn't intend that post as a rehash or as combative; I apologize if it came off that way. Sigtweed asked where and when it happened so I tried to provide him proof as there was no one link that told the whole story. I don't think I made any unfounded accusations. As you mentioned, we're here to discuss a seller and I believe the evidence speaks to the integrity of the seller.

Comment

Working...
                              X