Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slacks and Trousers: What's your staple? Need to know!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slacks and Trousers: What's your staple? Need to know!

Slim fitting standalone slacks, or if you're feeling cheeky, trousers, are hard to find in my experience. Especially in 32/36 (sometimes 32/34).

So where do you guys find staple slacks? J. Crew? Banana? Brooks? MTM like Indo, etc? Online retailers like Suit Supply (who else fits this niche? This is what I am most interested in). Do you just buy suit separates? This is for office wear that doesn't usually involve a jacket.

Thanks in advance duders.

If you can get away with a 32/34, you should buy the lot I have listed and pay a tailor $20-30 total to let the hems out of each pair. You should net a 33.5-34" inseam that way, they fit slim, and cheaper than you'd buy elsewhere.

To answer your question though, I've had good experience with J Crew and ehaberdasher if you're willing to spend the extra bones. I haven't had any luck with any BB clothes fitting well (besides their AE shoes), and I've never worked with indo or suit supply. I'm not as high on BR as others on here either, but they do work well for some.

Comment

If you slim fit the Banana Republic and even Tommy Hilfger have been decent for me. Dockers also has a pretty decent affordable line. My problem is the low rise with all of these. I am searching for decent quality mid rise to replace them.

Comment

I like the BR Tailored Fit. I have the Navy Blue and Graham Cracker colors. They are non iron and work good in the office and after the office, you can get them for under 50 bucks. Getting J. Crew trousers today in the mail. Snagged them for 50 each during the sale...I think they were around 120 retail.

Comment

Originally posted by AFCForever View Post
          My problem is the low rise with all of these. I am searching for decent quality mid rise to replace them.
          Lands' End might solve that problem for you. I have some of their tailored chinos and the rise is noticeably higher, but not Jos. A. Bank high, on those than on my BR chinos. The tailored offerings from LE can be inconsistent, though. Chinos are more of a BR Gavin straight fit, slacks tend to be more slim.

Comment

Land's End lets you select a inseam length for their pants up to 36" so you should be good there. I have not tried pants from them but when I need a few new pairs of pants I will try them out.

Comment

I've got a bunch of BR's Tailored Fit wool pants. They end up being a near-perfect slim-straight fit on me - fairly tight on the thighs, and barely narrow past the knee (they could come in just a touch in the calf on me). If you play the sale game, you should be able to get them for around $50. Also, a lot of BR's pants are patterned, which I like. They're especially good at plaid.

For around the same price, you can get Lands End's Year Rounders. Quality is about the same as BR, IMO. The tailored fit is a bit more traditional that BR, with more room in the thigh and calf, and the rise is also higher. The plus is that you can get them at any inseam length as well as cuffed/uncuffed.

Another option would be J Crew Factory's Thompson suit pants. The major con, for me at least, is that they require significant slimming, which adds another $30 from the tailor.

Comment

Lands End and LEC also give you an "unfinished" option. Should only be $10ish to hem them to exactly where you want.
                "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

I personally really like the JCrew Bowery line. You can get them in regular or slim fits, and 32x34 is usually pretty available online. There are typically versions available in the sale section from previous seasons, or you can snag the current models in the periodic 25% off sales. I have found the material to be of good quality. I'm eagerly awaiting the temps to drop a bit so I can break out my tweed and heavy wool pairs!

Comment

Working...
                  X