No announcement yet.

Boots - Leather vs. rubber sole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Friday is right around the corner...

Comment

You seem to keep grouping the Red Wing Iron Rangers and the Wolverine 1000 miles together for the purposes of your decision.

Just for clarification (someone please weigh in here to correct me), Wolverine 1k have a leather sole, but the Red Wing Iron Rangers do not (they're flat and not a traditional rubber lug sole, but they are not leather - I think rubber or cork?). The Brooks Brothers one go a bit further, and have a Vibram lug sole (which is definitely rubber).

So the solution for you may be the Iron Rangers, since you seemed to like them but were turned off because you thought they had leather soles.

Comment

Can a cobbler resole a boot with cork? Does that even exist? I'm planning on wearing my 1000 mile leather soles out, but I like the idea of a more Alden-y sole in the distant future.

Comment

Originally posted by dapperedcpa View Post
          You seem to keep grouping the Red Wing Iron Rangers and the Wolverine 1000 miles together for the purposes of your decision.

Just for clarification (someone please weigh in here to correct me), Wolverine 1k have a leather sole, but the Red Wing Iron Rangers do not (they're flat and not a traditional rubber lug sole, but they are not leather - I think rubber or cork?). The Brooks Brothers one go a bit further, and have a Vibram lug sole (which is definitely rubber).

So the solution for you may be the Iron Rangers, since you seemed to like them but were turned off because you thought they had leather soles.
          yes the 1k boots have the leather sole, i put a 1/2 vibram soles on my 1k. The Red Wing IR does not have leather soles, they're cork, and cork does not play well with wet ground.

Comment

They are nitrile cork. Any real evidence of a problem in wet? I've never heard of anyone having an issue with a rubber / cork composite sole in the wet.

Comment

Working...
            X