Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tailoring clothes from the thrift store?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sal_orlando
    replied

I need to go thrifting more because I probably could find a lot of these brands around where I live.

This is a great thread, thanks for the info guys.

Leave a comment:

• jason_carreira
    replied

LOL Do you know how to test for mother of pearl buttons? They feel colder... the best way is to put them up to your lip and they'll feel cold. Just try not to let people see you

Leave a comment:

• jose_jackson
    replied

The weirdest part about the feel test is that I have never relied so much on that sense before. It's like the guy on the baseball team who sucks but is better than anyone else at bunting.

Leave a comment:

• ZachL
    replied

To be honest, you'll probably never find 95% of those listed unless you live in a big city with people who spend a lot of money on imported clothes, but I wish you the best of luck and sure hope you do.

Leave a comment:

• jason_carreira
    replied

LOL Just feel the items and you'll feel quality... Add an ebay app for you phone and look them up if you don't recognize the brand

Leave a comment:

• grasking
    replied

That list needs to go in my phone.

Leave a comment:

• ZachL
    replied

Jason, did you mean RRL when you said RLRL? If so, RRL stuff is great quality as well, and should definitely be picked up if it fits.

Lauren by Ralph Lauren (usually a green label) is extremely cheap stuff that was sued by Ralph Lauren for copyright infringement and somehow won the ability to keep selling using Ralph Lauren's name, even though they are not associated at all.

You can find some Made in Italy Polo Ralph Lauren stuff that is absolutely immaculate, I recently grabbed a 100% cashmere tie that is stunning.

I just grabbed this list from a thrifting guide, but generally if it fits well, is made of good materials, is without damage, and will often have Mother of Pearl buttons, you got yourself a real keeper.

The following is nearly every big name for suits and generally shirts you can possibly see and be extremely excited for if you stumble across:

Attolini

Barbera (Luciano) Collezioni Sartoriale

Battistoni

Belvest

Bijan

Luigi Borrelli

Brioni

D’Avenza

Thom Browne

Tom Ford

Castangia

Cheshire Clothing (Chester Barrie)

Cifonelli

Dior homme

Isaia

Kiton

Oxxford

Ralph Lauren Purple Label (both the Saint Andrews and the Chester Barrie)

Sartoria Attolini

St. Andrews

Sartoria Castangia

Sartoria Partenopea

Stuart’s Choice (Isiah until 06, St Andrews post 06)

Zegna Napoli

Alfred Dunhill London

Armani Collezioni

Armani Classico and Black Label (made by Vestimenta)

Boss Baldessarini (made by Caruso)

Boglioli

Brooks Brothers Black Fleece

Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece

Canali and Canali Exclusive

Canali Proposta

Cantarelli

Caruso

Corneliani Linea Sartoria

Corneliani

Corneliani Trend and CC

Ermenegildo Zegna Couture (& mainline to a lesser extent - Z Zegna is low-end line)

Faconnable Tailleur (made by Canali and Cantarelli)

Hickey Freeman

Lanvin (not necessarily true for vintage)

Martin Greenman

Paul Smith (Mainline, not Paul Smith London)

Polo Blue Label (made in Italy)

Ralph Lauren Polo Blue Label (currently made by Canali, older by Corneliani)

Nervesa

Paul Stuart

Ravazzolo

Samuelsohn - Canada

Vestimenta

Zileri sartoriale line

Zileri Gruppo Forall

Leave a comment:

• jason_carreira
    replied

Exactly. A few washings or dry cleanings and they're toast. Ironing or steaming does bad things to most artificial fibers.

Leave a comment:

• michael_sprague
    replied

Good to know about what to look out for when it comes to ralph lauren pieces. Why do i want to avoid shirts that contain polyster or are comprised of other materials at the thrift store do clothes that contain spandex or other blends not last as long?

Leave a comment:

• jose_jackson
    replied

I saw a plain blue RLPL crew neck t-shirt in TJ Maxx for like $60 several weeks ago. It had this ridiculous tag about luxury Chinese cotton made in Austrian mills or something like that. I lol'd.

Leave a comment:

• jason_carreira
    replied

Chaps is crap that's owned by Kohl's now. It used to be okay / good when owned by RL.

Lauren RL is just meh and I wouldn't bother at the thrifts.

Polo RL is pretty good and on the edge of being okay at the thrifts... depends on the shirt.

RLRL is good and worth getting, but not that common.

If you see anything RL with a purple label... Well... it's terrible, but you should pick it up and I'll give you a little something for it Seriously, RLPL is some of the best stuff out there in shirts, ties, suits, etc. The suits at least are mostly made in Italy by Caruso or Corneliani and are amazing (supposedly, still haven't found one myself). Not at ALL common and I've heard they've stopped making RLPL for ready-to-wear and it's all MTM or bespoke.

Leave a comment:

• MaxMan
    replied

To chime in on this awesome convo, I completely agree with where this thread is going. If you thrifting quality of brand comes first and then i look at the place made and the materials the garment is composed of, i stay away from anything artificial, ie polyester, then i worry about fit if the two above criterion were met since those will be my long lasting pieces. @losRockets, it depends on the age and the version of the ralph lauren, i read that back in the day when chaps was owned by RL they were of quality becasue they were made in the same factories in the US, then they shipped out the manufacturing. So now chaps is crap, and that brand Lauren is also crap as well IMO. But if you find Polo RL in Custom Fit, your good to go. If you see purple label and beleive the black label purchase it, you will love the piece.

Leave a comment:

• LosRockets
    replied

What do y'all think about thrifting (or buying from consignment stores) Ralph Lauren dress shirts? My local consignment store has a lot of BB and RL for 15-20(along with a bunch of smaller brands) in my size, all of the Kiton, Zegna, and other high-end shirts are all gigantic on me (and sell for $50-90).

Leave a comment:

• YackoYak
    replied

Good list. I haven't been able to find any of those brands while thrifting so if you need something for "now" (especially for $1), just look for 100% cotton shirts. IMO, don't get shirts with blends (poly, spandex, etc). If you feel the fabric between your fingers you will get a hang what is cheap just by feel. At that point you can just run your fingers down the rack and stop when something feels nice.

Leave a comment:

• jason_carreira
    replied

Brooks Brothers, Canali, Thomas Pink, Hickey Freeman, Charles Tyrwhitt, Ike Behar, Robert Talbott, Zegna, Marks & Spencer (some)... That's a good starter list

BB and HF are the most common around here.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X