Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tailoring clothes from the thrift store?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• michael_sprague
    replied

Cool i think ill just keep the alfani shirt how it is and use it for under sweaters. does anyone know specific brands i should look for at thrift stores and also ones i should avoid buying? I work at Banana Republic so my wardrobe needs to consist of a lot of layering pieces but i have to avoid large logos any ideas of brands or individual pieces i could pick out at thrift stores?

Leave a comment:

• YackoYak
    replied

Agree with everything that's been said here. Express shirts lose their stretch after awhile (I just donated some) and, IMO, are a PITA to iron - they always look wrinkled to me. The dry cleaners does a good job but they use much higher heat (kills the spandex).

I would keep the shirts you have and keep looking for other shirts to tailor.

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied

I've got to agree with JC and Bruschetta. It is definitely worth tailoring high quality thrift items, because you will get that value back in terms of longevity and durability. Alfani and Express are low- to mid-range on the quality scale - they are more trendy and inexpensive than timeless. That's not to say that you shouldn't pick them up if you see them for $1 at the thrift store. A shirt that fits too baggy to wear on its own can still look great under a fitted cardigan, sweater, or blazer.

Tailoring is great, but if you're on a tight budget, you should save it for the items that will be staples in your wardrobe for years to come.

Leave a comment:

• jason_carreira
    replied

Yeah, that too... I picked up 6 Brooks Brothers, 3 Hickey Freeman, and 2 Ike Behar shirts just yesterday at the thrifts. Look for better makers if you're gonna buy used.

Leave a comment:

• bruschetta
    replied

Michael, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that none of those shirts are worth tailoring. If you keep the alfani shirt, wear it under a slimm sweater. No one will know that it's not a slim-fitting shirt, and you'll have saved yourself ~$15.

The reason I say this is because Express shirts and Alfani shirts are not good quality. They're not likely to last more than a year with gentle care.

Leave a comment:

• jason_carreira
    replied

Depends on how much you like it and how much time you're willing to spend looking for another shirt in a thrift store that wouldn't need tailoring

Leave a comment:

• michael_sprague
    replied

Would the alfani shirt be worth tailoring?

Leave a comment:

• Joe G.
    replied

IMO it's worth it, without a doubt.

Would you rather pay $40 for a new EXPRESS shirt and another $15 to tailor it?

Or $1 for a gently used EXPRESS shirt in great condition, and another $15 to tailor it?

I know what my choice would be...

Leave a comment:

• michael_sprague
    started a topic Tailoring clothes from the thrift store?

Tailoring clothes from the thrift store?

Recently i went to local thrift stores looking for dressclothes i could wear to work i picked up several collared shirts 2 of which were express fitted shirts that were luckily my size the last shirt i found was an alfani in a very unique blue collar that i couldnt seem to take my eyes off, when i tried the shirt on i realized that it the fit of the alfani shirt was far too wide for my taste on the sides. I only paid 1 dollar for the shirt which appears extremely new and has no stains or other issues on it would it be worth the 15-20 dollars to have the shirt tailored to fit me better? Keep in mind i am a college student in a minimum wage job so 15 dollars is around 2 hours of pay for me

Working...
X