Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tailoring clothes from the thrift store?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tailoring clothes from the thrift store?

Recently i went to local thrift stores looking for dressclothes i could wear to work i picked up several collared shirts 2 of which were express fitted shirts that were luckily my size the last shirt i found was an alfani in a very unique blue collar that i couldnt seem to take my eyes off, when i tried the shirt on i realized that it the fit of the alfani shirt was far too wide for my taste on the sides. I only paid 1 dollar for the shirt which appears extremely new and has no stains or other issues on it would it be worth the 15-20 dollars to have the shirt tailored to fit me better? Keep in mind i am a college student in a minimum wage job so 15 dollars is around 2 hours of pay for me

IMO it's worth it, without a doubt.

Would you rather pay $40 for a new EXPRESS shirt and another $15 to tailor it?

Or $1 for a gently used EXPRESS shirt in great condition, and another $15 to tailor it?

I know what my choice would be...

Comment

Would the alfani shirt be worth tailoring?

Comment

Depends on how much you like it and how much time you're willing to spend looking for another shirt in a thrift store that wouldn't need tailoring

Comment

Michael, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that none of those shirts are worth tailoring. If you keep the alfani shirt, wear it under a slimm sweater. No one will know that it's not a slim-fitting shirt, and you'll have saved yourself ~$15.

The reason I say this is because Express shirts and Alfani shirts are not good quality. They're not likely to last more than a year with gentle care.

Comment

Yeah, that too... I picked up 6 Brooks Brothers, 3 Hickey Freeman, and 2 Ike Behar shirts just yesterday at the thrifts. Look for better makers if you're gonna buy used.

Comment

I've got to agree with JC and Bruschetta. It is definitely worth tailoring high quality thrift items, because you will get that value back in terms of longevity and durability. Alfani and Express are low- to mid-range on the quality scale - they are more trendy and inexpensive than timeless. That's not to say that you shouldn't pick them up if you see them for $1 at the thrift store. A shirt that fits too baggy to wear on its own can still look great under a fitted cardigan, sweater, or blazer.

Tailoring is great, but if you're on a tight budget, you should save it for the items that will be staples in your wardrobe for years to come.

Ben

Comment

Agree with everything that's been said here. Express shirts lose their stretch after awhile (I just donated some) and, IMO, are a PITA to iron - they always look wrinkled to me. The dry cleaners does a good job but they use much higher heat (kills the spandex).

I would keep the shirts you have and keep looking for other shirts to tailor.

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

Cool i think ill just keep the alfani shirt how it is and use it for under sweaters. does anyone know specific brands i should look for at thrift stores and also ones i should avoid buying? I work at Banana Republic so my wardrobe needs to consist of a lot of layering pieces but i have to avoid large logos any ideas of brands or individual pieces i could pick out at thrift stores?

Comment

Brooks Brothers, Canali, Thomas Pink, Hickey Freeman, Charles Tyrwhitt, Ike Behar, Robert Talbott, Zegna, Marks & Spencer (some)... That's a good starter list

BB and HF are the most common around here.

Comment

Good list. I haven't been able to find any of those brands while thrifting so if you need something for "now" (especially for $1), just look for 100% cotton shirts. IMO, don't get shirts with blends (poly, spandex, etc). If you feel the fabric between your fingers you will get a hang what is cheap just by feel. At that point you can just run your fingers down the rack and stop when something feels nice.

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

What do y'all think about thrifting (or buying from consignment stores) Ralph Lauren dress shirts? My local consignment store has a lot of BB and RL for 15-20(along with a bunch of smaller brands) in my size, all of the Kiton, Zegna, and other high-end shirts are all gigantic on me (and sell for $50-90).

Comment

To chime in on this awesome convo, I completely agree with where this thread is going. If you thrifting quality of brand comes first and then i look at the place made and the materials the garment is composed of, i stay away from anything artificial, ie polyester, then i worry about fit if the two above criterion were met since those will be my long lasting pieces. @losRockets, it depends on the age and the version of the ralph lauren, i read that back in the day when chaps was owned by RL they were of quality becasue they were made in the same factories in the US, then they shipped out the manufacturing. So now chaps is crap, and that brand Lauren is also crap as well IMO. But if you find Polo RL in Custom Fit, your good to go. If you see purple label and beleive the black label purchase it, you will love the piece.

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
                          I>0<I

Comment

Chaps is crap that's owned by Kohl's now. It used to be okay / good when owned by RL.

Lauren RL is just meh and I wouldn't bother at the thrifts.

Polo RL is pretty good and on the edge of being okay at the thrifts... depends on the shirt.

RLRL is good and worth getting, but not that common.

If you see anything RL with a purple label... Well... it's terrible, but you should pick it up and I'll give you a little something for it Seriously, RLPL is some of the best stuff out there in shirts, ties, suits, etc. The suits at least are mostly made in Italy by Caruso or Corneliani and are amazing (supposedly, still haven't found one myself). Not at ALL common and I've heard they've stopped making RLPL for ready-to-wear and it's all MTM or bespoke.

Comment

I saw a plain blue RLPL crew neck t-shirt in TJ Maxx for like $60 several weeks ago. It had this ridiculous tag about luxury Chinese cotton made in Austrian mills or something like that. I lol'd.

Comment

Working...
                              X