The end of the "JCP" brand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The end of the "JCP" brand

Looks like JCPenney may be phasing out the Dappered-favorite JCP brand.

I stopped by my local store today and what was the JCP shop is now a St. John's Bay shop. I found some JCP-brand merchandise (new and clearance) in a nondescript corner of the men's department. So…I'm guessing this is probably the last season of JCP merch.

There were some decent-looking new JCP merino wool sweaters. Not worth the $60 MSRP, but might be worth snagging on sale/clearance.

That would be a shame. I really like the JCP stuff from a fit/style point of view, whereas St. John's bay is pretty frumpy stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by mattface View Post
      That would be a shame. I really like the JCP stuff from a fit/style point of view, whereas St. John's bay is pretty frumpy stuff.
      They have to appeal to their old target audience again! actually, I too was in my local JCP on Friday and noticed an influx of St. John's Bay stuff in the 'JCP' section of the store. Very disappointing, to say the least. I guess I'll be going in a lot less, except maybe to pick up a Strafford dress shirt or something. Makes me wish I stocked up on chinos and chino shorts this summer.

Comment

They just moved the JCP branded things to a different location inside my local store. They even stocked a few new items as well.

Comment

Yup. I noticed this as well at my local store. Tons of crappy, massive fitting St. John's Bay stuff in the swanky section that used to house JCP stuff. The St. Johns stuff fits like crap. Really loved the fit and price point of the JCP shirts. If they discontinue it altogether, I'll have no reason left to visit the store. As they say.... the masses are asses. Or at least have big asses.

Comment

I used to rock the hell out of some SJB back in early grade school (i.e. my mom was a fan of their stuff).

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
              Yup. I noticed this as well at my local store. Tons of crappy, massive fitting St. John's Bay stuff in the swanky section that used to house JCP stuff. The St. Johns stuff fits like crap. Really loved the fit and price point of the JCP shirts. If they discontinue it altogether, I'll have no reason left to visit the store. As they say.... the masses are asses. Or at least have big asses.
              I noticed this display reverse as well at my local JCP. They still had a bunch of stuff but it didn't appear it was going to transition into Fall stuff. I think this is a big time shame.
              "Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Notably, the old logo is back in full force on the website. Remnants of "jcp" and "jcpenney" still remain here and there, but it's all done.

It was a really good run while it lasted.

JCPenney: The Pleated Pants are Back! (...and on eternal sale!)

Comment

I'll be the minority in saying that I was never a fan of the dappered acclaimed JCP line. I understand that the site is about affordable style, but I don't think the clothing warranted the ominous posts on the main page. It reminded me a lot of wood veneered flooring sourced from a secondhand shop. Sure it looks great from 20 feet away if that's what you're going for. I know a lot of you will disagree with me here, but if we all had the same opinion that wouldn't make much of community.

All this said, I've been toying with the idea of starting a thread expressing my opinion on the recent trend of poor quality posts on the main site. Ive been a daily reader for about two years now, and I find it somewhat disappointing. We've gone from 3 posts every morning, five days a week down to two staggered and generic posts per day (sometimes), and 4 days a week with a somewhat random collection of links in the "weekend dossier." Let me be clear -- this is my opinion, and only my opinion. It's not my site, and I think that we're lucky to have someone who makes some kind of effort to keep up with readers, but I simply want more or at least what we had (and I'm willing to contribute if need be). Joe may have a lot more on his plate than I give credit for, but rather than seeing random picks from friends and family sales (unless it's something truly spectacular) I for one would like to see more of the following:

1. Five Favorites (from a veteran poster - weekly basis)
                  2. Steal the Style (from a movie, magazine cover, whatever -- biweekly -- contributors welcome)
                  3. Recommend movie (weekly)
                  4. Book of the Week
                  5. Interior Design suggestions (Last year, Joe had an piece on an Etsy sourced 'Edison' Lamp - More things like that)
                  6. Less advice from Ask a Woman. The information provided is smug and often inaccurate and becoming omnipresent
                  7. Reviews of products by small proprietors OTHER than Form.Function.Form. Check out One Star Leather on Etsy to start

I realize a lot of this list comes off as somewhat negative, or perhaps as a form of back-seat driving, but I think it's important to discuss these things from time to time. There are tons of good posts added by Joe on a regular basis, and I imagine it becomes somewhat onerous at a point, coming up with new material daily -- not unlike Jay Leno's opening monologue on the Tonight Show. These things considered, I'd be happy to contribute in any way I can to continue to improve the site. I intentionally avoided the main forum with these comments as to prevent a full free-for-all on the subject.
                  Last edited by frost; October 3, 2013, 06:54 PM.

Comment

^I'm not sure this is the right venue, and I don't necessarily agree/disagree with everything above.

BUT, I do really miss the Steal the Style posts. There was a Daniel Craig one from a couple years ago that was one of my first forays into the world of Dappered.

Comment

Deke - If you would like to see more of certain features, you may want to contact Joe directly, especially if you have suggestions for particular styles you would like to see "stolen."

I think the reason this particular feature doesn't get a lot of installments is due to the relative lack of universal male style icons a la James Bond.
                      Ben

Comment

Working...
                      X