Boot questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boot questions

Hey guys. Just stumbled on the site and am becoming addicted to it. Have always been interested in this sort of stuff but have recently begun to really pay attention as I'm upgrading my wardrobe. Also wanted to say thanks as I have already made several purchases from tips here.

One was my first pair of nice boots - the LL Bean Hawthorne Dress Boot. And that brings me to my first question. Do people usually treat/protect their shoes or just polish when they become damaged?

And on the boot note any suggestions on black boots that don't come across as Doc Martens. I have seen several people like the Lands End Crosby Moc Toe which I like but just curious if there are others people have liked.

Again thanks

I treat my casual leather shoes with a waterproofing/conditioning cream as soon as I get them, and then as needed - usually once or twice per season, depending on how often I wear them. I do the same thing with my dress shoes, but use a cream-based polish instead.

Proper shoecare should PREVENT damage, not merely treat it.

Ben

Comment

Which products do you use @BenR?

For my old pair of boots I put on a coat of Obenauf's that treats and protects... It's cool stuff and smells kind of like honey because it's beeswax based.

For my other shoes I've been treating them with Lexol leather conditioner and polishing with Meltonian creme polish. About once a month I sit down and treat with lexol, let them dry, then polish them.

Comment

For casual leather stuff, I use Schnee's waterproofing cream. http://www.schnees.com/product/634/waterproofing-and-shoe-care

For polish, I also use Meltonian. Every once in a while I will give my dress shoes a good cleaning with saddle soap, let them dry out, and then polish them again. I think the saddle soap helps somewhat to keep the leather moisturized, in addition to cleaning it. Plus I love the smell of saddle soap. :-)

Ben

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Just ordered the Schnee's for my new boots.

Comment

Working...
          X