Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YackoYak
    replied

Agree with JC's recommendations, solid white or blue get worn the most. Purple check works with almost everything, or a solid pastel yellow or pink if you think you can pull it off.

Leave a comment:

• jason_carreira
    replied

Well, if you don't already have them then solids are good basics... solid white oxford, solid blue oxford... If you have those already maybe look at a check or tattersall pattern.

Leave a comment:

• sentry
    replied

I just had my parents pick me up the thompson suit from the J.Crew factory store (only $120!) so how about a shirt to go with that suit?

For reference: http://www.jcrew.com/search/searchNa...=1323101915763

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    replied

Those are good prices on that site! And about a million choices. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• jason_carreira
    replied

What do you need? A good interview shirt? Something to wear to class?

Leave a comment:

• sentry
    replied

Cottonworks sent me a $40 gift certificate from this promotion. Any suggestions on what I should order?

http://www.cottonwork.com/catalog/ca...n=51&limit=all

Leave a comment:

• john_pepper
    replied

Nah, just telling it like it is. No judgement either way. Don't shoot the messenger.

They aren't telling me how to do my job. I'll show them the same courtesy and stay out of the peanut gallery.

I didn't go to a school that would qualify for this, but there are plenty of businesses that offer perks to groups of which I am not a member. Such is life.

Leave a comment:

• Tat
    replied

John pepper is just mad trying to pick a useless bone...

I agree with BenR

Never heard of an upscale brand to only offer deals by segregating those by the tuition cost and prestige a school carries by being around over 100 years. Hope it flops lol.

Leave a comment:

• Thekillabeejc
    replied

Yeah, I guess my 45th ranked "State" alma matter isn't good enough! ha

Leave a comment:

• bruschetta
    replied

I agree with BenR. I work at a public (state) university.

Leave a comment:

• YackoYak
    replied

LOL well said.

Good luck to anyone else here that enters; I hope someone from here gets it.

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    replied

Word.

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied

Well. It's bizarre and counter-intuitive if, like me, you assume that companies who sponsor friendly-seeming promotions to help out "little guys" (aka, broke college students doing interviews) are doing it to generate brand loyalty, foster a positive brand image, and (heaven forbid), out of a genuine desire to do something good.

On the other hand, it makes perfect sense if they are trying to foster a brand image of exclusion and elitism based on a woefully shallow interpretation of what a person's alma mater says about their tastes, aspirations, and spending habits -- and they don't mind the risk of offending a large proportion of their potential future clientele based on the same.

So what I'm saying is, I see that they have a reason for what they're doing. But their reason is bizarre and counter-intuitive. I don't see why they should be any less eager to give free stuff to an aspiring professional from William & Mary, or Amherst, or Bowdoin, or even the University of Wyoming, than to students of the big-name universities they've listed. I doubt they would be any more or less likely to foster brand loyalty in a student simply because of the school he goes to. The only thing that this exclusion can accomplish for them is to lose forever the possibility of earning the loyalty of students who would like to enter the giveaway, but find that they can't simply because of the school they attend.

[Edit] Contrast this with the student discounts you can get at J.Crew simply by showing your student ID. They don't care if you're getting your MBA at Harvard or a 2-year degree at the local community college -- they are a smart enough business to realize that all loyal customers' money is created equally.

[Edit the second] Sorry to get so up in arms about this, but as a veteran of both an "elite" small private college and a large "public Ivy" university, the politics, semantics, and culture of classism/elitism that drive the American academy make me seriously want to punch some babies. Ideally some alumni legacy babies.

Leave a comment:

• john_pepper
    replied

Ok, just from your line:

"For some reason they only let students of Ivy League schools and other brand-name institutions enter. That's not only bizarre but counter-intuitive"

It didn't appear you knew why.

Leave a comment:

• jason_carreira
    replied

Since they re-do it every month, maybe the list changes every month? I dunno

Leave a comment:

Working...
X