Bonobos - Need plenary guidance on a purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bonobos - Need plenary guidance on a purchase

I basically have a lot of wardrobe to build.

I just picked up the moc toe boots from Lands End Canvas and those will be my only boots as of now (just moved to the Midwest from California, so in need of warm/winter things). I would have snapped up the Earthkeepers on Bonobos if they had them in my size.

I'm also thinking about the chinos with flanel lining in gray (khaki is run of the mill and I have no idea how to wear navy pants, but I do like the contrasting red flanel).

I haven't seen much in the way of worthwhile sweaters (I feel like I can get decent looking sweaters for cheap elsewhere), and the outerwear is either too expensive or kinda useless for a Midwest winter. I have a bunch of dress shirts I don't wear, but I'd be open to long sleeve shirts I can wear without tucking them in (kinda over-dressy for class).

Otherwise I'm not so sure. I want to keep the max purchase to $200 or below (preferably below) and I want to take advantage of the sale and everything for something I would otherwise not buy or get a deal on (grad student budget at the moment).

Help?

Per bonobos, give something that jumps out at you a try. Worst case scenario, you take advantage of their awesome return policy and try something different. I say try those gray flannel lined chinos. Welcome to the Midwest, btw. If you have a bunch of dress shirts you don't wear, pick up some Express merino v-necks to layer over them for the upcoming awful winter. They can be had for a really reasonable price (around $30) during a good sale. Where in the Midwest are you now residing?

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

If you're looking for wintry sweaters, my advice is find some merino wool ones elsewhere - I like BR, personally. Bonobos tends to be a bit pricey for tops and I've not heard great things for which I'd be willing to pay a premium for anyway.

And if you're looking for casual for-class buttons downs that don't need to be tucked in? Try thrift shops. I've had great luck finding dirt cheap shirts that fit really well.

Comment

Bull Denim. Size down. They dress up and dress down well, fit well, look good, and are comfortable.

Comment

Sal, is the fit on the bull denim the same as the chinos? Also, did you size down in waist and inseam?

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

I just picked up one of the bonobos flannels with their happy hour promotion last week. I'm wearing it today and it's pretty sweet. I think they're down to like $40 at "cyber monday" prices so with groupon+discount code that could be <$20 out of pocket, at which point they're a no-brainer in my book. Also have a look at the "sweatshirt tee" - good fit, comfortable and a bit more casual.

As far as the outerwear, most of it is overpriced and useless not just for the midwest but everywhere, however some of the heavier blazers (shackleton, lewis, clark) may be worth a look.

If "class" = college as I'm assuming, I'm going to second the sweater over (untucked) oxford suggestion.

Comment

@612WharfAvenue which flannels did yiou get? I'm looking at some of those too (when I can get to the site)

Comment

612WhaftAvenue - Which flanel specifically?

I'll look at Express/BR/etc for sweaters and pick-up a few colors.

And I'm in grad school and I'm closer to 30 than 20, for whatever that is worth. Not some college kid, but then again not business casual.

Comment

@greg I had to exchange the size 34 chinos i got for size 35 as they were slightly tight on me, but the bull denim are even slightly loose in size 34 after stretching out from a few wearings. The inseam I got was 32 same as usual and it was fine.

Comment

I got the Scrapple Jack (brown/green/blue)

Comment

@612WharfAvenue how is the fit on the flannel? Are you just wearing it like a regular button up shirt or more like a shirt jacket?

Comment

Like a regular shirt. I'm 6'1", 225ish and I got an XL. Arms at my side, the cuff's hitting the heel of my hand though I lose an inch or two with them out in front of me due to it pulling tight across my back. (long arms) It fits me well through the shoulders/chest, I could do with a bit less room around the waist but it's not all billowy like the godawful LEC oxford I got the other week, and for a flannel I don't expect it to be cut as tight as a regular button-down.

Comment

I'm sort of close to your size, 6'2" and 235ish and I usually go for L rather than XL as if I have to choose I'd rather have a bit tight than a loose, especially since I'm still losing weight (had to replace my whole wardrobe in the last 3 months). In the Bonobos sturdy oxford though I went for an XL and it fits pretty well.

In LEC I definitely go for an L though, maybe you should try an exchange.

Comment

I've got an L on the way actually in the LEC, if I like it I'll exchange the other - I'd chalked it up more to their cut not being to my liking rather than choosing the wrong size. With long sleeves I tend to worry about losing too much in the arms going down a size. I do wear a L in their knit shirts and really like the fit there.

If you're after a trimmer fit I highly recommend checking out one of the Gant Rugger "hugger" fit shirts in XL. Fits me about as perfectly as a shirt's ever likely to.

Comment

Oh I was wondering about the Gant shirts thanks for the rec I will check those out. With Express I wear an XL in their Fitted but a L in the Modern Fit.

Yeah sleeve lengths are a can of worms for tall guys with OTR shirts. I try not to worry about what happens when i'm doing things like putting my arms above my head, haha

Comment

Working...
                              X