Wardrobe Musings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
    I think that the hardest place for me to stop with the unnecessary spending is with shoes (as it is for many of us).
    Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
    That's my weakness too.
    Same here. I don't really feel the same way about other more disposable items in my closet (like shirts) as I do about shoes. A good pair of shoes can last a decade or more, so while the initial expense is quite high, the average cost per wear is quite low. I made plenty of shoe mistakes when I first sort of started rebuilding my wardrobe either through eBay or just pouncing on every Shoebank sale. Now I'm a lot more selective and am gradually sort of upgrading my closet and selling off shoes I'm not wearing. I've sold 8 pairs since May either on the forum or through eBay. I've got two incoming though ...

There's not very much I "need" so I'm pretty selective about other clothing purchases at this point. I wear out a few shirts a year, but lately I've either been lucky on eBay or I just wait for the H&K and Mr Porter sales. I wear gray flannels a lot in winter so I go through a pair of those about every year or two. Other than that I sort of look out for my favorite brands of ties and pocket squares, but my closet is pretty set right now. There's a local charity I've donated bags of stuff too, and a local consignment shop I've dumped some of the better things at. I've used forums, eBay and LuxeSwap (Spoo's consignment service) too.

I suppose everyone has seen PTO's "The Essential Man's Wardrobe" post: http://putthison.com/post/712103418/...rhaps-the-most
    Manton has a good thread on SF too: http://www.styleforum.net/t/309783/i...-dressed/0_100

I'm pretty set on all that stuff except a good tweed jacket, and I don't think I look very good in a DB jacket so I don't have that either.

Comment

I have a Pareto wardrobe thing going on... 20% of my entire wardrobe accounts for 80% usage.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
        I made plenty of shoe mistakes when I first sort of started rebuilding my wardrobe either through eBay or just pouncing on every Shoebank sale. Now I'm a lot more selective and am gradually sort of upgrading my closet and selling off shoes I'm not wearing.
        i would have been all over the upcoming 2 for 250 sale but after buying my first pair of carmina, the shapes of some of my AE bother me. the spanish last is so much nicer, and the fit and finish of it is miles better. they remind me of the lobb's i play with at barneys. now i'm afraid i'm going to have to buy full priced carminas going forward

Comment

Originally posted by fey View Post
          i would have been all over the upcoming 2 for 250 sale but after buying my first pair of carmina, the shapes of some of my AE bother me. the spanish last is so much nicer, and the fit and finish of it is miles better. they remind me of the lobb's i play with at barneys. now i'm afraid i'm going to have to buy full priced carminas going forward
          Your Carminas look great! (If anyone missed 'em: http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...l=1#post128873) My wife has a pair of Carmina boots that are really nice too, but I haven't tried the brand yet. For me it was after I got a few pairs of C&J that I started noticing things I didn't like about my AEs: 6 eyelet bals, stubby cap toe, boring lasts, etc. Plus I have wide-ish feet, usually an E in AE lace ups, D in loafers. The standard widths in C&J and AS are wider through the middle of the foot where my foot is wider, and then taper more than AE so not only are they more comfortable, but I think they are also more attractive. I still wear my remaining AEs all the time though and the brand is a great gateway drug into better footwear. I'm just not really looking to buy them anymore either.

Comment

same, the AE's are still good quality shoes, they just don't excite me anymore. i know others here have voiced similar thoughts of moving on from AE, they really are a gateway to a lifetime of pricey shoes!

Comment

Originally posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
              Same here. I don't really feel the same way about other more disposable items in my closet (like shirts) as I do about shoes. A good pair of shoes can last a decade or more, so while the initial expense is quite high, the average cost per wear is quite low. I made plenty of shoe mistakes when I first sort of started rebuilding my wardrobe either through eBay or just pouncing on every Shoebank sale. Now I'm a lot more selective and am gradually sort of upgrading my closet and selling off shoes I'm not wearing. I've sold 8 pairs since May either on the forum or through eBay. I've got two incoming though ...

There's not very much I "need" so I'm pretty selective about other clothing purchases at this point. I wear out a few shirts a year, but lately I've either been lucky on eBay or I just wait for the H&K and Mr Porter sales. I wear gray flannels a lot in winter so I go through a pair of those about every year or two. Other than that I sort of look out for my favorite brands of ties and pocket squares, but my closet is pretty set right now. There's a local charity I've donated bags of stuff too, and a local consignment shop I've dumped some of the better things at. I've used forums, eBay and LuxeSwap (Spoo's consignment service) too.

I suppose everyone has seen PTO's "The Essential Man's Wardrobe" post: http://putthison.com/post/712103418/...rhaps-the-most
              Manton has a good thread on SF too: http://www.styleforum.net/t/309783/i...-dressed/0_100

I'm pretty set on all that stuff except a good tweed jacket, and I don't think I look very good in a DB jacket so I don't have that either.
              I'm in the exact same boat. I've been unloading extras over the last few months and have 90% of the extras sold by now. After I get rid of the few extra pieces I have left to unload, my wardrobe will basically be the PTO Essentials with a few extras. The only piece I'm looking for right now is a navy cardigan.

Shoes and solid color t-shirts are the only thing I have more than what's considered minimal. The t-shirts are because my office is strictly casual attire, but I feel weird wearing t-shirts with logos, so having a small rotation (8ish) helps keep them in good shape. The dress shoes (6 total counting boots) don't get worn much, but I know they will last forever, so I'm ok with the investment.

As for AE's, I enjoy them, but I haven't made the plunge into higher end shoes yet. My job (both pay and environment) don't justify going for dress shoes more expensive than those sniped from a Shoebank 2 for $250. Then again, I'd LOVE to have a pair of blue suede loafers like yours Fred.

Comment

I sold off most of my AE's over the last few months. I now have 2 pairs remaining. The bourbon McAllisters are my favorite AE's so they would be the last to go, if ever.

I am a fan of the Alfred Sargent Premier line. I'm just not as big a fan of C&J as Fred. C&J shoes are usually sleeker and more elongated and work better with suits, etc. They are too dressy for my usual style so I like something that's not quite as sleek.

Comment

My rotation has the following:

- Burgundy/Merlot Brooks Mcallisters
                  - Black Park Aves (V Tread)
                  - Brown Brooks Fifth Avenues
                  - Gorilla USA Brown Suede chukkas
                  - JCP Camlin Boot (bad weather beaters)
                  - Kent Wang White Leather Sneaker (not a dress shoe, but much dressier than any other gym shoe I've seen/owned)

I have all of the bases covered without much excess.

I've debated about something in walnut, but think they're too flashy for me. I do like the RL Sanders boot, and will consider them if they're available in 13D during the 2 for $250, but don't know of anything else I want. Maybe I can convince a friend to split the 2 for $250 with me... hah.

Comment

I've adopted a strategy that might help you guys.

Rule one, limit yourself to a specific number of shirts, pants, jackets, suits, etc. Those numbers will change depending on your profession, lifestyle, etc. but once you decide upon a number for each area, keep to it. Here's a quick example:

Suits 2
                    Odd jackets (blazers/sport coats): 5
                    Odd trousers: 6
                    Chinos and jeans: 2
                    Dress shoes: 1
                    Work shoes: 4
                    Casual shoes: 2

Rule two, only buy an item if it works with the outfits that you currently have in your wardrobe. e.g. if you only own navy odd trousers, a navy blazer is of no use to you because you'll never wear it. Inversely, if you own multiple navy blazers then don't buy navy odd trousers. Your items should compliment each other.

In terms of the AE discussion, well, I think that that's a subject for another thread. I will say that I have also moved away from AE, but I have no complaints about the quality of their shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
                      Rule two, only buy an item if it works with the outfits that you currently have in your wardrobe. e.g. if you only own navy odd trousers, a navy blazer is of no use to you because you'll never wear it. Inversely, if you own multiple navy blazers then don't buy navy odd trousers. Your items should compliment each other.

In terms of the AE discussion, well, I think that that's a subject for another thread. I will say that I have also moved away from AE, but I have no complaints about the quality of their shoes.
                      I think this is pretty important. Some things I have are more peacocky than others, but the majority is pretty interchangeable so a lot of my closet works well with everything else. Guys don't buy "outfits."

The universe is conspiring to try to make me spend money though. Just got back to back emails from Paul Stuart and Leffot. Paul Stuart's is pretty spectacular:

Comment

I'm impressed everyone has a strategy for this kinda thing. Dunno if I can bring myself to throw or donate just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by PocketSquare View Post
                          Los Rockets, I can relate. I moved from the 4 seasons/year Pacific NW to the humid South for Residency. My blazers and sport coats haunt my every time I glance into my closet. They haven't pulled a single wear between them in 3 months. 6 days a week, I'm in business formal clothes or scrubs (Someone needs to come up with some slim scrubs because as far as I can tell, they look unflattering on every body type). The nature of the profession also dictates we keep things conservative so some of my more colorful outfits are out. Social outings are rare because everyone is so busy. Man, I can't wait for colder weather and layering up...at least then it'll be theoretically be possible to wear a blazer. Thankfully I'm heading to the midwest next July to finish out my training. I don't know how you southern gents do it.
                          Yeah, I'm thinking it'd be nice to land somewhere with 4 seasons for residency (Hellooooooooo Mayo). I tried on the DB jacket last night. It looks awesome. And I really want to keep it, but I grabbed a friend and told him to talk me out of it because really, it'll see use once a year here at most. I disagree about the scrubs though, perfectly happy with the way they fit (size down if possible!). I agree on both points you made about medicine, that the nature of the profession and the fact that social outings are rare because we're all so busy make it hard to wear some of the "nicer" things that we think of a well-dressed man wearing. Yeah, I can't wait til November when it finally starts to cool down and I can wear a sweater with my odd trousers, dress shirt, and tie. On a related note, since a lot of my rotations are in a major public hospital known for being sorta crazy, I don't want to wear my nicest clothes there... so the clothes I have spent money on and like a lot I don't even feel comfortable wearing to clinic some days. So I've got a few ties, shirts, and pants I thrifted on the cheap for those occasions. Sounds stupid and like a waste of money, right? But I think you can get why you dont' want to wear the "I saw a patient with C. diff today" tie out to dinner the next week.

On the topic of AE shoes - I wore my Fifth Aves for 4 hours yesterday, not sitting down at all, and my feet were killing me. I don't know if it's a size thing, 9.5E may fit slightly better than 10D idk, but I really need to start branching out. I too made the mistake of jumping on every single Shoebank sale. Note to people just getting into improving their style: do not do this. They happen all of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
                            On the topic of AE shoes - I wore my Fifth Aves for 4 hours yesterday, not sitting down at all, and my feet were killing me. I don't know if it's a size thing, 9.5E may fit slightly better than 10D idk, but I really need to start branching out. I too made the mistake of jumping on every single Shoebank sale. Note to people just getting into improving their style: do not do this. They happen all of the time.
                            LOL! Exactly what I did. A good friend of mine was actually featured in several AE catalogs as an "AE Man" and he sort of turned me on to them. Once he told me about the Shoebank I was just floored that they were such a bargain so I bought something pretty much every sale for a while. I ended up with a lot of shoes without much thought put into them. Some have been great like the AE suede Malverns and AE Bostons (the now defunct 0 last is probably their best fitting last for me) but a lot of things I ended up just selling and moving on. The good thing about AE is that they tend to hold quite a bit of their value so nothing ended up too expensive. I think every pair I sold I got between $75-165 so the mistakes weren't too expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake101 View Post
                              I'm impressed everyone has a strategy for this kinda thing. Dunno if I can bring myself to throw or donate just yet.
                              Eventually your closet will fill up. I buy stuff until my closet is full, then donate stuff, then buy stuff again. Working out OK so far. So give it time, you'll run out of room for new stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeAD91 View Post
                                Eventually your closet will fill up. I buy stuff until my closet is full, then donate stuff, then buy stuff again. Working out OK so far. So give it time, you'll run out of room for new stuff.
                                I by far and away have NO room for new stuff. Spilling over everywhere, but the issue is it ALL fits.

Comment

Working...
                                X