Finding the right shoe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding the right shoe

Hello everybody, I'm a frequent reader and now a brand new poster. That being said, I have a few questions for the community here on the dappered threads.

I'm currently in the application process for admittance into medical school and am reaching the interview phase. I recently purchased the Tailored Fit Italian Wool Charcoal Check Suit from BR (http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...d=1&pid=851068) with the matching pants. I have the suit, but now I'm not sure what to do for shoes. I know I want to go with a standard black, but being that I am on a budget, I was hoping to get advice from you guys about where I can snag a good-looking shoe, that won't break the bank.

Whats your budget?

If you want a conservative black shoe for your suit the gold standard seems to be the allen edmonds park ave. They are pricey at 300 dollars, but with all the cyber monday deals out there today like the 30% off at amazon you can score them for ~200+ I could think

Comment

That was my initial thought as well, but at roughly 200, I still can't afford it. After the primary and secondary application costs, the process has left my wallet hurting. Anything from 60-120 is what I can absorb at this point. It's a limited amount, that is sure to not snag any Allen Edmonds, but maybe a Cole Haan? I'm mainly trying to decide on what style I should go with, and then hunt down a respectable shoe within my price range.

Comment

Go check things out at DSW. They have some decent shoes and they have a cyber monday sale on.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. Being that you guys have a lot more experience than me, what would you recommend as far as style of shoe goes? I'm just not sure what would be the most appropriate. Would an oxford wingtip be too much? It would be nice to have some guided direction on this front. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comment

@Eddie, your best look for med school interview,"classic black cap toe Balmorals". With that said and with your budget + the 30% off at Amazon, these JM's are a good look IMO, I would rank them a step below the Park Aves. Leather looks good and its on a goodyear welt so the shoe will fit better and soles can be resoled after some extensive wear. My recommendation, get another pair of shoes if you will rock them daily, if not 1 pair will suffice. SHOE TREES, shoe shine (theres a nice thread somewhere in here that will give you some recs).

http://www.amazon.com/Johnston-Murph...494410&sr=1-10

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
            I>0<I

Comment

Spot on. Thank you for the recommendation. I am highly considering this option. These threads are lifesavers. Thanks again.

Comment

Suit looks awesome btw. Plaid is very subtle in the pics. How's the fit?

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
                I>0<I

Comment

Honestly, the suit is on the border of being too busy for medical school interviews. I am just about done with mine and I wore the plain gray Alfani Red slim fit, and there weren't too many gray suits (mostly black) on the interview trail. Pinstripes/plaid looked really out of place in such a conservative environment, especially on interviewees. I like the suit, but just keep in mind that you're probably going to get a good bit of wear out of it in medical school and you're going to be interacting with men and women from a much older generation.

I second the rec for Park Avenues, but if you cannot afford them now, just wear whatever black shoes you have, IMO. I have a 5 year old pair of black rubber soled Dockers that I just shine up and wear for each interview, along with a shirt I bought from Marshall's. I still look like one of the most put-together there without looking like I care more about my appearance than patient care. Those Park Avenues are really worth it in terms of comfort and I know I could buy something like a pair of J&M right now but it's worth saving up, IMO, for Park Avenues because they'll last forever. PS. You want cheap black shoes for 3rd year anyway.

Comment

Max: The fit is great. Nice and trim with nice reaction through the shoulders while moving and whatnot. I had to get the pants a little long, but I have a friend who will tailor them for me so that's really nice.

LosRockets: That was one of my fears, but in all honestly, the plaid is very, very minimal, and comes off more or less charcoal. I agree on the shoe bit as well. I'm not looking for a homerun, just something that will get the job done without saying I only care about my look and not the real reason I'm there. The interview, from what I can perceive is a tricky situation, but I'm going to stick to my guns, look well put together, and try to win them over.

Comment

It should be fine then. I just remember these two guys from my first interview, one had a really nice, fitted, but strongly plaid suit (looked expensive) and another hand a leather messenger bag. Both stood out in the wrong way. Grab a leather portfolio to keep stuff in (though you'll probably get at least a folder from the school) and stay organized. Your first interview will be a bit tough but afterward they're all pretty much the same. Just try to be natural and don't lie. Honestly if you can't afford the shoes right now and have an old pair of black ones, just take some polish to them, it's going to be expensive just flying around for interviews (and also paying for meals/travel once you get there!). Good luck and congrats!

Comment

Yeah, that is exactly what I am trying to avoid. I am going to look at the local thrift stores and maybe I'll get lucky. Thanks for the advice and hopefully I get lucky and snag a spot somewhere.

Comment

I would not get that J&M Melton shoe - the leather looks VERY plastic-y and shiny in person.

Their next models up are fine, but obviously more expensive.

Comment

Alright, thanks for the heads up zero. Like I mentioned before, I'm going to try the thrift game first and then go from there.

Comment

Florsheim Veblens, LINK20 still works (although I got 2 pairs last week from Amazon for $107.00 each). subtle, nice quality, goodyear welt, much buzz on the blogs a while ago. good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X