X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fred G. Unn
    replied
    VASS!!!!

So I guess that takes care of the suede bal category.

Leave a comment:

• sabrown
    replied
    Fred, you going to pick up a pair of those Vass Austerity Brogues during the current NMWA founders sale? There's a really nice pair of Vass medium brown suede balmorals too!

Really wish I had $450 saved up so I could pick up a pair of Alfred Sargents. I've built a nice collection of AEs over the past year, but like you have said... They are a gateway drug to even nice footwear. Itching to try another premium brand now... The AS snuff suede Cambridge boots look particularly sweet to me!

Used up my clothing budget for a little while though with my Barbour Bedale purchase this month. Think I'm going to start saving...

Leave a comment:

• NYCToon
    replied
    We should change the title of this thread to "Fred & Vicious: Shoe Talk" I'd watch that show on late night tv.

Leave a comment:

• Fred G. Unn
    replied
    Originally posted by LCDR View Post
    Fred, great collection! You have all your bases covered, and then some. I really like the patent leather shoes and the rest of the formal shoes. Formal needs are all locked up.

I would agree with maybe trying out some more cordovan. (I tried it once, but the rolls come out asymmetric, probably due to poor fit. Sold it on ebay.)

Maybe consider a black chelsea boot. I hear it can go well with a suit.

I would replace the C&J in row 12 with a plain-toe suede boot in light tan, similar to the AE, just for consistency and a cleaner look.

With this level of quality, I would be interested in seeing what kind of hiking boots and sandals you have...
    Thanks! I actually sort of have a black Tetbury on my wish list, but James Bond made them too damn expensive and hard to find in stock. Nothing fancy for sandals, just Keens and flip flops. I have some nice Asolo hiking boots, but I actually only use them for hiking, not for style like some people wear Danners, etc. I also have some Bean Boots, some old (12+ years) Orvis fly fishing boots, Inov-8 gym shoes, and some beater shoes for painting, lawn work, etc. too.

Leave a comment:

• Fred G. Unn
    replied
    Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
    Fred - I just got a new founders circle promo email from NMWA which has me wanting those Heschung shoes again. Their resale obviously won't be as good as better known brands but that seems like a great price for them. Now that you've owned them a while and worn them a few times, would you do it again? You said that they don't look clunky in real life like some of the pics make them out to be? They do give off the semi-casual look I am going for? That's why I had to take the Alden Dovers back because they looked more formal than I wanted. Regarding sizing, I think you said to go down a half so in my case I would go with my Barrie size of 8.5 since that's half lower than my usual 9.
    I'd say at least a half size. NMWA says TTS, but no one else does. The 10 was huge on me so I exchanged it for a 9.5. It's still pretty long, but it's fairly tight in the arch and heel. I'm not sure I could have gone down to a 9 and still had it be comfortable in the middle of my foot, but then again that's where my foot is kind of wide. I probably could have gone down to a 9 in the length though.

Leave a comment:

• LCDR
    replied
    Fred, great collection! You have all your bases covered, and then some. I really like the patent leather shoes and the rest of the formal shoes. Formal needs are all locked up.

I would agree with maybe trying out some more cordovan. (I tried it once, but the rolls come out asymmetric, probably due to poor fit. Sold it on ebay.)

Maybe consider a black chelsea boot. I hear it can go well with a suit.

I would replace the C&J in row 12 with a plain-toe suede boot in light tan, similar to the AE, just for consistency and a cleaner look.

With this level of quality, I would be interested in seeing what kind of hiking boots and sandals you have...

Leave a comment:

• Vicious49
    replied
    Fred - I just got a new founders circle promo email from NMWA which has me wanting those Heschung shoes again. Their resale obviously won't be as good as better known brands but that seems like a great price for them. Now that you've owned them a while and worn them a few times, would you do it again? You said that they don't look clunky in real life like some of the pics make them out to be? They do give off the semi-casual look I am going for? That's why I had to take the Alden Dovers back because they looked more formal than I wanted. Regarding sizing, I think you said to go down a half so in my case I would go with my Barrie size of 8.5 since that's half lower than my usual 9.

Leave a comment:

• marathon
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
    This one? I'd say you need more bluchers instead of balmorals, especially if you're not in a suit everyday. I generally won't wear balmorals with jeans or cotton trousers. Regardless of what the rules are, I don't think the formality of the closed lacing works well with the casualness of cotton trousers. I'll wear them with wool trousers, and odd jacket and tie though even though this is against the "rules." I think the formality of the wool trousers and tie make it formal enough for bals for me even though historically this was a fairly casual outfit. Others will certainly disagree with this but this is how I'll wear 'em.
    Thanks, yes. I'll go comment over there -- don't want to derail this thread.

Leave a comment:

• Fred G. Unn
    replied
    Originally posted by marathon View Post
    You shoe geeks should go check out my AE thread -- I got 5 pairs and 3 are going back for replacements based on fit issues, 1 on quality, maybe 1 optional for a style preference. I jumped the gun I guess. Would love your feedback guys!
    This one? I'd say you need more bluchers instead of balmorals, especially if you're not in a suit everyday. I generally won't wear balmorals with jeans or cotton trousers. Regardless of what the rules are, I don't think the formality of the closed lacing works well with the casualness of cotton trousers. I'll wear them with wool trousers, and odd jacket and tie though even though this is against the "rules." I think the formality of the wool trousers and tie make it formal enough for bals for me even though historically this was a fairly casual outfit. Others will certainly disagree with this but this is how I'll wear 'em.

Leave a comment:

• marathon
    replied
    You shoe geeks should go check out my AE thread -- I got 5 pairs and 3 are going back for replacements based on fit issues, 1 on quality, maybe 1 optional for a style preference. I jumped the gun I guess. Would love your feedback guys!

Leave a comment:

• Vicious49
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred G. Unn
    Yep, I got my first pair of AEs about 3 years ago. At one point I think I was up to 11 pairs of AEs, now I'm down to 5. It's not like I'm in any danger of going barefoot, so I'm no longer pouncing on every 2 for $200 (now $250) sale and am trying to plan long term (like LosRockets' thread). Purchasing less, but better and smarter.
    Same here. I don't even look at the shoe bank sales anymore. I actually just paid full price for one of the few times I can remember for a pair of shoes when I bought those shell captoe Aldens last week. I figure I might as well get what I want rather than getting what's available on sale since in the end it probably all evens out anyways with the buying and reselling.

Leave a comment:

• Jamie
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred G. Unn
    What's missing? What should I buy next? Wants include a dark brown suede balmoral, an austerity brogue, some more cordovan maybe something like the Alden Dover fey recently ordered, anything else? I didn't bother taking pics of hiking boots, gym shoes, fishing boots, snow boots, etc. but I have all those too. What would you buy next?
    Fred, I think we wear a similar size, so could you please put me in your will in the event of your unfortunate early demise? Let me know when the will has been executed...
    Last edited by Jamie; February 4, 2014, 10:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Vicious49
    replied
    Fey - unfortunately that warehouse is in the southwest corner of VA so it's about a 3-4 hour drive for me. I do have a friend who is also interested in going so maybe well make a road trip one day.

Leave a comment:

• fey
    replied
    vicious, have you ever stopped by the jcrew warehouse that is around (i think) va or nc? those jcrew x aldens that pop up on ebay are definitely from that warehouse, and judging by the ebay starting prices i'd have to believe they were sold for at least half msrp. just a friendly psa

Leave a comment:

• Vicious49
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
    Trying to avoid any more shoe mistakes and only buying things I know fit well, fill a hole in my shoe wardrobe, and are things I know I will actually wear. Looking back at my post from August, I've now sold 9 of those shoes. Combined with other sales from the past year or so I've probably sold off at least 15 pairs. That's a LOT of mistakes.
    Same here. I guess we have to go through that trial and error phase otherwise there's no other way of knowing for sure. Shipping 3 pairs of shoes out today and receiving a pair of Alden unlined penny loafers today (still having to go through trial and error to find a pair of loafers that will fit me properly). I decided to hang on to the Armfield and leaning towards holding on to the Ron Rider chukkas as well. I'll try to get some pics up later today if I can since I'm at home sick with a cold.

If you are looking at Shell, after having seen the Alden chukkas in person last week - the shell ones look bulkier. Someone also commented that the shell is a bit roomier so keep that in mind. The same chukkas in shell and and leather looked sleeker in the leather.

Of the shoes you're considering above, I like the 2 suede ones but not digging the looks on that brown austerity at all. I can't get over the fact that it has no holes despite looking like wingtips.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X