• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• movoblast
    replied
    Originally posted by fey View Post
    closer up:

Nice shoes fey! I must say that my favorite are the Alden 975s. I never liked the sleeker/european looking shoes on myself because I'm only 5'10'' with thicker thighs, so narrower shoes look too dainty/small relative to my thigh size. I get jealous of the lean and longer legged fellows who are able to sport them. They are beautiful shoes and I bet you can sport them well though! I would love to see them in the WIWT section one day.

Leave a comment:

• lifeinabox
    replied
    Originally posted by fey View Post
    I got these in Madrid from their gran via store. They had lots of shoes on sale for like 200eur which would be a steal, but I limited myself to carrying back one pair
    That's quite some self control. I visited the store on Serrano.

Leave a comment:

• fey
    replied
    Originally posted by LCDR View Post
    I like the shapes of the Alden and AS. The other two are on the verge of going into angular/pointy territory, but then again I am not accustomed to European shoes. They also have a very formal look. I would be afraid of having too few occasions to wear them.

Anyway, they are all great shoes! Thanks for the pics.

(Let us see your boots next )
    I'll group shot my boots when the vibergs arrive very excited about those

Leave a comment:

• LCDR
    replied
    I like the shapes of the Alden and AS. The other two are on the verge of going into angular/pointy territory, but then again I am not accustomed to European shoes. They also have a very formal look. I would be afraid of having too few occasions to wear them.

Anyway, they are all great shoes! Thanks for the pics.

(Let us see your boots next )

Leave a comment:

• fey
    replied
    Originally posted by lifeinabox View Post
    Impressive collection. I visited the Carmina store in Madrid last fall. I was just getting into quality shoes and had only a slight notion that I was in presence of shoe greatness. Looking back I missed a great opportunity but just an excuse to go back.
    I got these in Madrid from their gran via store. They had lots of shoes on sale for like 200eur which would be a steal, but I limited myself to carrying back one pair

Originally posted by 90Shilling View Post
    Very nice. My next two pairs will be Carmina (split toe derby and string tie loafer). I own Alden and C&J (including those same pair of calf Tetburys), and I agree with your assessment. Have not tried Alfred Sargent yet. Are your AS a black wholecut? And is the Carmina pair a punch cap balmoral in dark brown? Can't tell the colors definitively from the photos.
    The AS is a special make up, black plain toe balmoral. The carmina is the punch cap toe bal, a dark brown 80105.

I enjoy trying multiple shoemakers, as opposed to raiding the AE Shoebank over and over again. It's an expensive habit tho!

Leave a comment:

• 90Shilling
    replied
    Very nice. My next two pairs will be Carmina (split toe derby and string tie loafer). I own Alden and C&J (including those same pair of calf Tetburys), and I agree with your assessment. Have not tried Alfred Sargent yet. Are your AS a black wholecut? And is the Carmina pair a punch cap balmoral in dark brown? Can't tell the colors definitively from the photos.

Leave a comment:

• lifeinabox
    replied
    Impressive collection. I visited the Carmina store in Madrid last fall. I was just getting into quality shoes and had only a slight notion that I was in presence of shoe greatness. Looking back I missed a great opportunity but just an excuse to go back.

Leave a comment:

• fey
    replied
    closer up:

Leave a comment:

• fey
    replied
    here's a group shot of an assortment of mid-to-higher end shoe makers.

top to bottom: alden, carmina, alfred sargent, crockett & jones

my random thoughts... in terms of quality and finishing, carmina and alfred sergeant are at the top and about the same. the c&j is part of their main collection (not hand grade) and is a bit behind those two. its leather also does not seem as nice. alden is lacking in qc/finishing. i like the carmina last the most (simpson), alfred sargent's 99 last is also very nice. barrie last is clearly the odd duck in these photos

Leave a comment:

• Vicious49
    replied
    It's hard for me to make deals like that with my wife because she doesn't like spending money at all, not even on herself.

Leave a comment:

• fey
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
    Thanks! I told my wife she was giving them to me for Valentine's Day. She said fine, but she wants a new iPad. Fair enough.
    LOL i'm pretty sure i've had similar trades with my gf

Leave a comment:

• Fred G. Unn
    replied
    Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
    Fred - Your inbox is full.
    Just deleted a bunch.

Leave a comment:

• Fred G. Unn
    replied
    Originally posted by sabrown View Post
    Gorgeous shoes! Congrats!!
    Thanks! I told my wife she was giving them to me for Valentine's Day. She said fine, but she wants a new iPad. Fair enough.

Leave a comment:

• Vicious49
    replied
    Fred - Your inbox is full.

Leave a comment:

• sabrown
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
    VASS!!!!

So I guess that takes care of the suede bal category.
    Gorgeous shoes! Congrats!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X