No announcement yet.

Current state of the shoe collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You shoe geeks should go check out my AE thread -- I got 5 pairs and 3 are going back for replacements based on fit issues, 1 on quality, maybe 1 optional for a style preference. I jumped the gun I guess. Would love your feedback guys!

Comment

Originally posted by marathon View Post
      You shoe geeks should go check out my AE thread -- I got 5 pairs and 3 are going back for replacements based on fit issues, 1 on quality, maybe 1 optional for a style preference. I jumped the gun I guess. Would love your feedback guys!
      This one? I'd say you need more bluchers instead of balmorals, especially if you're not in a suit everyday. I generally won't wear balmorals with jeans or cotton trousers. Regardless of what the rules are, I don't think the formality of the closed lacing works well with the casualness of cotton trousers. I'll wear them with wool trousers, and odd jacket and tie though even though this is against the "rules." I think the formality of the wool trousers and tie make it formal enough for bals for me even though historically this was a fairly casual outfit. Others will certainly disagree with this but this is how I'll wear 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
        This one? I'd say you need more bluchers instead of balmorals, especially if you're not in a suit everyday. I generally won't wear balmorals with jeans or cotton trousers. Regardless of what the rules are, I don't think the formality of the closed lacing works well with the casualness of cotton trousers. I'll wear them with wool trousers, and odd jacket and tie though even though this is against the "rules." I think the formality of the wool trousers and tie make it formal enough for bals for me even though historically this was a fairly casual outfit. Others will certainly disagree with this but this is how I'll wear 'em.
        Thanks, yes. I'll go comment over there -- don't want to derail this thread.

Comment

Fred - I just got a new founders circle promo email from NMWA which has me wanting those Heschung shoes again. Their resale obviously won't be as good as better known brands but that seems like a great price for them. Now that you've owned them a while and worn them a few times, would you do it again? You said that they don't look clunky in real life like some of the pics make them out to be? They do give off the semi-casual look I am going for? That's why I had to take the Alden Dovers back because they looked more formal than I wanted. Regarding sizing, I think you said to go down a half so in my case I would go with my Barrie size of 8.5 since that's half lower than my usual 9.

Comment

Fred, great collection! You have all your bases covered, and then some. I really like the patent leather shoes and the rest of the formal shoes. Formal needs are all locked up.

I would agree with maybe trying out some more cordovan. (I tried it once, but the rolls come out asymmetric, probably due to poor fit. Sold it on ebay.)

Maybe consider a black chelsea boot. I hear it can go well with a suit.

I would replace the C&J in row 12 with a plain-toe suede boot in light tan, similar to the AE, just for consistency and a cleaner look.

With this level of quality, I would be interested in seeing what kind of hiking boots and sandals you have...

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
              Fred - I just got a new founders circle promo email from NMWA which has me wanting those Heschung shoes again. Their resale obviously won't be as good as better known brands but that seems like a great price for them. Now that you've owned them a while and worn them a few times, would you do it again? You said that they don't look clunky in real life like some of the pics make them out to be? They do give off the semi-casual look I am going for? That's why I had to take the Alden Dovers back because they looked more formal than I wanted. Regarding sizing, I think you said to go down a half so in my case I would go with my Barrie size of 8.5 since that's half lower than my usual 9.
              I'd say at least a half size. NMWA says TTS, but no one else does. The 10 was huge on me so I exchanged it for a 9.5. It's still pretty long, but it's fairly tight in the arch and heel. I'm not sure I could have gone down to a 9 and still had it be comfortable in the middle of my foot, but then again that's where my foot is kind of wide. I probably could have gone down to a 9 in the length though.

Comment

Originally posted by LCDR View Post
                Fred, great collection! You have all your bases covered, and then some. I really like the patent leather shoes and the rest of the formal shoes. Formal needs are all locked up.

I would agree with maybe trying out some more cordovan. (I tried it once, but the rolls come out asymmetric, probably due to poor fit. Sold it on ebay.)

Maybe consider a black chelsea boot. I hear it can go well with a suit.

I would replace the C&J in row 12 with a plain-toe suede boot in light tan, similar to the AE, just for consistency and a cleaner look.

With this level of quality, I would be interested in seeing what kind of hiking boots and sandals you have...
                Thanks! I actually sort of have a black Tetbury on my wish list, but James Bond made them too damn expensive and hard to find in stock. Nothing fancy for sandals, just Keens and flip flops. I have some nice Asolo hiking boots, but I actually only use them for hiking, not for style like some people wear Danners, etc. I also have some Bean Boots, some old (12+ years) Orvis fly fishing boots, Inov-8 gym shoes, and some beater shoes for painting, lawn work, etc. too.

Comment

We should change the title of this thread to "Fred & Vicious: Shoe Talk" I'd watch that show on late night tv.

Comment

Fred, you going to pick up a pair of those Vass Austerity Brogues during the current NMWA founders sale? There's a really nice pair of Vass medium brown suede balmorals too!

Really wish I had $450 saved up so I could pick up a pair of Alfred Sargents. I've built a nice collection of AEs over the past year, but like you have said... They are a gateway drug to even nice footwear. Itching to try another premium brand now... The AS snuff suede Cambridge boots look particularly sweet to me!

Used up my clothing budget for a little while though with my Barbour Bedale purchase this month. Think I'm going to start saving...

Comment

VASS!!!!

So I guess that takes care of the suede bal category.

Comment

VASS!!!!

So I guess that takes care of the suede bal category.
                        Gorgeous shoes! Congrats!!

Comment

Fred - Your inbox is full.

Comment

Originally posted by sabrown View Post
                            Gorgeous shoes! Congrats!!
                            Thanks! I told my wife she was giving them to me for Valentine's Day. She said fine, but she wants a new iPad. Fair enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                              Fred - Your inbox is full.
                              Just deleted a bunch.

Comment

Thanks! I told my wife she was giving them to me for Valentine's Day. She said fine, but she wants a new iPad. Fair enough.
                                LOL i'm pretty sure i've had similar trades with my gf

Comment

Working...
                                X