No announcement yet.

Current state of the shoe collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would I buy next?? I would have trouble leaving my closet in the morning if my collection was that nice! Well done sir.

All kidding aside, I agree with one of your suggestions, I would go for a pair of suede balmorals. You just put a nice one up for sale recently... Did it not fit well, or were you just looking for a change?

Comment

Fred: Surprised you still have the Loakes, you must really like them? Your row #2 C&Js (esp the first one there) are incredible. I admire your collection of bluchers but what stand out the most to me on this viewing are: your Meermin MTOs, the Paul Stuart wovens, navy suede loafers, and your EG patents. (So basically, some of your most visually captivating shoes). The C&J split toe boots look good w/ a bit of wear on them, kind of regretting passing them up now.

Edit: You need more cordovan. And as sabrown said, get some nice lush suede bals.

Comment

My god, Fred. Are you rich, or simply insane? In either case, well done, you've amassed a very impressive collection!

Considering my reliance on them in my wardrobe, I feel like your chukka section is a bit weak though, so maybe that's where you should turn your attention next. Or maybe a balmoral boot?

Comment

Spent the snow day doing some shoe maintenance, so that was sort of the impetus for posting in this thread again. In true Dappered form, I didn't purchase any of those shoes at retail price. (Well the Lowndes was a gift, and I got in early on the Meermins before the MTO price went up.)

Originally posted by sabrown View Post
          You just put a nice one up for sale recently... Did it not fit well, or were you just looking for a change?
          It was just slightly too big. I had bought it from BB back when I thought I was a 10.5. I'd like to replace it with something similar.

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
          Fred: Surprised you still have the Loakes, you must really like them? Your row #2 C&Js (esp the first one there) are incredible. I admire your collection of bluchers but what stand out the most to me on this viewing are: your Meermin MTOs, the Paul Stuart wovens, navy suede loafers, and your EG patents. (So basically, some of your most visually captivating shoes). The C&J split toe boots look good w/ a bit of wear on them, kind of regretting passing them up now.

Edit: You need more cordovan. And as sabrown said, get some nice lush suede bals.
          Thanks! Those Loakes are possibly my most worn shoes and I've really beat the hell out of them though. Tried shining them up today but that was as good as I could get them. That first C&J bal is a handgrade called the Osterley originally only sold in the Asian market that I got from Yoox. Only 1 pair of cordovan shoes, so that may be what to save for next. Those C&J Wicklow boots were sort of panned around here when I got them, but as you can see I've definitely been wearing them a bunch.

Originally posted by Trueflame View Post
          Considering my reliance on them in my wardrobe, I feel like your chukka section is a bit weak though, so maybe that's where you should turn your attention next. Or maybe a balmoral boot?
          I love my AE Malvern in suede! I used to have them in brown grain too but they killed my pinky toes so I sold them. I also used to have some AE Fifth Street boots, but the 5 last didn't fit me well and I honestly didn't wear a balmoral boot very much. Something like an Alden cordovan chukka might be a good add.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred G. Unn
            What's missing? What should I buy next? Wants include a dark brown suede balmoral, an austerity brogue, some more cordovan maybe something like the Alden Dover fey recently ordered, anything else? I didn't bother taking pics of hiking boots, gym shoes, fishing boots, snow boots, etc. but I have all those too. What would you buy next?
            of course you should get the dover i've recently taken an interest in natural chromexcel after seeing it in person. it's a pretty interesting leather. the price point of natty aldens isn't attractive, but i've been thinking of going the route of the SF MTO program with AE. natural cxl, natural (or close to) welt and edging, could look neat

Comment

Originally posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
              Hey Vicious, you'll have to update this thread once your shell Aldens come in and you sell off all those you have on eBay. I know mine has changed a bunch since August.
              Will do. Mine looks very different at the moment.

What are those black captoes in the top right pic? I'm assuming C&J of some kind?

Comment

Originally posted by fey View Post
                of course you should get the dover
                I missed the window on the Leffot pre-order so they don't have my size. Great looking shoe though!

I've kind of been eyeing a dark brown suede bal like one of these:

Or an austerity brogue like this one:

Trying to avoid any more shoe mistakes and only buying things I know fit well, fill a hole in my shoe wardrobe, and are things I know I will actually wear. Looking back at my post from August, I've now sold 9 of those shoes. Combined with other sales from the past year or so I've probably sold off at least 15 pairs. That's a LOT of mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                  Will do. Mine looks very different at the moment.

What are those black captoes in the top right pic? I'm assuming C&J of some kind?
                  Top pic is C&J for Shipton & Heneage on the left, C&J Hallam on the right.

Comment

Trying to avoid any more shoe mistakes and only buying things I know fit well, fill a hole in my shoe wardrobe, and are things I know I will actually wear. Looking back at my post from August, I've now sold 9 of those shoes. Combined with other sales from the past year or so I've probably sold off at least 15 pairs. That's a LOT of mistakes.
                    but it keeps the collection fresh!

Comment

Originally posted by fey View Post
                      but it keeps the collection fresh!
                      and the wallet empty!

Comment

Same here. I guess we have to go through that trial and error phase otherwise there's no other way of knowing for sure. Shipping 3 pairs of shoes out today and receiving a pair of Alden unlined penny loafers today (still having to go through trial and error to find a pair of loafers that will fit me properly). I decided to hang on to the Armfield and leaning towards holding on to the Ron Rider chukkas as well. I'll try to get some pics up later today if I can since I'm at home sick with a cold.

If you are looking at Shell, after having seen the Alden chukkas in person last week - the shell ones look bulkier. Someone also commented that the shell is a bit roomier so keep that in mind. The same chukkas in shell and and leather looked sleeker in the leather.

Of the shoes you're considering above, I like the 2 suede ones but not digging the looks on that brown austerity at all. I can't get over the fact that it has no holes despite looking like wingtips.

Comment

vicious, have you ever stopped by the jcrew warehouse that is around (i think) va or nc? those jcrew x aldens that pop up on ebay are definitely from that warehouse, and judging by the ebay starting prices i'd have to believe they were sold for at least half msrp. just a friendly psa

Comment

Fey - unfortunately that warehouse is in the southwest corner of VA so it's about a 3-4 hour drive for me. I do have a friend who is also interested in going so maybe well make a road trip one day.

Comment

What's missing? What should I buy next? Wants include a dark brown suede balmoral, an austerity brogue, some more cordovan maybe something like the Alden Dover fey recently ordered, anything else? I didn't bother taking pics of hiking boots, gym shoes, fishing boots, snow boots, etc. but I have all those too. What would you buy next?
                              Fred, I think we wear a similar size, so could you please put me in your will in the event of your unfortunate early demise? Let me know when the will has been executed...
                              Last edited by Jamie; February 4th, 2014, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Yep, I got my first pair of AEs about 3 years ago. At one point I think I was up to 11 pairs of AEs, now I'm down to 5. It's not like I'm in any danger of going barefoot, so I'm no longer pouncing on every 2 for $200 (now $250) sale and am trying to plan long term (like LosRockets' thread). Purchasing less, but better and smarter.
                                Same here. I don't even look at the shoe bank sales anymore. I actually just paid full price for one of the few times I can remember for a pair of shoes when I bought those shell captoe Aldens last week. I figure I might as well get what I want rather than getting what's available on sale since in the end it probably all evens out anyways with the buying and reselling.

Comment

Working...
                                X