Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DocDave
    replied
    Current state of the collection, after doing a bit of polishing this weekend.

Leave a comment:

• wsupjs
    replied
    Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
    I agree suede really isn't very high maintenance. I'm very impressed w/ your pared-down collection, wsupjs! I'd be quite happy with it save that suede PTB, I liek the idea of swapping them for a brown shell chukka. I'd also probably swap your burgundy PTB for brown shell (the RL Marlow is my grail in this category) but I like how sleek yours is and it's almost as versatile. Excellent choice of loafer, I'm surprised how versatile my #8 tassels are, I was about ready to sell them!

Trying to pare down my collection to 5:
    Fifth Street, Malvern, Marlow, Florsheim tassels, ... that 5th slot is tough. Torn between the Macneil, Slaton, Alden snuff/Patriot, I'd probably lean toward the Macneil but then I'd miss the comfort and casualness of the other loafers. Don't you ever think about expanding your collection again? I'm not even sure which of these I'd sell 2nd (first are the navy tassels for sure)!
    Thanks [MENTION=2492]LosRockets[/MENTION]! We're definitely on the same page. Suede, especially in dark colors, isn't difficult to maintain by any stretch. However, it does take more effort, supplies, and time than shell, and in my mind doesn't offer any benefits over shell. I'm content with them if they don't sell, but I would definitely prefer to swap them for a shell chukka or dressier boot.

I absolutely LOVE the Marlow line, but the C&J 325 last doesn't cooperate with my foot. I've owned at least six pairs between the different Marlow models, and none of them fit well enough for me to justify keeping them. I've heard the C&J 240 last that they use for the Peal Co shell wingtip is slimmer, and should work for me. Hopefully I can find a pair in good condition once they've been in the market for a while (it's still a relatively new shoe for BB). I'm kicking myself for passing on an SMU pair of Daltons in natural shell with red dainite soles last week. They would've covered both slots (boots and wingtip), but the seller wanted a little more for them than I preferred to pay.

In regards to expanding the collection again, I've definitely thought about it. There are a ton of shoes I'd love to add to the rotation. However, I've made a really strong effort to consolidate my entire wardrobe as much as reasonably possible (which is clear by all of my ads on here... hah), so I'd like to keep consistent with that in all areas of my wardrobe.

Leave a comment:

• LosRockets
    replied
    Oh ahahha, purely an intellectual exercise hapablap :P they're not going anywhere, I thrifted them for $45 last year!! (the consignment store received them in such dreadfully dusty and dry condition that they couldn't tell the shoes were shell, I knew immediately)

Leave a comment:

• hapablap
    replied
    If you are selling the macneils let me knowI
    I agree suede really isn't very high maintenance. I'm very impressed w/ your pared-down collection, wsupjs! I'd be quite happy with it save that suede PTB, I liek the idea of swapping them for a brown shell chukka. I'd also probably swap your burgundy PTB for brown shell (the RL Marlow is my grail in this category) but I like how sleek yours is and it's almost as versatile. Excellent choice of loafer, I'm surprised how versatile my #8 tassels are, I was about ready to sell them!

Fifth Street, Malvern, Marlow, Florsheim tassels, ... that 5th slot is tough. Torn between the Macneil, Slaton, Alden snuff/Patriot, I'd probably lean toward the Macneil but then I'd miss the comfort and casualness of the other loafers. Don't you ever think about expanding your collection again? I'm not even sure which of these I'd sell 2nd (first are the navy tassels for sure)!

Leave a comment:

• LosRockets
    replied

Leave a comment:

• devastitis
    replied
    Originally posted by wsupjs View Post
    Thanks!

The wholecuts are very rarely worn. They're basically my black cap toe (the navy shell is almost black without a bunch of sunlight), but I prefer the sleekness of the wholecut over most formal shoes.

In regards to the suede, I'm just neurotic about keeping everything in excellent condition. While some people appreciate the character displayed by suede as it ages, I'm not sure it's for me. If they don't sell, I'll keep wearing them, but would prefer to swap them for a shell chukka. A brown shell dundee or similar would be just as versatile IMO.

Carmina offers a ton of shell colors. Are you going MTO or OTR? Their burgundy and brown shades are all awesome. I'm also a big fan of the navy, but haven't seen any of the really unique shades (green, bright red, etc) in person, so I can't give an assessment of them.
    Suede is actually pretty decently easy to maintain. Brush them after every wear with a good quality suede brush, and use a suede eraser to get rid of stains. Once in a while shampoo/waterproof them. Love my suede boots with either denim or chinos.

With Carminas, I'm probably going OTR. I would love to get something special like navy shell or green shell. But I think my first pair will have to be brown or burgandy for the sake of versatility.

Leave a comment:

• wsupjs
    replied
    Originally posted by devastitis View Post
    Not a fan of wholecuts, but I love Carminas. So clean and classy. I'm planning on getting a pair of shell jumper boots by the end of the year. Just need to decide on the color.

I wouldn't sell all your suedes, if I were you. Shell are certainly nice AF, but you lose a lot of versatility if you only own shell. I understand getting rid of all calf for shell, but I would keep a pair or two of suede.
    Thanks!

The wholecuts are very rarely worn. They're basically my black cap toe (the navy shell is almost black without a bunch of sunlight), but I prefer the sleekness of the wholecut over most formal shoes.

In regards to the suede, I'm just neurotic about keeping everything in excellent condition. While some people appreciate the character displayed by suede as it ages, I'm not sure it's for me. If they don't sell, I'll keep wearing them, but would prefer to swap them for a shell chukka. A brown shell dundee or similar would be just as versatile IMO.

Carmina offers a ton of shell colors. Are you going MTO or OTR? Their burgundy and brown shades are all awesome. I'm also a big fan of the navy, but haven't seen any of the really unique shades (green, bright red, etc) in person, so I can't give an assessment of them.

Leave a comment:

• devastitis
    replied
    Originally posted by wsupjs View Post
    Here's my current collection.

From left to right:

- Carmina Navy Shell Wholecut
    - Carmina Burgundy Shell PTB
    - Carmina Burgundy Shell Half Brogue
    - Alden for BB Color 8 Shell Tassel Loafer
    - Carmina Dark Brown Suede PTB

This rotation covers all of my needs without any excess. I would like to sell the Carmina suede PTB's (which are currently listed on here if you're an 11UK/12US) and buy a pair of shell chukkas or wingtip boots. Otherwise, I think this rotation will last me for a while.
    Not a fan of wholecuts, but I love Carminas. So clean and classy. I'm planning on getting a pair of shell jumper boots by the end of the year. Just need to decide on the color.

I wouldn't sell all your suedes, if I were you. Shell are certainly nice AF, but you lose a lot of versatility if you only own shell. I understand getting rid of all calf for shell, but I would keep a pair or two of suede.

Leave a comment:

• wsupjs
    replied
    Here's my current collection.

From left to right:

- Carmina Navy Shell Wholecut
    - Carmina Burgundy Shell PTB
    - Carmina Burgundy Shell Half Brogue
    - Alden for BB Color 8 Shell Tassel Loafer
    - Carmina Dark Brown Suede PTB

This rotation covers all of my needs without any excess. I would like to sell the Carmina suede PTB's (which are currently listed on here if you're an 11UK/12US) and buy a pair of shell chukkas or wingtip boots. Otherwise, I think this rotation will last a while.
    Last edited by wsupjs; February 21, 2016, 08:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LosRockets
    replied
    [MENTION=12595]hapablap[/MENTION] - I'm a 9.5D in AE shoes, both the 5 last and the Macneil's last. In the AE 222 last I'm a 9.5E because it's a narrow last. The Macneil is one of my comfiest AE shoes.
    [MENTION=13548]srlclark[/MENTION] - great questions that I'll look into later today. I don't know anything about LE shoes off the top of my head, sorry.

Leave a comment:

• hapablap
    replied
    Finally posting my collection

Top L-->R: Alden x JCrew #8 PCT Boot, AE Fifth Street Black, AE Malvern Brogue Suede, AE Eagle County Grain GMTO (boots closeup) AExRL Slaton Snuff Suede, AE Macneil #8, RL Marlow (bluchers closeup)
    Bottom: AE Patriot Brown Calf, Alden Snuff Suede Flex Penny Loafer, Meermin Navy Suede Tassel, Florsheim Imperial #8 Tassel (loafers closeup), Carmina Choco Suede on Simpson, AE Park Ave Black Calf, Andrew Lock Brown Calf (bals closeup)

Incoming: Carmina split toe blucher on Rain in Vegano Marron.

Very happy w/ where the collection is at. Don't really have an urge to add anything, but the weakest part of the collection are definitely the balmorals since I don't have to get super dressy at work. I would appreciate a wingtip balmoral like the McAllister and a quarter brogue like the Strands but I'd prefer to buy something from a brand other than AE going forward because most of them aren't very comfortable to me. Apart from these additions, which I don't think I'll make for a few years unless there's a screaming deal, I'm going to try to only do 1:1 swaps.

Most worn are probably the Patriots, Alden Loafers, Marlow, Macneil, and Malvern.
    How do the cordovan Macneils fit compared to other AEs? Do you fit similar to the 5 last or the the 511 (like a dalton). I am brannock size 9.5 but am considering a cordovan Macneil in size 9 but not sure if it would fit in length or width. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• srlclark
    replied
    Too bad about your Kenilworth's. I love mine. They're my fourth and most recent pair of AE. I picked them up in October for less than $100 when they started popping up on the Shoebank again. They've served me well this winter. I reach for them more often than any of the brogues.

Yeah, I also wouldn't pay EG prices but I'm sure the finishing is preferable to AE. Loake's version of tan has more of a yellow hue than an orange one, so it is paler. Have you considered them? I'm not sure they're any less loud than AE's walnut, though. Or the Alden for J. Crew waxed long wings? By the way, do you know anything about LLBean's leather shoes? They have a dark brown long wing and a dark brown chelsea boot, both of which are goodyear welted and under $200.

Nah, the wools are mostly Ralph Lauren by Corneliani. I have no experience w/ Spier's trousers but I've heard good things. My problems with the Walnut Strands are that they're ubiquitous and I just don't think I'd wear any walnut/tan color too much. Maybe if I go less orange and more pale, like how Edward Green does their tan, I'd wear it more. That's also a lot more expensive than I'm ever hoping to pay for shoes.

I miss my brown burnished Kenilworth! Actually, I still have them, they're 5 feet away from me, but they're listed for sale so I'm not wearing them (half size too big). I love the shape and look. One day I'll find the perfect-fitting, sleek, brown plain toed blucher to replace them. Or maybe a chelsea boot.

Leave a comment:

• LosRockets
    replied
    Nah, the wools are mostly Ralph Lauren by Corneliani. I have no experience w/ Spier's trousers but I've heard good things. My problems with the Walnut Strands are that they're ubiquitous and I just don't think I'd wear any walnut/tan color too much. Maybe if I go less orange and more pale, like how Edward Green does their tan, I'd wear it more. That's also a lot more expensive than I'm ever hoping to pay for shoes.

I miss my brown burnished Kenilworth! Actually, I still have them, they're 5 feet away from me, but they're listed for sale so I'm not wearing them (half size too big). I love the shape and look. One day I'll find the perfect-fitting, sleek, brown plain toed blucher to replace them. Or maybe a chelsea boot.

Leave a comment:

• srlclark
    replied
    A quarter-brogue has brogue detail along the toe cap but that's it. So, AE's Fifth Avenue is a quarter brogue. I'm not sure if the same naming system applies to bluchers as to balmorals, but if it does then your suede AE for RL shoes are a quarter brogue, too.

Yes, I believe that that is why AE is discontinuing the color. I'm not great at burnishing, either, but I think trying to maintain the bourbon would be a good challenge. I own AE in dark brown (Kenilworth), walnut (Strand), and reddish-brown (cognac McTavish), so medium-brown is the main hole in my brown spectrum. I also have liked many of the bourbon shoes I've seen in the shop. Of course, they don't put on display the ones that didn't turn out well! But I'd ask the ShoeBank rep to e-mail me photos of the pair I was buying so that I could see for myself how they turned out before buying. The cognac is probably more brown and less red than chili, but the difference isn't all that great. I'll get a pair in chili sometime, but they seem committed to that color, so there's no hurry.

AE's walnut is basically a form of tan, so if you like the Strand, you could think about walnut Strands for your tan shoe?

I agree with you about the pant matching. I must say that your pant collection is very impressive! Are any of them from Spier and Mackay?

[MENTION=13548]srlclark[/MENTION] - Thank's for the education/correction. I wasn't sure of myself when writing it. What's a quarter-brogue then? Maybe I missed it in your post. Regardless I do like the Strands Bourbon seems to be such a hard color to maintain and I'm terrible at burnishing or making a patina so I'm worried I'd just ruin the finish in no time, otherwise I'd like a pair. Isn't AE discontinuing the Bourbon because they're having such a hard time making a consistent finish in that color? TBH I don't find my Alden x JCrew boots to be very comfortable...the Barrie last is not well suited to my foot. I may wind up selling these boots someday, but they were a gift to myself for completing a major milestone almost 1 year ago, so I want to hold on to them for now (and I only paid $460 during one of those rare JCrew Alden sales).

Re: black shoes -#8 works in pretty much any scenario where you're thinking black except for funerals and black-tie level stuff IMO. I think the bes tway to grow a shoe collection is in conjunction w/ your pants wardrobe. To that end, if you look at the trousers I posted:

most of the shoes can go with most of the pants, which is what I like. I could use something in tan to go with my dark brown/tobacco brown pants, because I have a hard time pairing shoes with those colors.

Leave a comment:

• LosRockets
    replied
    [MENTION=13548]srlclark[/MENTION] - Thank's for the education/correction. I wasn't sure of myself when writing it. What's a quarter-brogue then? Maybe I missed it in your post. Regardless I do like the Strands Bourbon seems to be such a hard color to maintain and I'm terrible at burnishing or making a patina so I'm worried I'd just ruin the finish in no time, otherwise I'd like a pair. Isn't AE discontinuing the Bourbon because they're having such a hard time making a consistent finish in that color? TBH I don't find my Alden x JCrew boots to be very comfortable...the Barrie last is not well suited to my foot. I may wind up selling these boots someday, but they were a gift to myself for completing a major milestone almost 1 year ago, so I want to hold on to them for now (and I only paid $460 during one of those rare JCrew Alden sales).

Re: black shoes -#8 works in pretty much any scenario where you're thinking black except for funerals and black-tie level stuff IMO. I think the bes tway to grow a shoe collection is in conjunction w/ your pants wardrobe. To that end, if you look at the trousers I posted:

most of the shoes can go with most of the pants, which is what I like. I could use something in tan to go with my dark brown/tobacco brown pants, because I have a hard time pairing shoes with those colors.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X