Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Current state of the shoe collection

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [MENTION=12595]hapablap[/MENTION] - I'm a 9.5D in AE shoes, both the 5 last and the Macneil's last. In the AE 222 last I'm a 9.5E because it's a narrow last. The Macneil is one of my comfiest AE shoes.
    [MENTION=13548]srlclark[/MENTION] - great questions that I'll look into later today. I don't know anything about LE shoes off the top of my head, sorry.

    Comment


    • Here's my current collection.



      From left to right:

      - Carmina Navy Shell Wholecut
      - Carmina Burgundy Shell PTB
      - Carmina Burgundy Shell Half Brogue
      - Alden for BB Color 8 Shell Tassel Loafer
      - Carmina Dark Brown Suede PTB

      This rotation covers all of my needs without any excess. I would like to sell the Carmina suede PTB's (which are currently listed on here if you're an 11UK/12US) and buy a pair of shell chukkas or wingtip boots. Otherwise, I think this rotation will last a while.
      Last edited by wsupjs; February 21, 2016, 07:07 PM.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by wsupjs View Post
        Here's my current collection.



        From left to right:

        - Carmina Navy Shell Wholecut
        - Carmina Burgundy Shell PTB
        - Carmina Burgundy Shell Half Brogue
        - Alden for BB Color 8 Shell Tassel Loafer
        - Carmina Dark Brown Suede PTB

        This rotation covers all of my needs without any excess. I would like to sell the Carmina suede PTB's (which are currently listed on here if you're an 11UK/12US) and buy a pair of shell chukkas or wingtip boots. Otherwise, I think this rotation will last me for a while.
        Not a fan of wholecuts, but I love Carminas. So clean and classy. I'm planning on getting a pair of shell jumper boots by the end of the year. Just need to decide on the color.

        I wouldn't sell all your suedes, if I were you. Shell are certainly nice AF, but you lose a lot of versatility if you only own shell. I understand getting rid of all calf for shell, but I would keep a pair or two of suede.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by devastitis View Post
          Not a fan of wholecuts, but I love Carminas. So clean and classy. I'm planning on getting a pair of shell jumper boots by the end of the year. Just need to decide on the color.

          I wouldn't sell all your suedes, if I were you. Shell are certainly nice AF, but you lose a lot of versatility if you only own shell. I understand getting rid of all calf for shell, but I would keep a pair or two of suede.
          Thanks!

          The wholecuts are very rarely worn. They're basically my black cap toe (the navy shell is almost black without a bunch of sunlight), but I prefer the sleekness of the wholecut over most formal shoes.

          In regards to the suede, I'm just neurotic about keeping everything in excellent condition. While some people appreciate the character displayed by suede as it ages, I'm not sure it's for me. If they don't sell, I'll keep wearing them, but would prefer to swap them for a shell chukka. A brown shell dundee or similar would be just as versatile IMO.

          Carmina offers a ton of shell colors. Are you going MTO or OTR? Their burgundy and brown shades are all awesome. I'm also a big fan of the navy, but haven't seen any of the really unique shades (green, bright red, etc) in person, so I can't give an assessment of them.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by wsupjs View Post
            Thanks!

            The wholecuts are very rarely worn. They're basically my black cap toe (the navy shell is almost black without a bunch of sunlight), but I prefer the sleekness of the wholecut over most formal shoes.

            In regards to the suede, I'm just neurotic about keeping everything in excellent condition. While some people appreciate the character displayed by suede as it ages, I'm not sure it's for me. If they don't sell, I'll keep wearing them, but would prefer to swap them for a shell chukka. A brown shell dundee or similar would be just as versatile IMO.

            Carmina offers a ton of shell colors. Are you going MTO or OTR? Their burgundy and brown shades are all awesome. I'm also a big fan of the navy, but haven't seen any of the really unique shades (green, bright red, etc) in person, so I can't give an assessment of them.
            Suede is actually pretty decently easy to maintain. Brush them after every wear with a good quality suede brush, and use a suede eraser to get rid of stains. Once in a while shampoo/waterproof them. Love my suede boots with either denim or chinos.

            With Carminas, I'm probably going OTR. I would love to get something special like navy shell or green shell. But I think my first pair will have to be brown or burgandy for the sake of versatility.

            Comment


            • I agree suede really isn't very high maintenance. I'm very impressed w/ your pared-down collection, wsupjs! I'd be quite happy with it save that suede PTB, I liek the idea of swapping them for a brown shell chukka. I'd also probably swap your burgundy PTB for brown shell (the RL Marlow is my grail in this category) but I like how sleek yours is and it's almost as versatile. Excellent choice of loafer, I'm surprised how versatile my #8 tassels are, I was about ready to sell them!

              Trying to pare down my collection to 5:
              Fifth Street, Malvern, Marlow, Florsheim tassels, ... that 5th slot is tough. Torn between the Macneil, Slaton, Alden snuff/Patriot, I'd probably lean toward the Macneil but then I'd miss the comfort and casualness of the other loafers. Don't you ever think about expanding your collection again? I'm not even sure which of these I'd sell 2nd (first are the navy tassels for sure)!

              Comment


              • If you are selling the macneils let me knowI
                Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
                I agree suede really isn't very high maintenance. I'm very impressed w/ your pared-down collection, wsupjs! I'd be quite happy with it save that suede PTB, I liek the idea of swapping them for a brown shell chukka. I'd also probably swap your burgundy PTB for brown shell (the RL Marlow is my grail in this category) but I like how sleek yours is and it's almost as versatile. Excellent choice of loafer, I'm surprised how versatile my #8 tassels are, I was about ready to sell them!

                Trying to pare down my collection to 5:
                Fifth Street, Malvern, Marlow, Florsheim tassels, ... that 5th slot is tough. Torn between the Macneil, Slaton, Alden snuff/Patriot, I'd probably lean toward the Macneil but then I'd miss the comfort and casualness of the other loafers. Don't you ever think about expanding your collection again? I'm not even sure which of these I'd sell 2nd (first are the navy tassels for sure)!

                Comment


                • Oh ahahha, purely an intellectual exercise hapablap :P they're not going anywhere, I thrifted them for $45 last year!! (the consignment store received them in such dreadfully dusty and dry condition that they couldn't tell the shoes were shell, I knew immediately)

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
                    I agree suede really isn't very high maintenance. I'm very impressed w/ your pared-down collection, wsupjs! I'd be quite happy with it save that suede PTB, I liek the idea of swapping them for a brown shell chukka. I'd also probably swap your burgundy PTB for brown shell (the RL Marlow is my grail in this category) but I like how sleek yours is and it's almost as versatile. Excellent choice of loafer, I'm surprised how versatile my #8 tassels are, I was about ready to sell them!

                    Trying to pare down my collection to 5:
                    Fifth Street, Malvern, Marlow, Florsheim tassels, ... that 5th slot is tough. Torn between the Macneil, Slaton, Alden snuff/Patriot, I'd probably lean toward the Macneil but then I'd miss the comfort and casualness of the other loafers. Don't you ever think about expanding your collection again? I'm not even sure which of these I'd sell 2nd (first are the navy tassels for sure)!
                    Thanks [MENTION=2492]LosRockets[/MENTION]! We're definitely on the same page. Suede, especially in dark colors, isn't difficult to maintain by any stretch. However, it does take more effort, supplies, and time than shell, and in my mind doesn't offer any benefits over shell. I'm content with them if they don't sell, but I would definitely prefer to swap them for a shell chukka or dressier boot.

                    I absolutely LOVE the Marlow line, but the C&J 325 last doesn't cooperate with my foot. I've owned at least six pairs between the different Marlow models, and none of them fit well enough for me to justify keeping them. I've heard the C&J 240 last that they use for the Peal Co shell wingtip is slimmer, and should work for me. Hopefully I can find a pair in good condition once they've been in the market for a while (it's still a relatively new shoe for BB). I'm kicking myself for passing on an SMU pair of Daltons in natural shell with red dainite soles last week. They would've covered both slots (boots and wingtip), but the seller wanted a little more for them than I preferred to pay.

                    In regards to expanding the collection again, I've definitely thought about it. There are a ton of shoes I'd love to add to the rotation. However, I've made a really strong effort to consolidate my entire wardrobe as much as reasonably possible (which is clear by all of my ads on here... hah), so I'd like to keep consistent with that in all areas of my wardrobe.

                    Comment


                    • Current state of the collection, after doing a bit of polishing this weekend.

                      Comment


                      • Impressive, [MENTION=13399]DocDave[/MENTION] !

                        I'd like to know what they are, so, I'm going to guess. These are all Allen Edmonds, right?

                        The middle row all look like AE Macalister except on the right--those are AE Strands, as are the first two on the left in the first row.

                        The two pairs on the right in the front are AE Fifth Avenues. I think the boots are Daltons. The one on the right in the last row looks like another Macallister. And next to that is a Cornwallis (love that color).

                        I would post mine, but I am so far behind in polishing that I'm embarrassed.
                        WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

                        Comment


                        • Looks good, DocDave. Don't forget your edge dressing.

                          Comment


                          • That's a lot of oxfords Dave. I'm guessing you have to dress up for work more than I do. I only own 2 pairs of oxfords (brown and black) for when I wear a suit. The rest of the time it's derby's and chukkas.

                            Comment


                            • [MENTION=17354]mebejoseph[/MENTION] let's see, from back to front: 2 x Dalton, 1 x Cornwallis, 1 x McAllilster. Next row 3 x McAllister, 1 x Strand. Next row 2 x Strand 2 x Fifth Avenue.

                              [MENTION=13026]Evenflow[/MENTION] help me out here. What is 'edge dressing'?

                              [MENTION=3421]Vicious49[/MENTION] you bet. Suit and tie two days a week and then office casual for the rest. I'd like to buy some more casual shoes but my current rotation seems to fit my needs nicely.

                              Comment


                              • The edges of the sole. Where the front of the walnut Strand and chili 5th Avenue are scuffed, for example. They sell edge dressing in a bottle to remedy that, and it makes your shoes look good.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X