Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something similar to Filson Original Brief?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something similar to Filson Original Brief?

I want to buy one of these, but I always like to look for something cheaper but similar first.
    I love a navy with brown leather brief/laptop bag.
    http://www.filson.com/products/origi...taProduct=1019

I also like the new tweed-accented version. also in navy (i have a blue obsession)
    http://www.filson.com/products/twill...taProduct=1019

Any thoughts? Or should I just man up and get one of them? They could definitely be more expensive. Not a terrible price, really. Just wanted to see what is out there!

J.Crew Factory sells a very similar bag, I got one for about $40 during a sale/promotion a year or so ago. Unless I'm mistaken, however, they only come in one colorway (dark khaki canvas with brown leather details).

http://factory.jcrew.com/mens-clothi...4056/54056.jsp

Last edited by LesserBlackDog; August 29, 2013, 12:48 PM.
    Ben

Comment

do you have an in-person pic by chance? might be worth a look (even though i prefer navy)
      do you like it?

Comment

I check out that JCF bag (along with their other bags) back during a 40% (or was it 50%) off store-wide sale. It seemes very nice for the low price. However, I passed on the laptop bag, because it seemed quite *flimsy*. I guess you could pack your laptop inside a neoprene padded case first or whatever, but I was really looking for a bag with some built-in support. Just something to consider; maybe.

LBD, is that assessment at all in line with your experience actually owning/using that bag? I *think* I'm thinking of the same bag. I mean JCF only has one line of bags, right?

Comment

I really like the JCF bag, BUT it has a really thin leather bottom. I'm afraid a gash or cut in the leather would be a high probability.

For me, I'm waiting to snag a Jack Spade or other waxed cotton bag from a discounter like Marshalls or TJ Maxx.

Comment

I haven't used the JCF bag much (in part because I have a very nice Coach leather messenger that my parents gave me several years ago). As I recall, it's nice for a $40 bag, but it's still a $40 bag. The leather details feel plasticky and the canvas was nothing to write home about. It didn't necessarily feel flimsy to me, but it didn't strike me as a bag you'd own for a lifetime.

My thought is that it might be a nice placeholder to own for a few years while you save up for a bag that will be more of a lifetime purchase, like a nice leather briefcase or the Filson or whatever.
            Ben

Comment

Originally posted by mcadamsandwich View Post
              For me, I'm waiting to snag a Jack Spade or other waxed cotton bag from a discounter like Marshalls or TJ Maxx.
              Marshalls has had a few of the waxed JS ones for around $150 - saw one marked down to $100.

Also, if you have a Nordstrom Rack nearby, they tend to get some in from time to time too. The one near me just got a few JS nylon (I think) ones - they might have been canvas - I can't recall now. I just glanced them up on the rack - didn't really check them out in person.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                It didn't necessarily feel flimsy to me, but it didn't strike me as a bag you'd own for a lifetime.
                Maybe flimsy was a bad word choice. Dunno. I guess "unstructured" might be better. Regardless, sounds about right: worth the $, but not a "family heirloom." (hehe - just finished reading the $1K cufflinks thread) - Cool. Thanks for the personal use feedback.

Comment

Working...
                X