Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gustin Jeans Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Gustin Jeans Discussion Thread

    Moderator's note:

    Please limit your posts in this thread to the discussion of Gustin Jeans.

    Please do not post any referral links in this thread. If you wish to share a referral link, you may do so in the Gustin Jeans Referral Link Thread.

    Xeones25's original post:

    Here is a photo set of the first time I wore my pair. I normally wear 32x34 (Lee, Dockers, Banana Republic, J Crew, Lands' End, LEC, Kenneth Cole) and figure a 31x34 of Bonobos travel jeans would fit best because the 32 waist I bought was a bit too big (didn't have any 31x34 in stock for me to exchange for).
    I'd say my slim fit Gustin jeans fit most similarly to my 608 Lands' End Canvas chinos.

    They were a pain to button the top two buttons the first time, but have been easy to button up since. I really like the fit and fabric and ordered a second pair a week after receiving my first pair. My first pair is #31 The Original and the second pair, which I haven't received yet, is #52 Rainbow Nep.

    Great jeans so far and I would recommend them. I guess I'll be posting fade pictures in about five months.
    Last edited by bruschetta; August 24, 2013, 05:27 PM. Reason: Xeones25 asked me to update this post.
    Measurements: 6'2", 173 lbs, 16" neck, 35/36" sleeve, 42" chest, 32" waist, 33.5" inseam

    #2
    Gah! You totally beat me to the punch (by about ten minutes I might add). Anyway, I hope you get a lot of referrals! Also, I have to agree that I'm extremely satisfied with the pairs I've received so far (Organic, #17 Super Heavy, and #24 Slate). I'd also like to point out that they are launching Thomas Mason shirting next week starting with OCBDs, and plan to also sell selvedge chambray shirts.

    I'd post my referral code, but don't want to look like I'm trying to hijack any of your business, Xeones25.

    Comment


      #3
      I'm still waiting on my first pair of jeans to arrive. Ill reserve judgement until then, and my code as well. I don't like referring companies unless its something I support or believe in myself. It seems like a good idea but I can't speak about the quality or fit until my first pair gets here.

      Comment


        #4
        Hey Xeones, signed up under you! Looking forward to ordering as soon as the next <10oz denim comes out... (or the OCBD, whichever comes first.). What size did you order for the slim fit Gustin?

        Comment


          #5
          Just registered!
          6'4" 210lbs, 40L, 15.5/35, 35x34

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by BroSharp View Post
            Hey Xeones, signed up under you! Looking forward to ordering as soon as the next <10oz denim comes out... (or the OCBD, whichever comes first.). What size did you order for the slim fit Gustin?
            Thanks!
            I ordered size 32. Very similar to my Lands' End Canvas 608 chinos after breaking in. They are tighter than BR's slim fit and JCF Urban Slim.
            Yeah, I was very close to ordering one of those Light Italian 9 oz runs. That would be perfect for the hot weather. The 12.5 oz is fine up to mid-80's, but I'm not sure how much I'll be wearing them when it hits 90+.
            Measurements: 6'2", 173 lbs, 16" neck, 35/36" sleeve, 42" chest, 32" waist, 33.5" inseam

            Comment


              #7
              I registed via a link on reddit that's $25 off. Waiting for a grey color to come up though.
              5'8" 155 lbs 39" chest 33" sleeves 33" waist

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Redford View Post
                I registed via a link on reddit that's $25 off. Waiting for a grey color to come up though.
                They just did a grey/grey one. I think they only released it a few days ago and it already sold out. Keep an eye on it the next few days because if they have more fabric, they'll open it up for a 2nd or 3rd round.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Just a heads up. Gustin just started shirting. Here is the sizing chart. Just to note that those are the measurements of the shirt, not you. Unfortunately it doesn't look like I'd get anywhere near a good fit with them. I'd need a large (like normal for dress shirts) to get the correct neck and sleeve length, but I'd be swimming in the waist and the chest would be looser than I like.

                  Also, I've added six pictures that I just took so people can see how much they stretch. These were hard as all get out to button the top button initially. Now they fit like a normal 32 waist for me.
                  Measurements: 6'2", 173 lbs, 16" neck, 35/36" sleeve, 42" chest, 32" waist, 33.5" inseam

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by sub150 View Post
                    Must say I am intrigued by this brand. I have only bought Jeans from Nordstrom Rack and want to try out Selvedge. The problem is I don't wear jeans a lot (weekends only pretty much) and they have to be lightweight due to Miami weather.
                    They do different weights, you just won't know when. Keep an eye out since they put new ones up every few days. Read the descriptions to see what the color and weight is of each new campaign as it comes up.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by sub150 View Post
                      Must say I am intrigued by this brand. I have only bought Jeans from Nordstrom Rack and want to try out Selvedge. The problem is I don't wear jeans a lot (weekends only pretty much) and they have to be lightweight due to Miami weather.
                      You started at the right time then. They currently have this pair of light jeans going. They are 10 oz, the lightest denim Gustin has ever offered was 9 oz. I'm currently debating springing on these since I'd like a lighter pair for the summers here in Atlanta.
                      Only problem with these is you won't get them until September, but in Miami that won't be much of a problem since it doesn't seem to start cooling off until the end of October (I lived in Daytona Beach for 3.5 years). Also, it's one of their more expensive pairs. Pairs are either $81 or $99, my first pair was $81 and the second pair which I should be getting next month was $99.

                      Agreed Vicious, the $20 would have been nice.
                      Measurements: 6'2", 173 lbs, 16" neck, 35/36" sleeve, 42" chest, 32" waist, 33.5" inseam

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Xeones25 View Post
                        You started at the right time then. They currently have this pair of light jeans going. They are 10 oz, the lightest denim Gustin has ever offered was 9 oz. I'm currently debating springing on these since I'd like a lighter pair for the summers here in Atlanta.
                        Only problem with these is you won't get them until September, but in Miami that won't be much of a problem since it doesn't seem to start cooling off until the end of October (I lived in Daytona Beach for 3.5 years). Also, it's one of their more expensive pairs. Pairs are either $81 or $99, my first pair was $81 and the second pair which I should be getting next month was $99.

                        Agreed Vicious, the $20 would have been nice.
                        Those look really nice. I see this in their description "If you want an instantly comfortable pair of raw denim, this is it."....is this accurate. I thought raw denim took a while to break in and get comfortable? I'd assume the 10oz breaks in quicker.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          any fit recommendations, for the slim cut jeans?

                          i wear 30x30 levi's 511 (they feel a little on the tight side), 29x30 docker alphas (perfectly), 29x30 gap lived in slim chinos (tight also). i also have a proportionally larger thighs and calves relative to my waist size, so they tend to be tight while my waist might be loose.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by fey View Post
                            any fit recommendations, for the slim cut jeans?

                            i wear 30x30 levi's 511 (they feel a little on the tight side), 29x30 docker alphas (perfectly), 29x30 gap lived in slim chinos (tight also). i also have a proportionally larger thighs and calves relative to my waist size, so they tend to be tight while my waist might be loose.
                            They have a pretty extensive Fit Guide that should tell you all you need to know.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by sub150 View Post
                              Those look really nice. I see this in their description "If you want an instantly comfortable pair of raw denim, this is it."....is this accurate. I thought raw denim took a while to break in and get comfortable? I'd assume the 10oz breaks in quicker.
                              Raw denim, especially the heavier weights won't be as instantly soft as denim that has undergone processes like stone (pumice) washing, or hand sanding, but all else being equal, it should last a lot longer, because those processes actually abrade the threads. If you are looking for softness, different denims have different characteristics, and yes the heavier ones are apt to feel stiffer, but softness is not only a matter for thickness, a lot goes into that, and I have felt some very soft raw denims. As far as my own experience goes, I got the Classic which is a mid weight Japanese denim. I bought them snug, so they would stretch to a comfortable fit, rather than stretch to a saggy fit, and I was rewarded with a pair that fit excellent after just a couple days wear. As far as softness goes, the fabric was slightly crispy, but less so than say a pair of Levis 501 STF. After a month plus of wear, the fit is still spot on, not saggy, and the feel of the fabric is about what you would expect of a newish pair of jeans, if a little heavier than your average pair of 501s.

                              So yeah I would say mine were comfortable quickly, but not necessarily perfectly comfortable the first time I put them on, and I at least don't really want them to be that soft at first, and chose a tighter fit so htye would not get baggy. I like the feel of a heavier weight denim, but if you want a softer, less "there" feel, I would suggest a lighter weight denim. The lefthand twill they have right now should be quite good. It's only 10 oz, and lefthand twill is known for having a soft hand.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X