No announcement yet.

Gustin Jeans Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you guys get them hemmed? I've read various things about chain stitching but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this stuff. I'm a 30 length so I'd probably need to get them hemmed at least 2 inches.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeylikesit View Post
      How do you guys get them hemmed? I've read various things about chain stitching but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this stuff. I'm a 30 length so I'd probably need to get them hemmed at least 2 inches.
      Yes I get them hemmed but I would wash them first - initial shrinkage can be significant

Comment

Still have a pair of worn once 36 Heavy American straight sitting around. I'd trade for a slim pair of Gustins or sell for $75 shipped conus.

Comment

recently order my first 2 pairs, the grey silks and a pair of the japan graphite. so stoked to get them

Comment

Originally posted by AFCForever View Post
            Yes I get them hemmed but I would wash them first - initial shrinkage can be significant
            When I first washed my 15ers (warm tub soak), I lost about 1" or more in the process...

Comment

I can't tell you guys how happy I am with my gustin purchases. I have multiple pairs of jeans, shirts, one belt and one duffle bag.

The heavyweight belt is amazing it is a sturdy piece of meat and though the price went up it is still worth it. Honestly it's amazing.

The duffle also should easy be a $300 bag. Mine was free of any defect and is an awesome piece that will she with grace ever use. The hardware is awesome sturdy, thick and looks great.

My gustin chambray is probably my favorite shirt. Love the material weight and feel. They are updating the buttons to thicker mother of pearl soon. Gustins chambray, flannel and twill shirts are amazing. I also like the poplin fabric but something about the more hearty fabrics just is a great feel to wear. I recommend the basic chambray, cream slate flannel, charcoal grey twill.

I have the unwaxed army green herringbone chore coat coming in this fall. Can't wait to get it my first outerwear from Gustin.

Currently have a ton of jeans from them and the fabric selection is amazing. Grey/blue silks are one hell of a fabric, heavier weight jeans pop up often and if you don't have a heavy fabric jean yet this would be a great chance. I have Gustins 26'oz beasts and 9oz super lights. Super lights are chambray like in feel and very easy to wear on hot days. The 26's are a beast and one hell of an experiance should make for a great cold weather jean. The blackxaqua and cone blueXblacks also have a light crisp feel unlike most denim to start. They really run a ton of awesome jeans and have something for everyone.

Gustin does make mistakes but they WILL take care of you. Returns are very easy and if they make a mistake yu won't have to pay for return shipping and maybe even some extra store credit. Customer service is great.

Comment

My first pair of Gustin jeans arrived today, #136 The Grey Herringbone, and I'm rather stoked about them.

They're 10.5oz so I should be able to wear them all year-round and the pattern is pretty spectacular, especially when cuffed. Fit is pretty spot on with the exception of length, which is understandably long.

I can't wait to break them in.

Regards,
                Vic
                "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life." - Jean-Luc Picard

Comment

Just ordered my first pair the other day. Really hope that it fits well after breaking in. Reading about the shrinking and stretching has me worried. I'm a 34/34 so didn't want to size the waist down to a 33 since the inseam would be a 34 and I'd risk shrinking it too much. so 34/36 it is. Hoping that after initial wash and shrink, that it won't stretch out too much on my waist.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottE View Post
                    Just ordered my first pair the other day. Really hope that it fits well after breaking in. Reading about the shrinking and stretching has me worried. I'm a 34/34 so didn't want to size the waist down to a 33 since the inseam would be a 34 and I'd risk shrinking it too much. so 34/36 it is. Hoping that after initial wash and shrink, that it won't stretch out too much on my waist.
                    They seem to really only stretch where they need to in most cases. If you're really worried about it, I'd wear a belt from day one to try and keep the waist from stretching.
                    Countryside Man of Letters

Comment

Just backed the Hickory Stripe 2 work shirt. Can't wait for November now!

My wife loves this style of shirt on me, much more so than my usual "dappered" look. Memories of when I used to turn wrenches when we first got together. She will love it, as long as she never knows the price =). And I will love it because of all the fashion nerd details =)

Comment

Wanted to wear my new Gustin Heavy American's today and they're way too long (like 5 inches) so I just rolled them under. Of course, they've already started to bleed onto my tan suede chukkas. Doh!

As much as I wish I had the time to read the 94 pages of this thread, can anyone give me the specific, detailed steps to break them in/shrink them before I get them hemmed? Or point me to a site that lays it out in simple steps.

Looking for as much specificity as I can get. Thanks in advance!

Comment

I don't know how correct this is but I wash mine as soon as I receive them in the washing machine with cold water. I've tossed mine in the dryer too. Denimheads will tell you you shouldn't do this if you want the fades, creasing, etc. but I don't care much about that so it works for me.

Comment

Is it an either/or proposition?

If I do the cold water/vinegar set I won't get the "sick fadez"? ;-)

If I want the "sick fadez", I have to live with dye rubbing off on everything?

Comment

Originally posted by Murph65 View Post
                              Is it an either/or proposition?

If I do the cold water/vinegar set I won't get the "sick fadez"? ;-)

If I want the "sick fadez", I have to live with dye rubbing off on everything?
                              The Heavy Americans are sanforized denim (pre-shrunk), so don't expect a lot to change with a wash. However, you can wash them to remove loose dye, starch, and to get that extra 1% shrink:

1. Turn the pants inside out; this helps prevent excessive dye loss.
                              2. Wash them by hand in the tub or in a washing machine with low agitation (hand wash setting).
                              3. Use cold/room temp water for a normal wash or hot water for maximum shrink.
                              4. If you want to use a detergent (no reason to at this moment), use Woolite Dark to maintain color.
                              5. Hang dry the jeans.

• Do not wear your jeans in the tub. This "method" will cause bags to form around your knees, which look weird.
                              • Do not wash your jeans with any other garments.
                              • Do not dry your jeans in the dryer. This is how your jeans get crumpled, which causes weird fade lines to appear that don't line up with your body.
                              • For "syck fadez", wear them constantly and wash them rarely.
                              • For "normal dude fades", wash them whenever they get dirty/smelly.

The best fades are the ones you're not trying to get. Just wear them as much as possible and your life will leave it's imprint. Wabi sabi.

Comment

Originally posted by mcadamsandwich View Post
                                The best fades are the ones you're not trying to get. Just wear them as much as possible and your life will leave it's imprint. Wabi sabi.
                                This is true. I think it also depends on the jeans. My 1776 are getting fades where my cell phone is always in my pocket and some other areas whereas my Japan Standards aren't getting any. I wash and wear them pretty much the same but got different results.

Comment

Working...
                                X