Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gustin Jeans Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #76
    Originally posted by mcadamsandwich View Post
    For me, even a $20 discount doesn't take ALL of the "sting" out. To fully remove any risk for new buyers, they really need to find a solution to their return/exchange process.

    I think that with a "standard" pair of jeans available to buy and try on (along with a solid, no questions asked return policy like Bonobos has), a buyer has almost zero risk in purchasing future denim projects from Gustin. I'd even be fine with a limited return/exchange for credit policy on the "unique" denim projects if I could buy a pair of anything else to try on first.
    You bring up a great point. On another recent kickstarter by RPM West, they might not have had as many quality offerings as Gustin, but I loved their business model in that you can choose up to 3 sizes, and then return they other 2 that didnt work out. I was tempted to give them a try, but seeing as that I already determined what size worked best for me with Gustin, I didn't feel it was necessary.

    Comment


      #77
      Originally posted by mcadamsandwich View Post
      For me, even a $20 discount doesn't take ALL of the "sting" out. To fully remove any risk for new buyers, they really need to find a solution to their return/exchange process.

      I think that with a "standard" pair of jeans available to buy and try on (along with a solid, no questions asked return policy like Bonobos has), a buyer has almost zero risk in purchasing future denim projects from Gustin. I'd even be fine with a limited return/exchange for credit policy on the "unique" denim projects if I could buy a pair of anything else to try on first.
      I am fine with them not offering returns. It's one of the ways they keep cost low. Their CCC is 0 days and they have no inventory.

      What I would suggest is some sort of consignment through Gustin. Gustin never refunds the customer, but the customer would send their jeans to Gustin (so they are in possession) and Gustin would offer them for sale in a different section of the site...at some sort of discount most likely. Gustin would be able to verify they are still in good condition, sizing would be limited, but it's a better option than what they have now. The new buyer "returns" the money to the original buyer. If they don't sell, drop the price til they do. Some lines will sell quick, others won't.
      Last edited by sub150; August 13, 2013, 02:50 PM.

      Comment


        #78
        Originally posted by sub150 View Post
        I am fine with them not offering returns. It's one of the ways they keep cost low. Their CCC is 0 days and they have no inventory.

        What I would suggest is some sort of consignment through Gustin. Gustin never refunds the customer, but the customer would send their jeans to Gustin (so they are in possession) and Gustin would offer them for sale in a different section of the site...at some sort of discount most likely. Gustin would be able to verify they are still in good condition, sizing would be limited, but it's a better option than what they have now. The new buyer "returns" the money to the original buyer. If they don't sell, drop the price til they do. Some lines will sell quick, others won't.
        Except that Gustin actually DOES manage returns. They try to work exchanges when they can by swapping one persons returns with another's, and they also have been known to offer store credit for returns. I know their return process is not as smooth as with a company that maintains an inventory, but your suggestion is not as good as what they are already doing.

        Comment


          #79
          From their How it works page on returns:
          Originally posted by https://www.weargustin.com/howitworks
          Can I exchange or return an item after I receive it?

          Unlike other brands, we don’t carry inventory. This helps us keep our prices low, but makes exchanges a bit trickier. We’ll do our best to facilitate swapping out unworn, unwashed and unaltered items for a similar style or store credit. If you have any questions don't hesitate to email us.

          Comment


            #80
            Originally posted by mattface View Post
            Except that Gustin actually DOES manage returns. They try to work exchanges when they can by swapping one persons returns with another's, and they also have been known to offer store credit for returns. I know their return process is not as smooth as with a company that maintains an inventory, but your suggestion is not as good as what they are already doing.
            I fail to see how an inconsistent return policy is better than a consignment process...which could include their already existent semi-exchange program.

            Their return policy isn't really a policy...it's a suggestion at best.

            Comment


              #81
              Originally posted by sub150 View Post
              Their return policy isn't really a policy...it's a suggestion at best.
              This. Yeah, you'll get your money back or a store credit, but it's not exactly ideal..

              Comment


                #82
                Originally posted by mcadamsandwich View Post
                This. Yeah, you'll get your money back or a store credit, but it's not exactly ideal..
                I guess the alternative is something like Bonobos which has a truly exemplary return policy, but I can't afford any of their stuff until it goes on sale. For comparison sake I'll tell you my Bonobos jeans story: I bought a pair of their jeans when they were on sale with a 30% discount code on the sale section. I recieved them the next day. I was not entirely happy with the jeans, neither the fit nor the wash were to my liking, but they were a bargain, so I tried to make them work. When I finally realized i just didn't like wearing them, and the fit problem had gotten worse as the jeans stretched out, I was able to take advantage of their ridiculously good return policy. Since the jeans I bought on sale were no longer available in my size, and the fit on their jeans really doesn't work for me (loose in the waist, but fit fine everywhere else) I got a pair of their excellent chinos. In spite of exchanging several emails with their excellent customer service to figure out fit before ordering, it took 3 tries to get the right size. Shipping was always fast, customer service was exemplary but as you can imagine that took a while. I'm very happy with my bonobos chinos and will do business with them again, but I probably won't buy their jeans, because comparable jeans from Bonobos cost twice as much and don't fit me well.

                Using the fit guide from Gustin and measuring my best fitting jeans I was able to get a great fit on the first try. I had to wait 2 months to get them, and if they didn't fit I'd have had to wait again, but I took that risk, because the product they offer is not something I can afford under the traditional retail model. If you want them now, and you want easy exchanges, similar jeans are out there at twice the price or more. You can go into a store and try them on, or you can order them and send them back if they don't fit, but you'll pay more for that convenience. Gustin's customer service has always been great, in particular they have been very helpful to me in finding the right fabric and fit for my needs, always been very responsive, and when I had problems they took care of them. I haven't had to test their return policy, but unless you've tested it you really can't judge it bad. If you have a problem with your jeans, even if the problem is that you failed to measure before ordering, you should really contact them directly, give them a chance to help you. From the anecdotes I've heard it sounds like they try hard to mitigate the problems inherent in the crowd sourcing model.

                If you have a need for speed, look elsewhere, but if you want these jeans at this price, and are able to have some patience (and really patience is the name of the game for bargain hunters), I think Gustin is doing it right.

                Comment


                  #83
                  They have a new one they released today that look very interesting. They named it the 1776 due to the red, white, and blue selvage ID. I'm tempted to maybe try this one out.
                  https://weargustin.com/store/129

                  Comment


                    #84
                    They updated the Jade page with a new comparison photo against what looks like a standard indigo pair. (Side note: Gustin *really* needs to learn to take better photos of the denim. Even these aren't exactly great.)

                    Comment


                      #85
                      Originally posted by jbg89 View Post
                      Wow im glad you took that, is the Jade on the left? It almost looks prefaded....
                      Yeah, it's a patch of the Jade laying on top of a sheet of indigo. I think the lighting is off, which is why it looks faded or grey.

                      Comment


                        #86
                        Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                        They have a new one they released today that look very interesting. They named it the 1776 due to the red, white, and blue selvage ID. I'm tempted to maybe try this one out.
                        https://weargustin.com/store/129
                        I'm digging the 1776. I'm tempted to get it, though I did just back the Heavy American.

                        Comment


                          #87
                          The 1776 is pretty cool... I'm looking to order a classic indigo in Slim Fit, since I already have a number of interesting denims in Straight Fit (Organic, Super Heavy, Slate and Natural), as well as some non-Gustin straight fit selvedge in indigo. I figured the Heavy Americans were a bit too heavy (not looking for a major break-in commitment - I know this almost defeats the purpose of going raw/selvedge!), while the 1776 may just fit the bill... Decisions!
                          Last edited by Jamie; August 14, 2013, 06:27 PM.

                          Comment


                            #88
                            Originally posted by Jamie View Post
                            The 1776 is pretty cool... I'm looking to order a classic indigo in Slim Fit, since I already have a number of interesting denims in Straight Fit (Organic, Super Heavy, Slate and Natural), as well as some non-Gustin straight fit selvedge in indigo. I figured the Heavy Americans were a bit too heavy (not looking for a major break-in commitment - I know this almost defeats the purpose of going raw/selvedge!), while the 1776 may just fit the bill... Decisions!
                            Jamie - you should really go for the Heavys. I have ones on order. I do have one heavy pair (16er), which are actually my favorites.

                            Comment


                              #89
                              I was curious if anyone who has received their pair can speak to the fading of the denim. Part of the fun with raw denim is developing those of one of a kind fades. I know it takes time and a lot of wear, but wanted to see if any of the initial buyers can comment to their progress.
                              Referral : https://weargustin.com/invite_from/6726

                              Comment


                                #90
                                Nlittleton, I have a pair of The Organics that I've had since April, I think (from Kickstarter campaign). I can see signs of fading (a really bright blue is starting to show through) but I only have the opportunity to wear them from Friday to Sunday or after work. And summer where I live is typically too hot to wear 14oz jeans, so while they're 3 months old, they've probably only seen a few weeks worth of wear! However, because Gustin offered so many varieties of denim fabric (different weights, different mills, etc.) I'm not sure you'll get a consistent answer as to how Gustin's fade in general. Everyone's experience will probably vary somewhat. Hopefully you'll hear from Mattface since I think he's been able to wear his on a more consistent basis, so can probably comment on his fades...

                                Personally I'm looking forward to cooler temps so I can start wearing these more often!

                                Oh yeah, and I ended up backing the 1776. They're not quite the classic indigo I was thinking of getting, but they're pretty darned cool looking. These will be my first pair in the Slim Fit.
                                Last edited by Jamie; August 14, 2013, 11:06 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X