Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gustin Jeans Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    @mattface-- This would actually be my first pair of Gustins. I just figuredI'd ask you because you're active in this thread and have several pairs from them. I also like the idea of having a heavier pair of denim to wear during the winter now that I'm living in the Midwest. Which leads me to my next question. How heavy is 16oz denim compared to, say, a typical pair of Levi's or some other readily available denim? The only "premium" denim I have are two pairs of Gap Selvedge, which I scored for ~$30 each.
    Countryside Man of Letters

    Comment


      Love the way those Heavy Americans look, mattface! I haven't washed mine yet, but my usage patterns haven't produced as much fade/contrast as yours. I'm definitely jealous of all that "electric blue" you've got going on. The creases surprise me because I can't always see them, but then the light hits the jeans just right and bam--unique creasing all over the place. I'll try to post photos this week, plus the Cone Pima Fire's I'm receiving today or tomorrow. I love my Gustin's. Hopefully I don't encounter any sizing issues with the new pair, as a few folk have been posting.

      Comment


        Originally posted by MarkB View Post
        @mattface-- This would actually be my first pair of Gustins. I just figuredI'd ask you because you're active in this thread and have several pairs from them. I also like the idea of having a heavier pair of denim to wear during the winter now that I'm living in the Midwest. Which leads me to my next question. How heavy is 16oz denim compared to, say, a typical pair of Levi's or some other readily available denim? The only "premium" denim I have are two pairs of Gap Selvedge, which I scored for ~$30 each.
        Most Levis 501 are around 12.5 oz. You might not notice the difference between 12.5, and say 13.5 so much, but raw denim will tend to be stiffer at any weight. My 16.5 oz Heavy americans are noticeably thicker and stiffer then my 13.5 oz Classics even after a few months wear on both.

        Comment


          I received my Gustin Loomstate jeans Monday, and I ordered two sizes up (34 vs usually 32 in Gustin). I hope these work, because they fit as is - the waist is about identical to my new 32s, but these are shrink to fit! I know they'll stretch out, but I don't want these to be skin tight... I'm a bit concerned about Gustin's sewing and quality control lately - the last two pairs I've received have not matched the fit guide. What's the point of a Fit Guide if the measurement of the actual item don't match up? I was really excited for these ones too...

          Comment


            Originally posted by Jamie View Post
            I received my Gustin Loomstate jeans Monday, and I ordered two sizes up (34 vs usually 32 in Gustin). I hope these work, because they fit as is - the waist is about identical to my new 32s, but these are shrink to fit! I know they'll stretch out, but I don't want these to be skin tight... I'm a bit concerned about Gustin's sewing and quality control lately - the last two pairs I've received have not matched the fit guide. What's the point of a Fit Guide if the measurement of the actual item don't match up? I was really excited for these ones too...
            They used the standard sewing pattern for those, but they didn't account for the fact that loomstate tends to stretch as it goes through the machine, so it sewed more of a "stretched 35" waist, which of course then "unstretched" and left you with 33 inches. Loomstate is notoriously unpredictable and that's why Gustin won't take returns for any reason, even though they screwed up basically every single pair of loomstate. Most people are just reselling their pairs; you could soak them then dry them with either a waistband stretcher in them, soak them while wearing them in the bathtub, or put them on a hanger while they dry in such a way that they can't shrink, but there's no getting around that you HAVE to soak them.

            That being said, loomstate denim is incredibly gorgeous and worthwhile imo; I just picked up a pair of SG1109s.

            Comment


              Originally posted by Mikey View Post
              They used the standard sewing pattern for those, but they didn't account for the fact that loomstate tends to stretch as it goes through the machine, so it sewed more of a "stretched 35" waist, which of course then "unstretched" and left you with 33 inches. Loomstate is notoriously unpredictable and that's why Gustin won't take returns for any reason, even though they screwed up basically every single pair of loomstate. Most people are just reselling their pairs; you could soak them then dry them with either a waistband stretcher in them, soak them while wearing them in the bathtub, or put them on a hanger while they dry in such a way that they can't shrink, but there's no getting around that you HAVE to soak them.
              I sized up 2 sizes and mine came in 2 sizes smaller, which seems to be the norm. I think folks that sized up 3 sizes probably fared better. A lot of folks seem to be having success shrinking them with something in the waistband to prevent shrinkage in that dimension, I was lucky enough to be able to exchange mine for a pair one size larger, so I won't have them for a couple of days, but I'm looking forward to shrinking them up, and hopefully getting that elusive perfect fit.

              THis IS a very special and unique fabric, and given the difficulty with the first run, I doubt there will ever be a second, so they'll also probably be quite rare.

              Comment


                Originally posted by mattface View Post
                Heavy Americans have about 3 months on them and got their second wash last night, and I gotta say I'm really happy with how they are fading, especially the electric blue creases. This heavy Cone denim is really nice stuff.


                Nice -----* dude!


                *in deference to certain sensitivities, I will no longer say that word here.


                But it starts with an 'f" and ends with a "z"!

                Comment


                  Originally posted by mattface View Post
                  THis IS a very special and unique fabric, and given the difficulty with the first run, I doubt there will ever be a second, so they'll also probably be quite rare.
                  I wouldn't bet against that. Loomstate came about because /r/rawdenim kept asking for it, and I'm sure if there's enough demand they'll do it and modify the sewing pattern this time.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by mattface View Post
                    Heavy Americans have about 3 months on them and got their second wash last night, and I gotta say I'm really happy with how they are fading, especially the electric blue creases. This heavy Cone denim is really nice stuff.

                    I don't understand how you get these fades. Do you literally wear these every single day for three months? I wore mine probably twice a week on average for six months and got nothing visible except at fringes (pockets and fly).

                    I have enough pairs from Gustin now and no credit so I think I'm done and will just be seeing how my current pairs age (Original, Light Lefthand, Jade, Slate, Rainbow Nep, and Japan Classic). Now if the fifteen to twenty people that signed up with my link when I first got it in July made purchases.... I still wonder if I'll get $5 or $20 from those since they all signed up during the $20 period.
                    Measurements: 6'2", 173 lbs, 16" neck, 35/36" sleeve, 42" chest, 32" waist, 33.5" inseam

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Xeones25 View Post
                      I don't understand how you get these fades. Do you literally wear these every single day for three months? I wore mine probably twice a week on average for six months and got nothing visible except at fringes (pockets and fly).
                      Not every single day, but close to it. I have been wearing these probably 5-6 days a week since I received them. I mean I've got a few other pairs of jeans that get switched in from time to time for one reason or another, and I've worn khakis and dress pants on occasion, but for most of that time I've been wearing these.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Xeones25 View Post
                        I don't understand how you get these fades. Do you literally wear these every single day for three months? I wore mine probably twice a week on average for six months and got nothing visible except at fringes (pockets and fly).
                        Also, heavier denim fades faster (it also depends on the type of fabric, uniformity, etc, but in general heavier denim means heavier threads which means more internal friction from threads rubbing each other which means faster fades). Case in point: Most pairs of UB121 I've seen are faded even more than that in about a month.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Mikey View Post
                          Also, heavier denim fades faster (it also depends on the type of fabric, uniformity, etc, but in general heavier denim means heavier threads which means more internal friction from threads rubbing each other which means faster fades). Case in point: Most pairs of UB121 I've seen are faded even more than that in about a month.
                          Yes, these are the most dramatic fades I've ever gotten in such a short time and it's also the heaviest denim I've ever owned. I expect the weight and stiffness of the fabric has something to do with that.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Xeones25 View Post
                            I have enough pairs from Gustin now and no credit so I think I'm done and will just be seeing how my current pairs age (Original, Light Lefthand, Jade, Slate, Rainbow Nep, and Japan Classic). Now if the fifteen to twenty people that signed up with my link when I first got it in July made purchases.... I still wonder if I'll get $5 or $20 from those since they all signed up during the $20 period.
                            I take that back. I have $5 credit. So confirmed that for people that signed up during the $20 period you get the current amount ($5).
                            Measurements: 6'2", 173 lbs, 16" neck, 35/36" sleeve, 42" chest, 32" waist, 33.5" inseam

                            Comment


                              Cone Pima Fire's delivered today. My only other pair to compare with are my Heavy American's, and the two jeans are quite different. Love the texture, flexibility, and softness of the CPF's. The HA's came out of the bag feeling like canvas, and the pocket stitching chafed and was abrasive. These are far softer and easier to move in than the lengthy HA break in period. In fact--and I don't know if this has to do with the reports of sizing issues with Gustin lately, or just the comparison of very different denim weights (12.5oz vs 16.5oz), but the CPF's fit me dramatically better out of the package. They slipped on like a glove and only required a bit of hopping to get the last two buttons secured. The HA's were first two buttons ONLY for the first hour or two and then the other two over the next day. Huge difference in fit. CPF's are the most well-fitting, most comfortable jeans I've ever had. Will take photos soon.

                              EDIT: Photos! http://imgur.com/a/6dbhW#0

                              New CPF's next to three month-old AH's. The AH's were worn at least twice a week, usually more.
                              Last edited by natenotdrake; January 16, 2014, 07:53 PM. Reason: Inserting photo magic.

                              Comment


                                ^ Nice! I see your Pimas came with the thicker, much nicer leather patch as well.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X