No announcement yet.

Gustin Jeans Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree. He's posted his referral link 3 times on this page so far and 7 times overall in this forum. His 1 other post in case anyone was wondering was a Bonobos link.

Mods - is there anything you can do about this? I don't see how this form of spamming is any different than a spam bot that posts links to fake sneakers in our forums.

Comment

I got 2 pair of the straights and I am hoping they are slim enough. After seeing some pictures I am starting to wonder. Has anyone worked with them on a return/exchange before?

Comment

Originally posted by Xeones25 View Post
        I got my pair in the beginning of June. Haven't washed them yet and wear them pretty frequently. Thinking about it though, I really don't wash any of my pants unless they get noticeably dirty or I sweat a lot in them. I'll probably go another month before I give them a wash. I should be getting a pair of Rainbow Nep in sometime this month.

I have noticed that in the high stress areas the indigo has bled into the inside of the pants so I figure I'll see some fading there when I do finally wash them.

I put in an order for the Jade ones. The color was too interesting to pass up. Plus I see it as a way to try out straight fit (though I really like the slim fit).

Speaking of bleeding, I've noticed some sites mention that the indigo (not just Gustin, but any selvage) can bleed out onto things like your couch, car, etc. when you first receive them. Any truth to this/ways to prevent?

Comment

Originally posted by Ragu View Post
          Speaking of bleeding, I've noticed some sites mention that the indigo (not just Gustin, but any selvage) can bleed out onto things like your couch, car, etc. when you first receive them. Any truth to this/ways to prevent?
          Raw denim can definitely bleed. It seem to me that some denims bleed worse than others. I had a pair of Gap raw denim that bled a lot, rubbed off on other clothing, bike seats, etc, turned my legs blue every time they got damp. My Gustin Classics by contrast were quite colorfast. they bled a little onto light colored T-shirts and undies. I got soaked riding my bike in the rain the other night, and indigo did rub onto my Brooks honey colored leather saddle, but it needed treating with beeswax and olive oil after that ride, like any soaking rain, and that took care of the indigo transfer. Never had anything cause a problem with my suede bucks, but I wear them cuffed.

Anyway it really depends upon the specific denim used, and I can only speak with experience about the Classic denim which did not bleed much. I have heard reports of other denims that do. If your pair do bleed a lot and it's a problem for you, it really is not the end of the world to do an initial wash.

Also my sofa is brown. If you have any white furniture, you might need to lay down a towel or something.
          Last edited by mattface; August 7, 2013, 10:14 AM.

Comment

My pair of Originals haven't had much of an issue with bleeding. The only thing I noticed was the pockets made my hands a little blue the first two times I wore them. Nothing I've sat on has ever picked up any indigo. I think my tan suede shoes picked up a miniscule amount after one wear, but I don't cuff mine (first few times I did and never had any transfer to shoes).

If you are really worried about transfer sit on a towel that you don't care about like mattface said.
            Measurements: 6'2", 173 lbs, 16" neck, 35/36" sleeve, 42" chest, 32" waist, 33.5" inseam

Comment

Originally posted by Xeones25 View Post
              My pair of Originals haven't had much of an issue with bleeding. The only thing I noticed was the pockets made my hands a little blue the first two times I wore them. Nothing I've sat on has ever picked up any indigo. I think my tan suede shoes picked up a miniscule amount after one wear, but I don't cuff mine (first few times I did and never had any transfer to shoes).

If you are really worried about transfer sit on a towel that you don't care about like mattface said.
              What if I care about all my towels?

I picked up the Japan Classic, so looks like I shouldn't have an issue. Only worried because of the new white couch the wife really wanted that arrived over the weekend. Get dye on that -- guess I wouldn't be allowed to sleep on the couch, so does that mean camping in the backyard?

Comment

What if I care about all my towels?

I picked up the Japan Classic, so looks like I shouldn't have an issue. Only worried because of the new white couch the wife really wanted that arrived over the weekend. Get dye on that -- guess I wouldn't be allowed to sleep on the couch, so does that mean camping in the backyard?
                Yeah you're going to want to steer well clear of the new white couch for a while. In your case I would also recommend an initial wash just to be on the safe side. Better to sacrifice a tiny bit of indigo from the new jeans then risk incurring the wrath a woman you intend to live with for the rest of your life, and I assume the couch will outlast the jeans too.

Comment

I picked up the Japan Classic, so looks like I shouldn't have an issue.
                  I picked that one up too. I don't know much about denim but that one was selling like hotcakes so I figured it must be a good one. My Sixteener should be delivered today so I can see how the fit is and try to adjust the Japan Classic if I have to.

Comment

Damnit, now I feel like I should have gotten slate. Damn my indecisiveness!
                    5'8" 155 lbs 39" chest 33" sleeves 33" waist

Comment

Originally posted by Redford View Post
                      Damnit, now I feel like I should have gotten slate. Damn my indecisiveness!
                      Those seemed really popular as well. The ones I kind of wish I had gotten was 'the natural'. Oh well.

I posted a review on my 1st pair that I received today here - http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...w-Gustin-Jeans

Comment

Also, I just wanted to throw in my two cents based on my experience so far.

Sizing - stick with your true size. Yes, raw denim can stretch up to an 1", but all of my pairs (6+) have started out really tight and have eased in slowly. The lighter weights and less dense cotton has stretched easier than the heavy weights. Kinda wish I went TTS on heavier weights, rather than compensating for the 1" stretch.

Cut - Having a mix of straight and slim cuts, your choice really depends on what you plan to wear them with. Boots and larger sneakers look much better with the straight cut, which is still fitted from the waist down to the knee and then is straight cut from the knee to the opening (no taper). Thinner sneakers like Vans, Chucks, and other footwear like flip flops are cleaner with the slim fit. My advice is to reserve the slim cuts for the lighter weight/less dense cotton. I have the Heavy American in slim cut and they still feel like I'm wearing cardboard-saran wrap.

Construction - Incredible quality made to last. The finer details like indestructible buttons and the half-lined back pockets go a long way in making each pair feel substantial. One favorite feature of mine is the red/gold chainstitching (except where tonal threading is used). I'm just sad that my short @$$ legs make me look like a clown when only folding the 34 inseam once. For their jeans (twill excluded), I have found the starch to be quite heavy. Not a fan honestly, so I do a pre-soak to get most of it out. You don't need to do this, and a pre-soak won't shrink it by much (will actually help the denim set into place). I would also recommend a pre-soak before getting jeans hemmed to account for the extra slight shrink setting.

Pockets - On pledges with Ship times for July and after, Gustin started using deeper pockets which are a HUGE improvement. Most of my pairs have the smaller pockets, and while manageable, the deeper pockets make sitting down a lot more comfortable.

Wait time - Just order what you like and forget about it. Saves you the headache of impatience. Or find someone on the community board or here in the Dappered threads reselling for a MUCH less wait time.
                        Last edited by rayguy24; August 8, 2013, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Interesting to see how far the invite #s have gotten (6500+). My number is 22, so I guess that makes me an old timer with Gustin haha. It also gives my referral code $5 more credit too . Can you believe it used to be $40 when the invite codes first launched too!

Comment

I've been reading up on Gustin the last month or so - everything from fromsqualortoballer.com, weftyandmash.com, thesilentist.com - but was still too nervous about the fit to take the plunge. Then I came here from the review on Dappered and was really glad for the fit pics and info.
                            I was still on the fence until I saw the referral links and used one to register on July 28. The $20 off help me justify taking the plunge (and measuring my jeans more times than I can count). So thanks to whoever's link I used.
                            I went for the slim Japanese classic. I don't normally wear slims but I'm looking for a change from the shrink to fit 501 fit, which is looser in the hips than I'd like. Hopefully, the fit will work out even though I know I'll be doing a bit of cuffing or hemming (usually wear a 30 inseam).
                            Last edited by bruschetta; August 24, 2013, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49
                              Ummmm . . . these guys are all much lower than you and are claiming $20, yet your number is much higher but you're claiming to be an 'old-timer who can get them $25 credit'. Are you really so desperate for someone to click on your link that you're resorting to lying now?

Mods - Can you please do something about this. His referral code appears 6 times on this page so he's already spamming this thread and now he's lying to boot.
                              Yeah, mine is #1610 and it was $20. He's also said $20 in all his previous postings.
                              Measurements: 6'2", 173 lbs, 16" neck, 35/36" sleeve, 42" chest, 32" waist, 33.5" inseam

Comment

Originally posted by boldface View Post
                                I've been reading up on Gustin the last month or so - everything from fromsqualortoballer.com, weftyandmash.com, thesilentist.com - but was still too nervous about the fit to take the plunge. Then I came here from the review on Dappered and was really glad for the fit pics and info.
                                I was still on the fence until I saw the referral links and used one to register on July 28. The $20 off help me justify taking the plunge (and measuring my jeans more times than I can count). So thanks to whoever's link I used.
                                I went for the slim Japanese classic. I don't normally wear slims but I'm looking for a change from the shrink to fit 501 fit, which is looser in the hips than I'd like. Hopefully, the fit will work out even though I know I'll be doing a bit of cuffing or hemming (usually wear a 30 inseam).
                                Yeah, I started the thread to help people with questions about fit and whatnot since there really wasn't much out there. The $20 off also really helps with the initial plunge. Easier to justify $60 on pants than $80.

I'm glad the thread has helped you out. I think you'll really like the jeans. Mine are slim fit and I really like the fit. I have straight fit coming in next month that I'll post more pictures of (as well as the Rainbow Nep slim fit I should be getting in this month).
                                It might have been my referral link (used to be in my initial post, had it removed just the other day so other people's links get used more) since I've got one person in my referral list from July 28, in which case thanks.
                                Last edited by bruschetta; August 24, 2013, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X