Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brent k
    replied
    Ive said it a few times I'm done with them. I've had a ton of issues and they used to really make sure they were taken care of. Credits, other items etc. I haven't ordered anything for a while from Gustin and have credit left. Spent some on the herringbone chinos and who knows what else.

I'm not impressed with recent offerings at all. Hopefully they will turn around. The key rings, CPO, city coat, scarfs all do nothing for me.

Leave a comment:

• Vicious49
    replied
    I'm most likely done with Gustin. They've been steadily increasing prices, they're branching out in to too many things now where the quality control is starting to suffer, and they have cut off credits to people for invites. Supposedly there's small print somewhere that says the credits are capped at $200. I exceeded that over a year ago when they were handing out $20 credits instead of $5 but they've decided to start enforcing this unknown policy in the last few months.

Leave a comment:

• Scofield
    replied
    Thoughts on the new italiancdrnim/cashmere? Sounds luxurious but at 175....

Leave a comment:

• Mikey
    replied
    Originally posted by Murph65 View Post
    Perfect! What about the oft-seen advice to use vinegar and/or salt to set the dye? If they're to be used - how much? And how much water?

Am I overthinking?
    I've heard a cup of vinegar per tub. Bear in mind that tub size varies. Also bear in mind that this is to prevent fades; if done regularly your jeans should never fade; it's for those that want to preserve the dark, dressy look.

Also, never, ever put your raws in a washing machine with any sort of spin cycle. Worst comes to worst, hand wash and spot clean. Washing machine spin cycles causes these weird creases which lead to weird fades which look awful and completely ruin a pair. Don't do it.

Honestly, there is no reason to do anything before hemming Gustins (unless they are the loomstate, or other unsanf). Gustins are sanforized. They will not shrink when you wash them, and you should not soak them when you first start wearing them, because that retards the fading process. Ideally, they wouldn't touch water for the first six months. Whenever you do wash them, use cold (hot can cause VERY minor shrinkage, but generally even that will be a nonfactor), and you'll be fine. I don't see why people say "wait to see how much they shrink to get them hemmed!" because sanforized jeans don't shrink on soak, and you shouldn't soak them at the beginning, so unless you want to wait six months to get them hemmed, you should just do it right away.

Leave a comment:

• mcadamsandwich
    replied
    Originally posted by Brent k View Post
    I do not wash before hemming. I leave them a wee bit longer 40" out seam to adjust for shrinkage over the jeans life.
    For sanforized I think this is ok. If you choose to go unsanforized, shrink first.

Leave a comment:

• mcadamsandwich
    replied
    No salt or vinegar. Just wear em.

Leave a comment:

• Murph65
    replied
    Originally posted by mcadamsandwich View Post
    The Heavy Americans are sanforized denim (pre-shrunk), so don't expect a lot to change with a wash. However, you can wash them to remove loose dye, starch, and to get that extra 1% shrink:

1. Turn the pants inside out; this helps prevent excessive dye loss.
    2. Wash them by hand in the tub or in a washing machine with low agitation (hand wash setting).
    3. Use cold/room temp water for a normal wash or hot water for maximum shrink.
    4. If you want to use a detergent (no reason to at this moment), use Woolite Dark to maintain color.
    5. Hang dry the jeans.

• Do not wear your jeans in the tub. This "method" will cause bags to form around your knees, which look weird.
    • Do not wash your jeans with any other garments.
    • Do not dry your jeans in the dryer. This is how your jeans get crumpled, which causes weird fade lines to appear that don't line up with your body.
    • For "syck fadez", wear them constantly and wash them rarely.
    • For "normal dude fades", wash them whenever they get dirty/smelly.

The best fades are the ones you're not trying to get. Just wear them as much as possible and your life will leave it's imprint. Wabi sabi.
    Perfect! What about the oft-seen advice to use vinegar and/or salt to set the dye? If they're to be used - how much? And how much water?

Am I overthinking?

Leave a comment:

• Murph65
    replied
    Thanks very much gentlemen. That is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for!

Leave a comment:

• Brent k
    replied
    I do not wash before hemming. I leave them a wee bit longer 40" out seam to adjust for shrinkage over the jeans life.

Leave a comment:

• Vicious49
    replied
    Originally posted by mcadamsandwich View Post
    The best fades are the ones you're not trying to get. Just wear them as much as possible and your life will leave it's imprint. Wabi sabi.
    This is true. I think it also depends on the jeans. My 1776 are getting fades where my cell phone is always in my pocket and some other areas whereas my Japan Standards aren't getting any. I wash and wear them pretty much the same but got different results.

Leave a comment:

• mcadamsandwich
    replied
    Originally posted by Murph65 View Post
    Is it an either/or proposition?

If I do the cold water/vinegar set I won't get the "sick fadez"? ;-)

If I want the "sick fadez", I have to live with dye rubbing off on everything?
    The Heavy Americans are sanforized denim (pre-shrunk), so don't expect a lot to change with a wash. However, you can wash them to remove loose dye, starch, and to get that extra 1% shrink:

1. Turn the pants inside out; this helps prevent excessive dye loss.
    2. Wash them by hand in the tub or in a washing machine with low agitation (hand wash setting).
    3. Use cold/room temp water for a normal wash or hot water for maximum shrink.
    4. If you want to use a detergent (no reason to at this moment), use Woolite Dark to maintain color.
    5. Hang dry the jeans.

• Do not wear your jeans in the tub. This "method" will cause bags to form around your knees, which look weird.
    • Do not wash your jeans with any other garments.
    • Do not dry your jeans in the dryer. This is how your jeans get crumpled, which causes weird fade lines to appear that don't line up with your body.
    • For "syck fadez", wear them constantly and wash them rarely.
    • For "normal dude fades", wash them whenever they get dirty/smelly.

Leave a comment:

• Murph65
    replied
    Is it an either/or proposition?

If I do the cold water/vinegar set I won't get the "sick fadez"? ;-)

If I want the "sick fadez", I have to live with dye rubbing off on everything?

Leave a comment:

• Vicious49
    replied
    I don't know how correct this is but I wash mine as soon as I receive them in the washing machine with cold water. I've tossed mine in the dryer too. Denimheads will tell you you shouldn't do this if you want the fades, creasing, etc. but I don't care much about that so it works for me.

Leave a comment:

• Murph65
    replied
    Wanted to wear my new Gustin Heavy American's today and they're way too long (like 5 inches) so I just rolled them under. Of course, they've already started to bleed onto my tan suede chukkas. Doh!

As much as I wish I had the time to read the 94 pages of this thread, can anyone give me the specific, detailed steps to break them in/shrink them before I get them hemmed? Or point me to a site that lays it out in simple steps.

Looking for as much specificity as I can get. Thanks in advance!

Leave a comment:

• andrewlcraft
    replied
    Just backed the Hickory Stripe 2 work shirt. Can't wait for November now!

My wife loves this style of shirt on me, much more so than my usual "dappered" look. Memories of when I used to turn wrenches when we first got together. She will love it, as long as she never knows the price =). And I will love it because of all the fashion nerd details =)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X