No announcement yet.

Gustin Jeans Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ordered a paid of the #64 Japan Classic using Jamie's referral. Excited to get my first pair!

How do we get our own referral code?

Comment

i also went in on the #64 as my first order. i went with a 30" slim, usually a 30 in 511's and 29 in gap/br pants.

the fit guide made me really neurotic. i measured everything i had, thought 31" would be good, until i realized their 31 was really 31.5", then settled on ordering the 30. derp

Comment

Originally posted by Ragu View Post
        Ordered a paid of the #64 Japan Classic using Jamie's referral. Excited to get my first pair!

How do we get our own referral code?
        I got an email a couple days ago after ordering jeans about 2-3 weeks ago. Sept arrival...can't wait. I went 29 regular (29.5" waist). Hoping they stretch out to a 30.5-31 waist. At 30 would have been a 30.5 " waist which would stretch to 31.5" which is to big.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragu View Post
          So when doing research and looking at fades from different denim companies, I noticed that not many had commented on or shown pictures of how Gustin's break in for fading. Is it just because they have not been out that long? I'm curious to see how they turn out after a few months.
          I think it's largely because they have only been shipping a few months, scarecly long enough for most folks to have experienced much fading at all, but there are some pictures about of Josh Gustin's #1 pair, as well as some fade comparisons. the last newsletter contained a comparison of 1 year, 3 years and new.

My pair are already starting to show some fading after 2 months of steady wear, particularly at the pocket seams, yoke seam, and center belt loop. I will try to post some pics soon.
          Last edited by bruschetta; August 24, 2013, 06:16 PM.

Comment

I managed to wait about a month to wash mine the first time, then I wore them in the ocean, and hand washed them to get the brine out. Since then I've been washing them once every week or so. The general idea is to wash them as little as possible to avoid washing out the indigo before it wears off the high spots resulting in higher contrast fades. That's well and dandy, but all this pseudo denim religion about not washing for 6 months or more goes too far for me.

I feel like the whole idea of getting natural fades is to live in your jeans the way you normally live, and in my daily life I get dirty, and I wash my jeans when they are dirty. If you can go 6 months without getting your jeans disgustingly dirty, more power to you, but if your jeans are dirty, you should wash them.

Comment

Originally posted by Switchhitter
              Have you guys washed yours at all? I have three pair right now (two straight and one slim) and I haven't put them into the washing machine yet. At the Gustin site, "they" say that you shouldn't wash them for the first six months. Now, they don't state is that based on time period for getting a great fade - or if it's just how often you wear them..... I don't know.

Mine all still look pretty new, I do have a tendency to like the heavier denim weight - and I've ordered a pair of the heaviest ones (#17 Super Heavy for $99..$79 with a referral) that they have made available to-date (18oz). I'm also loving the slim more than the straight (unfortunately I have more straights coming). I'm debating about ordering the Jade selvedge that just popped up on their site yesterday. I like the idea of a slight greenish tinge to stand out from the crowd. Finally, I love that I can now cuff up my denims At least for lean guys, these Gustins are really sick. They fit well and love the quality and story behind the fabrics.

And of course their denims go AWESOME with either Red Wing Beckmans or Wolverine 1K boots. And their pitch is that they are crowdsourced and at wholesale prices (which I believe they are close to that).
              I've washed mine a few times, average of once every 6 weeks since they're getting worn a good amount. I soaked them in water / vinegar mix to set the dye the first time I washed and am now mixing in a 1/2 cup of vinegar with very little detergent for subsequent washes. By doing this, I find the fading to be very minimal on my end, in fact, my Originals are still very, very dark. I can throw some pics up if people want to see.
              Last edited by bruschetta; August 24, 2013, 06:16 PM.

Comment

@Readytogo, I'd appreciate some photos! I may have to try the vinegar method myself, though I have never heard of that before.

@all, can't you avoid the dye coming off during the wash by washing them inside out? I know apparently getting proper fading is important, but I'm not very interested in that, and I'd rather keep them solid and dark for as long as possible. Is this sacrilegious for raw denim or something?

Comment

Here are some photos (from left to right: Super Light, Organic, Original, Original)--the lighting in my apartment's a bit wonky, but I want to highlight the two pairs on the right. They are both Originals, the one on the left has been washed only twice and the other one has been washed about 5 times. You can definitely see the fade / color difference, but I can subjectively say that in-person, the contrast doesn't look as pronounced.

http://s9.postimg.org/udwm6v6kf/photo_1.jpg
                  http://s9.postimg.org/fj80sowzj/photo_2.jpg
                  http://s9.postimg.org/z2cm21vr3/photo_3.jpg

The last two images are the two Originals laid over each other for contrast purposes.

Comment

Washing inside out helps, but some indigo will be washed out with each wash. They will fade over time with wear and washing no matter what, if you don't want them to fade, you may want to dry clean them, and keep them as special occasion pants.

To me that is a bit sacrilegious, as I feel jeans are work garments, meant to be worn and not babied. If I can't get them dirty, wear them to work on bikes, wear them in the rain snow, mud, etc, then they're not jeans, they're dress pants. I do understand wanting a crisp dark blue pair to wear with a nice outfit. My way of dealing with that is just to wear my newest pair with the dressier outfits.

But if you have a favorite pair and you want to keep them pristine, there is really nothing wrong with that. It's actually very cool, it's just not very me. If I could do that I might have bought a pair of the Naturals, which i really did covet, but feared I would ruin them in a mater of days.

Comment

I got my pair in the beginning of June. Haven't washed them yet and wear them pretty frequently. Thinking about it though, I really don't wash any of my pants unless they get noticeably dirty or I sweat a lot in them. I'll probably go another month before I give them a wash. I should be getting a pair of Rainbow Nep in sometime this month.

I have noticed that in the high stress areas the indigo has bled into the inside of the pants so I figure I'll see some fading there when I do finally wash them.

I put in an order for the Jade ones. The color was too interesting to pass up. Plus I see it as a way to try out straight fit (though I really like the slim fit).
                      Measurements: 6'2", 173 lbs, 16" neck, 35/36" sleeve, 42" chest, 32" waist, 33.5" inseam

Comment

@Trueflame, I think the high contrast fades tend to come mostly from wear rather than the washing machine (which is why some people go so long between washes). Based on the pictures I've seen people post of Gustin denim a few months in, they seem to have a more slow/understated fade than Nudies/N&F/Baldwin etc, so I think you'll be okay.

That being said, if you really don't want any fading at all then raw denim may not be the best option for you. Raws are basically meant to fade, that's one of the main things that sets them apart. You can find other high quality jeans with heavy weight denim/good fit/quality finishing etc. that won't fade if that's what you want.
                        Last edited by bruschetta; August 24, 2013, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Gustin vs. Naked and Famous - any comparisons from y'all? A local store is selling N&F jeans in a standard dark rinse for $81. Not sure which is better.

Comment

N&F is probably slightly better quality. It's definitely better established so they've had time to perfect the product while Gustin's still kind of getting started. IIRC Gustin's return policy is also not great and since you can't try those on first, it's a bit of a risk. If the N&F fit well I'd go with those, unless you have enough store credit to make the gustins significantly cheaper.

Comment

Naked & Famous make some nice looking jeans, but from looking at their website it looks to me like they come in 3 fits. skinny, skinnier, and skinniest. none of those fits would work for me. if they were selling someplace locally for $81, i would difinitely try some on. i doubt they are significantly better than Gustin, but if they are as good and fit as well or better, definitely a bargain at $81.

Comment

Actually I didn't notice, because I wasn't really paying attention, but now that you mention it. I'm not sure if it's technically against the rules, but even if it is not there is something extremely sleazy about joining a forum & ONLY posting referral codes.

Comment

Working...
                                X