Gustin Jeans Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fey View Post
    any fit recommendations, for the slim cut jeans?

i wear 30x30 levi's 511 (they feel a little on the tight side), 29x30 docker alphas (perfectly), 29x30 gap lived in slim chinos (tight also). i also have a proportionally larger thighs and calves relative to my waist size, so they tend to be tight while my waist might be loose.
    I found mine are pretty true to size. Tighter than D1's and BR slim fit. If I had to take a stab at it I'd guess 30 since that's what you wear with Levi and the thighs do lean tight compared to my other pants. Definitely check out the fit guide that bjmcgeever linked to.

sub150: My pair did take a bit to break in, but I don't think it's as bad as you're thinking it will be. Mine were nice on the second wear. Just the first wear was a struggle. My pair is 12 oz and it's definitely crisper than the other jeans I've worn (Lee, Kenneth Cole, motorcycle jeans). I'm thinking the 10 oz pair will have the same one wear and it's broken in. As mattface said, the lefthand twill is supposedly softer (I only say supposedly since I don't have any firsthand experience).
    Measurements: 6'2", 173 lbs, 16" neck, 35/36" sleeve, 42" chest, 32" waist, 33.5" inseam

Comment

Can't emphasize enough using the Fit Guide and measuring some of your best fitting pants/jeans for comparison. Keep in mind that raw denim will stretch some too. So many folks just ordered their "usual" size (in whatever brand) without referencing the guide, and that's why many people were trying to unload jeans that they'd ordered too small. Its still a bit daunting, I'm sure everyone who has placed an order will agree they fretted about whether their new Gustins would fit! Give it a shot though, because the end result is worth it. $61-79 for a pair of premium selvedge denim is a worthwhile purchase (at least in my denim-obsessed opinion)!

Comment

I'm a denim newbie, but am addicted already. I am a big fan of Gustin jeans and highly recommend you try it out. I own 3 pairs with 2 more on the way (the natural and greyxgrey), with plans of purchasing a lightweight 9oz if they release another one. Besides Gustin, I own three pairs of Levis made a crafted and generally Gustins are tighter/slimmer then Levis.

They are slimmer in the waist then many brands, however my experience so far is that the lighter selvage seems to break in and give you more room. If your around the bay area, get in touch with the team and they might have jeans you can try on. Follow their fit guide, it has worked for me.

If your jeans are to loose, I know this is a nono but washing may shrink your jeans a little. I washed my heavy 16oz jeans s 32 and they shrank a little and are comparable to my slim straight 32.

Great jeans and awesome people, and with the referral program a sweet deal!

If anyone is looking to unload a slim straight 31 light weight (or a regular) I'll take it off your hands. lmk
        Last edited by bruschetta; August 24, 2013, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redford View Post
          I registed via a link on reddit that's $25 off. Waiting for a grey color to come up though.
          Gray jeans are back with the Slate denim. Decision time again. Do I want gray jeans?
          Measurements: 6'2", 173 lbs, 16" neck, 35/36" sleeve, 42" chest, 32" waist, 33.5" inseam

Comment

Originally posted by Xeones25 View Post
            Gray jeans are back with the Slate denim. Decision time again. Do I want gray jeans?
            I want them ALL. I'm tempted by the Super Heavy, but I think I am holding out for another run of Heavy American, because that's closer to what I am looking for in the way of autumnal jeans.

Comment

Originally posted by mattface View Post
              I want them ALL. I'm tempted by the Super Heavy, but I think I am holding out for another run of Heavy American, because that's closer to what I am looking for in the way of autumnal jeans.
              I wish I could see pics of the actual jeans or a bigger sample size than a small square. In their pics, many of the fabrics look similar to me and it's hard to tell what it will look like in the end product.

Comment

I have a pair that has gone through the process, just waiting for them to ship now. I am hoping to try them on and make sure the fit is right before ordering another pair, but the Postal Blues look sweet.

Comment

I'm very tempted but would rather have a dark grey. If this was at the $81 price point I would have snatched it up already. Also not sure which cut I want. I wear 514s but find them a bit too loose around the ankles for my current taste.
                  5'8" 155 lbs 39" chest 33" sleeves 33" waist

Comment

Originally posted by Redford View Post
                    I'm very tempted but would rather have a dark grey. If this was at the $81 price point I would have snatched it up already. Also not sure which cut I want. I wear 514s but find them a bit too loose around the ankles for my current taste.
                    THen you probably want the Slim cut. Best advice is to measure the pair you have that fits the best and compare those measurements to their fit guide. https://www.weargustin.com/fitguide

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                      I wish I could see pics of the actual jeans or a bigger sample size than a small square. In their pics, many of the fabrics look similar to me and it's hard to tell what it will look like in the end product.
                      I have the same problem. They actually uploaded a picture of the Slate jeans in finished form...

Comment

Originally posted by sub150 View Post
                        I have the same problem. They actually uploaded a picture of the Slate jeans in finished form...

Agreed. I like that with the Slate and Super Heavy they posted pictures of the finished product instead of just that swatch. It seems like the white balance changes with each of the swatch pictures as well so it's hard to tell what exactly you'll be getting.

I should be getting my wallet tomorrow (apparently USPS tried to deliver it Saturday, but I never saw a notice and I'm not sure why I needed to sign since the jeans were just left at the apt office). I should be getting the Rainbow Nep next month.

Comment

Agreed. I like that with the Slate and Super Heavy they posted pictures of the finished product instead of just that swatch. It seems like the white balance changes with each of the swatch pictures as well so it's hard to tell what exactly you'll be getting.

I should be getting my wallet tomorrow (apparently USPS tried to deliver it Saturday, but I never saw a notice and I'm not sure why I needed to sign since the jeans were just left at the apt office). I should be getting the Rainbow Nep next month.
                          If for some reason you don't want your wallet let me know. I am trying to piece together a tan leather set to match my tan Wolverine Addisons.
                          5'8" 155 lbs 39" chest 33" sleeves 33" waist

Comment

I'd also love to buy the slate but want to get my size dialed in. My pair should be arriving in Sept.

Comment

Guys,
                              I've got the Slate and the Super Heavy if anyone wants pics. Neither has seen any wear besides the initial try on, as its just been too darned hot. The pic that was posted earlier of the Slate is pretty accurate for color - its a dense (saturated?) medium grey.

The Super Heavy fit tighter than my other pairs - I'm guessing due to the thicker fabric. They are really thick and soft (as described on the site), and not at all stiff. So if you're looking for a crisp heavyweight - this ain't it. They are also very bright due to the loose weave and lots of white weft showing - so they're dark but bright. That makes no sense until you see them in a stack of other dark denim... They aren't as saturated a color as some of their denser, darker denims.

Here's some pics of the Super Heavy compared to The Organic (which is a lighter blue shade than typical raw denim - such as The Standard or Regular):

Last edited by Jamie; July 23, 2013, 10:44 PM.

Comment

These pics of the Slate aren't the best - they are pretty close up. So if anyone wants different shots let me know and I'll try to get some more. I've been working long hours, so getting natural lighting may be a challenge...

I really like these and look forward to wearing them this fall and winter!

I think this one is just a little washed out:

(And of course feel free to use my referral code posted earlier in this thread)

Comment

Working...
                                X