Gustin Jeans Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xeones25 View Post
    Got the Jade's in today. Here is a link to some pictures of the Jade and Slate jeans (also Jade next to Original and Light Lefthand for comparison). Honestly, I think this is the first time I've been disappointed. Gustin really needs to figure out white balance for the pictures b/c I can't see the green tint that the Jade's looked like in Gustin's pictures. Their picture of the Jade. Mine (just looks like a lighter blue to me). Whatever, still nice jeans, just not what I was expecting since I really don't want/need any more regular blue jeans.
    Hmm, I can still see a bit of greenish tint in your photos, which is what I was expecting. Mine should arrive tomorrow or Saturday, so I'll post a photo as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
      Yeah that would be. What do you think of the color? Is it too light? It's hard to tell from their website pics but they say it's a loose weave so you'll get more white showing through.
      It's still a darker blue than a vast majority of the jeans I've had pre-Gustin. They are definitely lighter than my Originals (really close in color to the Rainbow Nep). Bottom pair is the Light Lefthand. That picture is probably the best 'picture to real-life' one I have for color.
      Measurements: 6'2", 173 lbs, 16" neck, 35/36" sleeve, 42" chest, 32" waist, 33.5" inseam

Comment

Originally posted by mcadamsandwich View Post
        Yes. Gentle cycle, dry on low heat. Pull them out while they're slightly damp and wear them until they dry.

TL;DR -
        My 33 straight GreyXGreys were pretty scratchy and were a good 4"+ too long for me (tried a triple 1" cuff, but just looks weird). I tried the "hot bath" method, but they were still too long. I'm not that worried about the fades on those, so I tossed them in the washer/dryer. By pulling them out of the dryer while they're still damp and letting them dry on you, they "mold" to your body. Mine fit LIKE A GLOVE now, and shrank just enough so I have a nice single 1.25" cuff and most of the scratchy/baggy fabric has softened.

For those of you looking into having your jeans hemmed/cut/tailored, don't do this until you wash them because there will be slight shrinkage. If you're dead set on waiting six months before washing, then I'd suggest cuffing them until then.
        Hmmm, I might have to try this method before further considering hemming then. I normally get a 30 inseam so I'm not sure if it'll shrink enough but worth a try.

Comment

anyone else jump on the postal blues, the "11 days left" got funded overnight

Comment

So I got my Japan Classic in yesterday and what an experience that was. It arrived in a small Tyvek bubble envelope via USPS two days after it shipped from Cali. No invoice, shipping log, note, anything in there, just the jeans.

Ordered the 'proper' size that takes into effect the ~1" of growth that is supposed to occur over break in. I normally wear a 32, so ordered the 31 in the straight cut. 6'5 and 180 and these things are tight as $#%#$. Took a bit of effort to get on the first time, and not going to lie, I have to go commando just to get in the damn jeans. The custom fading that will occur was a big selling point for me, but now I'm concerned that I'm going to have "unique fading" where my nuts are being significantly compressed by this USA made denim. Not to be confused as a "my p3n0r is so big" post -- these things are just really tight!

Maybe I'll write these people a letter:

Dear Gustin, thanks for making me infertile. <3 Ragu.

All said though, once these break in I'm sure they will be my favorite pair, even if I have to walk funny for a couple days. The quality is 100% worth the value of admission, but they lose significant points on shipping times. I'll admit I'm the typical American of 'now now now', but I'm sure I"m not the only one dismayed at how long it takes for the product to arrive at the door.

Would I buy another? ...maybe.
            Maybe if I get a couple referrals in the other thread (wink ) or maybe if they can improve their shipping time to two weeks or under from "fully funded" status.

Comment

I love the color and feel of the Japan Classics. I made the mistake of ordering the other way with the sizing. I ordered my correct size so I was able to slip in to them easily but I'm now fearing that they will be too loose once they stretch out a bit. The problem is that there is a bit discrepancy in waist sizes between the 32 straight and the 33 straight. It goes from 32.5" to 34". That's a 1.5" difference. So if all my other jeans are a 34" after being stretched out, the 32 Straight will still only end up at 33.5" after broken in. Not sure why they'd leave such a big gap between sizes rather than going in standard 1" increments.

Comment

my japan classics are ok. i like them enough and they fit at the waist just as i thought they would, i just hope the seat stretches out soon. it's like wearing a sports bra on my ass.

Comment

Originally posted by fey View Post
                  my japan classics are ok. i like them enough and they fit at the waist just as i thought they would, i just hope the seat stretches out soon. it's like wearing a sports bra on my ass.
                  Like where you can't scratch your butt because the fabric is so damn tight????

Comment

Originally posted by Ragu View Post
                    but now I'm concerned that I'm going to have "unique fading" where my nuts are being significantly compressed by this USA made denim.
                    LOL!!!! #bestcommentever

(ps - They will stretch out significantly in the areas where you flex/move. Usually around an inch at the waist. Put them on and lounge around the house; they'll mold to your frame faster that way.)

Comment

LOL!!!! #bestcommentever
                      Can anyone photoshop a rendering of this type of unique fade? I'm sure it would make the Fade Friday rounds on the Denimhead sties...

Comment

Originally posted by Ragu View Post
                        The quality is 100% worth the value of admission, but they lose significant points on shipping times. I'll admit I'm the typical American of 'now now now', but I'm sure I"m not the only one dismayed at how long it takes for the product to arrive at the door.
                        This is Gustin's single, massive problem.

I totally understand the "hand made in SF" aspect of the product, but if they're to survive, they *must* find a way to speed up the process or make it more efficient.

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                        Not sure why they'd leave such a big gap between sizes rather than going in standard 1" increments.
                        Agreed. However, depending on the fabric, that 32" waist may stretch upwards of an inch. I'd rather have mine tight at first than too loose.
                        Last edited by mcadamsandwich; October 11, 2013, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Fun facts on delivery times, from date of successful campaign (my CC charged) to delivery:

Broken Weaves - 45 days
                          GreyXGrey - 45 days
                          Japan Regulars - 55 days
                          Jades - 59 days

Classic belt - 33 days.

Comment

Agreed. However, depending on the fabric, that 32" waist may stretch upwards of an inch. I'd rather have mine tight at first than too loose.
                            Now I'm really confused about Gustin sizing. I got the 1776 in today and they fit me great. They are just snug enough where it requires effort to button them up not so much so that it's causing discomfort anywhere. They are much more snug than the Japan Classics. Now I'm not sure at all if I need to downsize to a 32 straight. Grrrr.....

I love the 1776 way more than the Japan Classic. They seem to fit me better and it's a darker color as well. The Japan Classic are softer though whereas the 1776 have a stiffer feel to them.

Comment

^ Sounds like my thoughts; the broken weaves fit wonderful out of the box (bag). The GreyXGrey were way too tight in the man-goods section, but have since loosened up. Same size for both - 33 straight.

Comment

This is Gustin's single, massive problem.

I totally understand the "hand made in SF" aspect of the product, but if they're to survive, they *must* find a way to speed up the process or make it more efficient.
                                They no doubt have the ability to do this. But then you'd have to pay $200-300 for these jeans you're currently getting for $100.

Comment

Working...
                                X