Gustin Jeans Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
    Can I just wash them like I would any other jeans - in the washing machine with cold water?
    Yes. Gentle cycle, dry on low heat. Pull them out while they're slightly damp and wear them until they dry.

TL;DR -
    My 33 straight GreyXGreys were pretty scratchy and were a good 4"+ too long for me (tried a triple 1" cuff, but just looks weird). I tried the "hot bath" method, but they were still too long. I'm not that worried about the fades on those, so I tossed them in the washer/dryer. By pulling them out of the dryer while they're still damp and letting them dry on you, they "mold" to your body. Mine fit LIKE A GLOVE now, and shrank just enough so I have a nice single 1.25" cuff and most of the scratchy/baggy fabric has softened.

For those of you looking into having your jeans hemmed/cut/tailored, don't do this until you wash them because there will be slight shrinkage. If you're dead set on waiting six months before washing, then I'd suggest cuffing them until then.

Comment

Oh wow, that is slim. I couldn't wear anything slimmer than the Docker alphas.

MattFace - I'd be interested in knowing how you washed the jeans so I don't mess them up. I really don't care about getting whiskering/fades/etc. but would like to keep the dark color of the jeans. I don't want to wash them and end up with light blue jeans.
      Originally posted by Jamie View Post
      Matt, did you hang dry or use the dryer? I'm definitely going to get some of mine hemmed (I have 31" inseam), but am concerned about ending up too short. I don't mind them being a little bit longer, but am not a fan of a double cuff. I also suspect that the varied denim fabrics from different manufacturers will shrink differently. I'm thinking of hemming them to 32"...
      First time I washed them was after a dunk in the ocean, due to an unfortunate kayaking accident in which I went out for 2 hours on LI Sound, and forgot to put sunblock on my legs I spent most of the rest of my vacation swimming in my jeans. After each swim, I rinsed them thoroughly in the shower with soap and water and to keep them from getting too briny and hung to dry. Ordinarily though I would not do anything so fancy or dramatic. I just turn them inside out and toss them in the washing machine with like colors and hang to dry.

I wore my classics almost daily, biking in them, camping in them, and doing everything else I do in them, and only washed when they were dirty enough to warrant it, but due to my lifestyle that is much more frequently than 6 months. I'd say I wash them once every 2-4 weeks. Mine are starting to fade nicely, but if I rotated them between a few pairs, I don't think they would be showing much fading yet even with washing with the same frequency. This denim is tough stuff, and the "Sick Fades" sought out by denim heads do not happen easily, so I would not worry about washing as needed. Just turn them inside out, ues a mild detergent with no optical brighteners. I just use whatever hippy dippy stuff I get at my local food coop, but some folks swear by Woolite Dark. Wash on gentle if you're worried about it, but I don't go that far myself.

Edited to add: As far as drying goes, I tend to hang dry my jeans, especially high quality denim, but tossing them in the dryer won't wreck them either. I've done it by mistake before, and the shrinkage was not that great, and they stretched back out. If you have a pair of jeans that are too loose, putting them in the dryer may help, but the effects will be temporary, they will stretch back out in a day or so.
      Last edited by mattface; October 9, 2013, 01:36 PM.

Comment

This threak needs moar posts of Gustin fadez.

Comment

Oh wow, that is slim. I couldn't wear anything slimmer than the Docker alphas.

MattFace - I'd be interested in knowing how you washed the jeans so I don't mess them up. I really don't care about getting whiskering/fades/etc. but would like to keep the dark color of the jeans. I don't want to wash them and end up with light blue jeans.
          Originally posted by Jamie View Post
          Matt, did you hang dry or use the dryer? I'm definitely going to get some of mine hemmed (I have 31" inseam), but am concerned about ending up too short. I don't mind them being a little bit longer, but am not a fan of a double cuff. I also suspect that the varied denim fabrics from different manufacturers will shrink differently. I'm thinking of hemming them to 32"...
          Originally posted by Johdus View Post
          This threak needs moar posts of Gustin fadez.
          I'll get around to posting pics of my classics before too long. Right now I'm breaking in my new Heavy American's which also need some pics.

Comment

I don't seek fades. I want my denim to stay nice and dark and don't want any weird streaks to happen due to the washing machine. I'll toss them in there on gentle with no detergent for now and let you guys know how it turns out.

Comment

I don't seek fades. I want my denim to stay nice and dark and don't want any weird streaks to happen due to the washing machine. I'll toss them in there on gentle with no detergent for now and let you guys know how it turns out.
              Your safest bet to avoid any streaking or creasing is to soak them in a bathtub for the first go (you can add some Woolite Dark or other mild soap). Machine washing is much more prone to crocking. After the first soak, your jeans will be less likely to crocking on future machine washes, although you should still turn them inside out.

Comment

Avoid raw.

Comment

I washed them on cold with no detergent and then tossed them in the dryer. I don't see much of a change. They do seem like they shrunk lengthwise about an inch. They got a bit tighter but after wearing them for about 20 minutes, they've already bounced back though.

These were sanforized raw denim. The 1776 are just raw denim. Not sure if it will be different since those aren't sanforized.

Comment

I washed them on cold with no detergent and then tossed them in the dryer. I don't see much of a change. They do seem like they shrunk lengthwise about an inch. They got a bit tighter but after wearing them for about 20 minutes, they've already bounced back though.

These were sanforized raw denim. The 1776 are just raw denim. Not sure if it will be different since those aren't sanforized.
                    THat's about what I would have expected. So far Gustin has never done a non-sanforized denim, and they don't appear keen to. Non-sanforized would shrink significantly on the first wash. Levis STF are an example of non sanforized, and they typically shrink three inches in length and an inch and half to two inches when you wash them.

Comment

New vintage leather from The Getup Vintage in Montpelier! by mattface, on Flickr

Here are the first pictures I've managed to get of my new Heavy Americans, as well as the Organic Japanese Selvage Chambray shirt, and the Classic Belt also features in these shots. Sorry it's not a great shot of the shirt, I was actually taking them for the jacket.

Jeans are breaking in great. The Heavy Americans were quite stiff and snug for the first couple of days, took a little longer to stretch than the lighter weight classics. With almost a week on them they're still quite stiff, but coming along to where I want them fit wise. They really want a triple cuff at this point, but they were too stiff at first, so I was wearing them with a 2" double cuff. Just this morning I was able to prise them into a reasonable looking 1.25" triple cuff. Experience tells me I'll get enough shrink from the first wash to go with a less chunky double cuff.

Comment

Got a shipping notice for my 1776. I'll try to get a pic of me wearing the Japan Classic later today or tomorrow.

Comment

Got the Jade's in today. Here is a link to some pictures of the Jade and Slate jeans (also Jade next to Original and Light Lefthand for comparison). Honestly, I think this is the first time I've been disappointed. Gustin really needs to figure out white balance for the pictures b/c I can't see the green tint that the Jade's looked like in Gustin's pictures. Their picture of the Jade. Mine (just looks like a lighter blue to me). Whatever, still nice jeans, just not what I was expecting since I really don't want/need any more regular blue jeans.
                          Measurements: 6'2", 173 lbs, 16" neck, 35/36" sleeve, 42" chest, 32" waist, 33.5" inseam

Comment

That sucks about the Jades.

I see they're offering the light lefthand again. What are your thoughts on those?

Comment

That sucks about the Jades.

I see they're offering the light lefthand again. What are your thoughts on those?
                              I really like them. They are perfect for warmer weather when the 12.5+ oz jeans are too hot. Putting them on they feel similar to "regular" jeans (like Lee or Levi) due to the weight and softness. For raw denimheads they might be a bummer since I don't see these getting as nice of fades as the others I've worn (less stiff, so the wrinkles behind the knees and at the ankles are less creasy(?)). Which would actually be a positive for you Vicious.
                              Measurements: 6'2", 173 lbs, 16" neck, 35/36" sleeve, 42" chest, 32" waist, 33.5" inseam

Comment

Originally posted by Xeones25 View Post
                                Which would actually be a positive for you Vicious.
                                Yeah that would be. What do you think of the color? Is it too light? It's hard to tell from their website pics but they say it's a loose weave so you'll get more white showing through.

Comment

Working...
                                X