No announcement yet.

Gustin Jeans Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Jade has been shipped. Once I receive that (should be Friday) I'll post pictures of it and the Slate (wearing them today).
    Measurements: 6'2", 173 lbs, 16" neck, 35/36" sleeve, 42" chest, 32" waist, 33.5" inseam

Comment

i'm due to receive my first ever gustin jeans today, a japanese classic. i hope it turns out well!

Comment

Originally posted by fey View Post
        i'm due to receive my first ever gustin jeans today, a japanese classic. i hope it turns out well!
        What size did you order?

Comment

i just received it i ordered a 30 slim.

and holy hell the inseam is looooooooooong. i can't try it on yet (at work) but i think there might be a solid 8-9" of excess length, and i'm 5'10". i can't tell where the waist will sit though, but it looks like it should sit pretty low.

Comment

There shouldn't be that much. I'm a few inches shorter than you and there's probably about 6" I need to get chopped off.

I got the Japan Classic in earlier this week in 33 Straight. While that size seemed fine for the much thicker and stiffer Sixteeners I had previously ordered, the legs seemed a bit baggy on these. It sucks that it takes this long to get your order because my 1776 are going to be in this same size. I did get them to change my GreyXBlack order to a 32 Straight. After I get that in, I might be able to finally dial in my Gustin size. I thought about going with the 33 Slim but the slim ones seem really slim at the knees and cuffs.

Comment

i just received it i ordered a 30 slim.

and holy hell the inseam is looooooooooong. i can't try it on yet (at work) but i think there might be a solid 8-9" of excess length, and i'm 5'10". i can't tell where the waist will sit though, but it looks like it should sit pretty low.
              The inseam should be 34, but I've found mine closer to 35, though they tend to shrink at least an inch when washed, so it will wind up around 33-34 if it was anything like mine. I like a 31-32" inseam without a cuff, so this works out pretty well for me. The cuff is a little thick before the first wash, but after that it's just about right. I'll probably get 1 pair hemmed, and wear the others cuffed.

Comment

i like the cuffed look, but maybe not a cuff that's more than say 1", and so i was planning on getting them hemmed.

they seem to be pretty skinny/slim, a bit slimmer than docker alphas (my favorite everyday beater pants). i couldn't bite on the classic cut because they seem much too wide for my tastes.

Comment

Originally posted by mattface View Post
                  The inseam should be 34, but I've found mine closer to 35, though they tend to shrink at least an inch when washed, so it will wind up around 33-34 if it was anything like mine. I like a 31-32" inseam without a cuff, so this works out pretty well for me. The cuff is a little thick before the first wash, but after that it's just about right. I'll probably get 1 pair hemmed, and wear the others cuffed.
                  Matt, did you hang dry or use the dryer? I'm definitely going to get some of mine hemmed (I have 31" inseam), but am concerned about ending up too short. I don't mind them being a little bit longer, but am not a fan of a double cuff. I also suspect that the varied denim fabrics from different manufacturers will shrink differently. I'm thinking of hemming them to 32"...

Comment

they seem to be pretty skinny/slim, a bit slimmer than docker alphas (my favorite everyday beater pants). i couldn't bite on the classic cut because they seem much too wide for my tastes.
                    Oh wow, that is slim. I couldn't wear anything slimmer than the Docker alphas.

MattFace - I'd be interested in knowing how you washed the jeans so I don't mess them up. I really don't care about getting whiskering/fades/etc. but would like to keep the dark color of the jeans. I don't want to wash them and end up with light blue jeans.

Comment

Finally got my shipping notice for the September Japan Classics late last night. Looking forward to trying them out.

As Vicious49 said... I'd also appreciate an advice on washing them. I see that the recommendation is to not wash them for 6 months. I'm not sure I can last that long.

Comment

Waiting on my grey/black and my belt, but reading comments I'm curious about my sizing. I ordered a 33 slim which based on measurements of the GAP slim, seem to be pretty damn close. But my belt is closer to a 36 which seems odd. Guess I'm becoming paranoid because it's not easy to return items for a different size/refund.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH View Post
                          Finally got my shipping notice for the September Japan Classics late last night. Looking forward to trying them out.

As Vicious49 said... I'd also appreciate an advice on washing them. I see that the recommendation is to not wash them for 6 months. I'm not sure I can last that long.
                          You really just wash them when they get noticeably dirty. I received my first pair at the end of June (first post) and haven't washed them yet. They haven't started to smell or anything. I'll probably go another month and then wash them.
                          I think I will wash my Light Lefthand pair pretty quickly though since I don't want them to whisker and fade (this is my first experience with raw jeans so I'm experimenting with my first pair, The Original).

Also, I'm glad the inseam is where it is at. If it was any more than an inch shorter I wouldn't be able to try out these jeans (32x34) and I really like the pairs I've gotten so far. The Jade I should be getting at the end of this week is the last pair I have on order, then the seafoam shirt. I might try out a heavy pair eventually, but other than that or a "silly" pair (red weft or something) I think I'm done with my purchases.
                          Measurements: 6'2", 173 lbs, 16" neck, 35/36" sleeve, 42" chest, 32" waist, 33.5" inseam

Comment

Can I just wash them like I would any other jeans - in the washing machine with cold water?

Comment

Got my shipping notice for Japan Classics funded 8/6.

As for washing - you can throw them in the washing machine like any other jeans, but I wouldn't recommend it. One of the big differences when buying raw denim is that the dye hasn't set into the cloth yet. This is the reason they say not to wash them for 6 months - gives the dye a chance to set, or wear off, naturally causing the fading everyone wants. By washing them you immediately lose some of that dye and essentially stall the process by setting the dye. Also machine washing will cause the denim to be streatched and twisted and lose it's shape. I tested it with a pair of Levis STFs that I got on clearance. Sure, they made it through the process and are still wearable - but they are much lighter and shrunk quite a bit (granted they are Shrink To Fit). I recommend turning them inside out and spraying them down with Febreeze or something similar to keep them smelling fresh if that's a concern. Soak in room temperature water with a little mild soap if needed. Of course this is all totally up to you. The beauty of raw denim is it's a personal experience. If you choose to machine wash yours then that's your experience.

Comment

Just got my super heavy. Surprised that they are as soft as they are. They are thick though. I ordered the 31 straight and I think this sizing is perfect. It's a little snug right now but should stretch a bit after they break in. One thing I'm concerned about is the inseam. I'm only 5'6" and they are long...but I knew that when I ordered. I may just get them hemmed 2" shorter.

Comment

Working...
                                X