No announcement yet.

Gustin Jeans Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These things are very intriguing and I'd love to get a pair, but they're just too similar to The Slate that I already own to justify it. Too bad. This goes to show that sometimes you're better off not jumping on the first pair that interests you - of course I'm plenty happy with my Slate jeans.

The Grey Silk:

Oh yeah, these are also selling like hotcakes - over halfway funded in probably less than an hour! Oh yeah, and these will have tonal stitching. Must...resist...

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie View Post
      Oh yeah, these are also selling like hotcakes - over halfway funded in probably less than an hour!
      Well that was fast! They sold over 130 pairs in under an hour!

Comment

The day I go to lunch early, they introduce probably one of the best looking denims I've seen. Definitely sad to have missed out on this one. Anyone have experience with how the silk blend will wear/fade with the denim?

Comment

Man, that was fast! I wasn't at my desk today so didn't get a chance to see it although I wouldn't have supported this one anyways.

Comment

This is really the only reason I wish the process was faster with Gustin... I would really have liked to get in on those grey silks. But, like everyone else, I want to get my first pair so I can make sure I have the right fit.

Comment

Finally got my Fifteeners last week (originally scheduled for August delivery), and they are super starchy. However, I wore them around the house all day yesterday and they've already started to conform to my body. Definitely going to go in on another pair at some point.

For those ordering, based on my experience I'd expect them to arrive the next month rather than the promised one.

Comment

Wore my GreyXGrey pair over the weekend, and they're quite a bit starchier than the Broken Weaves that I've been wearing. The BWs are nice and soft.

The GxGs were too stiff to wear, so I may give those a wash to soften them up a bit.

Comment

YAY! Natural Indigo! I've been waiting for this one and I jumped on the first pair. I love the streaky blue you get from real natural dye, and I look forward to seeing how it ages.

Comment

That natural indigo looks rterrific. Good thing my first Gustins haven't arrived yet, or I would be able to test the fit and then feel sorely tempted!

Comment

I preferred their first Natural Indigo which was a lighter shade of blue. These are nice, but aside from the natural dye, they're too similar to other classic selvedge jeans.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie View Post
                        I preferred their first Natural Indigo which was a lighter shade of blue. These are nice, but aside from the natural dye, they're too similar to other classic selvedge jeans.
                        I really loved that one. I do hope they find more of it.

Comment

Admittedly I don't know much about raw, selvedged jeans (having never owned a pair), but I know that the heavier the weight the stiffer/starchier they tend to feel and the longer they take to break in. They're also warmer, right? For someone new to the game is the 14oz going to be too much of a shock from the usual Levi 514s? Some of you have mentioned that the lower weights, such as 12.5, are even a bit strange at first. I like the look of the Natural Indigos (very dark, classic look), but can't help but think it might be best to hold out for something like the Japan Regular or even the Light Lefthand they offered a while back. Thoughts from those more experienced?

Comment

Originally posted by Eric F View Post
                            Admittedly I don't know much about raw, selvedged jeans (having never owned a pair), but I know that the heavier the weight the stiffer/starchier they tend to feel and the longer they take to break in. They're also warmer, right? For someone new to the game is the 14oz going to be too much of a shock from the usual Levi 514s? Some of you have mentioned that the lower weights, such as 12.5, are even a bit strange at first. I like the look of the Natural Indigos (very dark, classic look), but can't help but think it might be best to hold out for something like the Japan Regular or even the Light Lefthand they offered a while back. Thoughts from those more experienced?
                            Typical Levis 501 STF are 12.5 oz. Your 514s are probably more like 11oz depending upon the denim they used. Not being familiar wit this particular denim, I can't say for sure, because there is more than weight that contributes to a stiff or soft feel, but I wouldn't be too intimidated by 14oz denim. If you want something with a softer feel though, go for a lighter weight, or one of the denims they describe as having a loose weave, or a soft feel.

Comment

Just to expand on mattface a bit.
                              Light Lefthands (10 oz) will feel pretty similar to the jeans you are used to. They feel like regular jeans to me. I've had no issues with the Originals and Rainbow Neps I've bought (12 oz and 12.5 oz). I like the crisp in those. I've noticed that the Light Lefthands just do not crease like the Originals have (especially at the ankle and behind the knees) and it's kind of neat to have that stiffness. 13 oz is the heaviest I've ordered and I haven't gotten them yet so I can't really comment on 14 oz or heavier.

I do plan on buying some sort of heavy weight denim at some point from them.
                              Measurements: 6'2", 173 lbs, 16" neck, 35/36" sleeve, 42" chest, 32" waist, 33.5" inseam

Comment

All the jeans I've previously owned were from J.Crew or Gap, and I am just breaking in some Fifteeners. They feel moderately thicker than my other jeans, but the fit is way better. The starchiness took some getting used to (they almost stand up on their own out of the package), but I wouldn't tell anyone not to order something that's 15 oz by any means. I think it'll help them develop some nice fades eventually. Just don't plan on throwing them on the first day and feeling very comfortable.

Comment

Working...
                                X