The dangers of drunk online shopping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The dangers of drunk online shopping

So.... I had just been watching Ingmar Bergman's Fanny & Alexander.... intrigued by some of the period wear, in particular the middy type thing worn by Alexander.

A few clicks later, I found I have bought something like this.

Sobered up, but still with very mixed feelings about the whole thing - am I sky high for thinking that this can be integrated into anything approaching casual-ish wear?

I guess there is a bit of a history to the middy - it has been worn by civilians over the ages. However, it has mostly been worn this way by children - which could make it somewhat, err, creepy, on a 30 year-old male.

I think the stars on the back of the collar could be removed or covered by buttons or something.

I just don't know any more. Should I write this off as a learning experience? Or does anyone think this could actually work?

Last edited by RyanMTC; August 20, 2013, 06:51 PM.

I think it's great. Mick Jagger and crew wore similar outfits in a video they cut in 1974 for "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll." I say, wear it proudly out in public and show pictures to share here!!!

Comment

I wouldn't be caught dead in that... But, to each his own.

Comment

I once came home at 3am piss drunk and ordered a suitsupply suit that was just open in a browser.

Comment

Um...

http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...ll=1#post95254

http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...l=1#post119829

http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...l=1#post122371

and that's just stuff I posted about. Plenty of other drunk buys, most of which worked out great, but I might have not spent the $$ on if all my brain cells were functioning correctly.

Comment

Does that seller take returns?
            "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

There is nothin' like a dame, nothin' in the world! (Google it.)

Comment

Definitely a write off.

Comment

\begin{snark}
                  Just as with Elon Musk's transcontinental pneumatic tube, "You first".

Alternatively, it'll look very appropriate at the end of October...
                  \end{snark}

I think it'd be a hard look for an adult to pull off. Serious points if you prove us wrong - but as a safety measure, I'd take photos at home, blur your face, and post them here first for confirmation, one way or the other.

If it makes you feel any better, I (without even the influence of booze) bought a large package of cheap underwear the other day. "Hanes isn't so bad, and if I buy 55 pairs, it comes out to about $1.35 / pair". It was, in fact, a good price, but within a few seconds, I realized my mistake (what am I going to do - not do laundry for two months? Build a fort / use them as rags?), Unfortunately, even 5 seconds after an order is made, Hanes cannot cancel an order in progress. I had to pay a sizable fraction of my original purchase price to send it back. If I were more enterprising / less lazy, I'd have just sold it off 5-pack by 5-pack, but honestly, I don't have the time or inclination to meet people from craigslist for a 5 pack of underwear. I've written the whole thing off as a donation to our beleaguered postal system...

Comment

If you are the type that can pull things off, then it's possible. I would say you treat it as a layering piece, perhaps under a light coat (the stripes by the neck would create some visual interest), or you can throw it on top of a rough shirt/tie combo and roll up the sleeves with the shirts underneath. I think the key with a piece like this is to not make it appear that it's the focal point of the outfit, but rather you just tossed it on. Sort of like you were retired from the navy back during that period and this top was laying around and you threw on to add a layer for warmth. Just a thought.

Comment

You could totally pull it off if you quit your job and became a sailor. It could also work as a halloween costume.
                      Last edited by bbas1020; August 21, 2013, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Alternative options for it: Form a Village People tribute band...
                        "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Originally posted by bbas1020 View Post
                          You could totally pull it off if you quit your job and became a sailor. It could also work as a halloween costume.
                          This. Halloween costume.

Comment

hah I drunk bought tappered leg chinos and TVHM Jeans....they are in a donate to anorexic fellas pile with 1 wear each.

Comment

Don't listen to the naysayers! I want you to be brave, put this thing on, go out to a dive bar, and post pix here of your experience! Do it!

Comment

Working...
                              X