Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ALL the Alpha Khakis! Others that fit like 'em?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ALL the Alpha Khakis! Others that fit like 'em?

I've converted. I tried a pair of Alpha Khakis and am in love: they are the finest fitting pants in my wardrobe.

But that's the problem. I want more, and I can't get every color I want in them. And they're not terribly dressy, sadly.

So, Dappered readers, what other brands/pants in the same general price range (up to ~$65 retail) fit similarly? For reference, I'm a 34x29 (yeah, 29) in them and the fit is spot-on.

The closest pant I've found is the BR Emerson in a 33x30 - it is a straight fit, but not crazy loose thankfully. It also shrunk enough in the wash for the length to not be a problem.

BR's new Aiden/slim fit chinos are, I believe, slimmer than the Emersons. With a sale, you can get them for $30-$45. Also, they're a bit dressier than Alphas.

Comment

I've been a big fan of the Emerson for awhile, but I have a pair of Aiden on the way. I lost about an inch in the waist, so I'm looking at replacing some of my 33/32 Emersons. Also have a pair of their new Kentfield's on the way.

Comment

JCrew 484 cut in khakis and jeans are as much (or even more) tappered as Docker Alpha's. Thay do fall in the same category of the casual type of pants as Alpha's do, though. I have yet to try BR's Aiden cut, BR seem finally to get on the board with their new cuts in shirts and pants.
        The (slight) issue that I have with Alpha's is that their rise is higher than 484's, and I prefer the lower rise. I dont even know are Aplha's even that much higher, or I just like to "push" 484's down on my hips...

Comment

These are more casual but the GAP broken-in chinos are my second favorite behind the alphas, and they can be had for pretty cheap too...I've got 3 pairs of em, they feel awesome to the touch and they're a slim fit

Comment

The J Crew 484 cut is probably the best fitting pair of pants I've ever purchased. I also have 3 Alpha Chinos and can confirm that they are definitely not as slim/tapered as the 484 line.

Comment

These are fantastic recommendations. Thanks, everyone.

Comment

Does anyone have the BR Emerson or the BR Aiden in navy and can comment on whether there is some white shine on their pants? I have the emerson and it has that white shine like the pictures of the Aiden ones (check the zipper area/right back side). It give the pants a vintage/worn-in type of look, which wasn't what I was looking for. As a side note, it's a real lint/dust magnet.

Comment

I've got the Aidens in navy, and they don't shine hardly at all. They're a bit shinier than the Aidens in "acorn". They do show more lint, but that's cause they're navy.

Comment

Super late follow-up to this, just noting for posterity. I went with the Aidens in the same size as the Emersons, and the fit is pretty much perfect! Just dressy enough, not too formal.

Definitely no shine compared to some other navy pants I've had in the distant past. As bjmcgeever says, they're great at collecting lint. Can deal.

Comment

I have the Aidens in Sonoma Wine (Purple/Burgundy) and Rangoon Green (Forest Green) and I love them! They ARE lint magnets as others have mentioned, but I don't mind it too much. There's also no shine like what you were mentioning.

I just recently purchased two pairs of Alphas in gray and khaki, and they're really comfortable (the material feels a little bit like denim). I'm looking for chinos (that are equivalently casual like Dockers Alphas) in a lighter olive color. These are great suggestions, and I'm considering getting the GAP Lived-In Slim Chinos in Spanish Olive. It seems a bit dark though.

Does anyone have this pair or any other suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by dnugget View Post
                        I have the Aidens in Sonoma Wine (Purple/Burgundy) and Rangoon Green (Forest Green) and I love them! They ARE lint magnets as others have mentioned, but I don't mind it too much. There's also no shine like what you were mentioning.

I just recently purchased two pairs of Alphas in gray and khaki, and they're really comfortable (the material feels a little bit like denim). I'm looking for chinos (that are equivalently casual like Dockers Alphas) in a lighter olive color. These are great suggestions, and I'm considering getting the GAP Lived-In Slim Chinos in Spanish Olive. It seems a bit dark though.

Does anyone have this pair or any other suggestions?
                        I have the Lived-In Straight in Spanish Olive and they are lighter in person, more of a green hued khaki.

Comment

Working...
                        X