Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday challenge 8/9/2013 - Summer Evening Concert!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday challenge 8/9/2013 - Summer Evening Concert!

Friday challenge 8/9/2013 - Summer Evening Concert

Men of Dappered, the beginning of August reminds us that the warmest days are coming to a close. In just a few weeks, the temperatures will begin their descent, colleagues will start actually doing work, and, worst of all, outdoor music festivals will end.

Thus, I propose we salute summer's inevitable conclusion with this week's Challenge:

You are taking your significant other to an early evening music concert featuring a favorite jazz artist/orchestra/soft rock artist. Temperatures for the concert will be 75 degrees, falling gently to 70 by the end of the show. The only stipulation is that you are dressing to impress your significant other--no tattered Miles Davis or Air Supply vintage tees, thank you very much. Otherwise, go as formal or casual as you'd like.

By way of example, Mrs. Styles and I love to take advantage of live music under the stars, and recently we enjoyed a full, free concert from Hall of Fame singer Chaka Khan at Chicago's Millennium Park. I was conflicted on what to wear, given the mild humidity and the lateness of the evening when we'd return home. I decided on:

blazer: Gap unstructured khaki
    shirt: J. Crew tailored fit red pinstriped button down
    jeans: Denizen/Target dark blue wash slim straight fit
    shoes: Stafford Ashtons

The usual rules:

1.) A challenge is proposed (typically on a Monday, unless the poster is a slacker, in which case the wee hours of Tuesday morning will just have to suffice).
    2.) Ideas are bounced around throughout the week, any questions are codified, and guidelines are put into place.
    3.) On Friday (or before), everyone dresses according to the challenge's parameters.
    4.) On Saturday, all challengers are recorded and voting opens to see who best represents the challenge.
    5.) A winner is chosen by majority vote on Sunday, and the winner is responsible for choosing the next week's challenge.

Since I won last week, I will respectfully not enter this week so that we'll have a different winner next week. If anyone would like style advice, I can provide that for a nominal fee. Ha!

Let's see what you're workin' with!
    [url=http://goo.gl/pTbLC2]Twinkle Sparkles (Furious Styles)[/url]
    0.00%
    [url=http://goo.gl/FpzS0O]Giggle Bubbles (Jake101)[/url]
    14.29%
    [url=http://goo.gl/hrY9w3]Moonbeam Velour (BenR)[/url]
    19.05%
    [url=http://goo.gl/bzr2SJ]Sugarbun Twirl (Cologne Guy)[/url]
    23.81%
    [url=http://goo.gl/Z537fP]Snuggleberry Buttons (JHEyerman)[/url]
    14.29%
    [url=http://goo.gl/mtEQrj]Pumpkin Delight (Vicious49)[/url]
    28.57%

Mods, please add the appropriate poll/NSA tracking instruments to this thread. Gracias!

Comment

Glad you picked a scenario-based challenge, Furious. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's entries!

Comment

Ha, almost don't want to enter, facing a slight chance of having to come up with a challenge to follow this great idea. Well done!

Comment

FS, You two are a beautiful couple.

As a rare member of Dappered's singles crowd, I plan on bitterly weeping over a pint of ice cream as I read this thread.

Comment

Good one, Mr. Furious. Err... Mr. Styles!

I *almost* went with a scenario-based one last week (based on the not-so-glowing reviews of the B&W&Green thing, maybe I should have - LOL - oh well). I was thinking of "backyard BBQ" or even "Made in the USA" (but then Joe's getup post featuring that exact same theme popped up - figured better wait a awhile on that one). Those might work for future ones, but the BBQ timing is running out quickly too.

That being said, I like yours here much better! I *just*went to an outdoor music event this past Saturday - under the stars - with my beautiful wife...

... and our kiddos, and a bunch of their friends, and about 15,000 other screaming little girls (Doh! - aaaghh, my eye are still bleeding!). Boy band *Big Time Rush* and the chick from the TV show *Victorious* Summer tour thingie. Please don't judge me. I took one for the team... my 7 y.o. daughter's team, that is.

I was still conscious of my getup - but went casual for sure - "lawn seats" - LOL - so SS-henley/jeans/desert-boots it was. For this "concert-date-night-out with the Mrs." theme as you have proposed here though... ya gots'ta (try to) a t least a little harder than that, right? You and yours sure do in that pic, bud. Nicely done, Mr. and Mrs. Styles!

*EDIT: One more thing about this one: Depending on the venue and/or the artist(s), it really *could* make for some diverse yet still "dapper" getups. Should be fun!
            Last edited by yoyorobbo; August 5, 2013, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Wasn't going to submit this, but figured, what the hell! Go
              Me! ( but best of luck.)(nah)

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post

As a rare member of Dappered's singles crowd, I plan on bitterly weeping over a pint of beer as I read this thread.
                Fixed that for you. Also, nothing wrong with being single--means you can dress to impress different ladies (or guys, as applicable)!
                Last edited by hornsup84; August 5, 2013, 02:34 PM. Reason: Edit for PCness

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post

As a rare member of Dappered's singles crowd, I plan on bitterly weeping over a pint of ice cream as I read this thread.
                  Ditto on the being single. And mmmm ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by Furious Styles View Post
                    Mods, please add the appropriate poll/NSA tracking instruments to this thread. Gracias!
                    The NSA is one step ahead of you.

Comment

ha good thing im single then. Won't have to set next week's challenge

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                        Also, nothing wrong with being single--means you can dress to impress different ladies (or guys, as applicable)!

Comment

Originally posted by Furious Styles View Post
                          we enjoyed a full, free concert from Hall of Fame singer Chaka Khan at Chicago's Millennium Park.
                          Way OT, but I heard her sing "Round Midnight" with George Duke's band at the Montreux Jazz Festival in 2009 and it was one of the most amazing vocal performances I've ever heard. When she's "on" she's pretty incredible. I was performing the following night. George Duke came and sat in with us, but alas, no Chaka. Definitely worth seeing her if you get a chance.

Comment

@ Everyone. Hopefully entries will also mention what artist they're going to see--every little bit of detail could help you win! And thanks y'all for the compliments. Mrs. Styles says gracias.

@ Jake101 -- look at you, out of the box. I'm usually not a fan of printed shirts, but I dig that one with that jacket.

@ yoyorobbo -- Let's see you wear cologne outside with the bugs, Mister!

@ Fred G.Unn -- I'm not sure which statement made me go "whoa!" The fact you heard Chaka perform at the Montreaux Jazz festival...or the fact that YOU PLAYED THERE THE NEXT NIGHT.

Comment

Thanks fs! I was reorganizing my closet and found this gem from my highschool clubbing days. Got it tailored, and Lo and behold, prints are in style 8 years later!

Comment

Working...
                              X