Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday challenge 8/2/2013 - "Black & White (but NOT Grey/Gray)... Oh yeah, & Green!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok. Black, White, and Green. GO!

EDIT: Dang!! Yoyo beat me to the punch.

Jacket: Gap Outlet
    Shirt: Merona Tailored Fit OCBD
    Tie: JC
    Belt: American Eagle (probably 10 years old)
    Pants: JCF Blackwash
    Socks: BR
    Shoes: AE
    Watch: Timex
    Countryside Man of Letters

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post

D-Lo, if you jam that jacket, you my man are suh-mooooooooooooooooooove. Kinda like this:

I wish I had such a garment. If I had the money and the swanky apartment to hold private black-tie affairs, I'd pick up one in bottle green and eggplant purple sooner than I could pay rent. Wait?!

This would also qualify as green, if only barely.

http://www.blacktieguide.com/Classic...08_cropped.jpg

Comment

The outfits are only supposed to have black, white, and green right? If so, MarkB's is mainly brown and blue so it doesn't qualify correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
          The outfits are only supposed to have black, white, and green right? If so, MarkB's is mainly brown and blue so it doesn't qualify correct?
          The jacket and belt are olive drab and the jeans, socks, shoes, and tie are black. There's no blue or brown in that outfit.
          Last edited by MarkB; July 31, 2013, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Must be the lighting. In the pics the jacket and belt show up as brown and the jeans looked a dark blue which is why I was like 'huh'?

Comment

Yeah, the phone probably isn't the best camera to use, but it's really easy to take the pics and get them uploaded. I'm just too lazy to use the dslr and have the extra step of putting them onto the computer first. Maybe I'll give it a shot next week.
              Last edited by MarkB; July 31, 2013, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Alright, enough chit-chat; let's get this party started! I don't foresee having much chance to dork-around the rest of the week with this one (it's actually tougher than I thought!), so I bit the bullet and gave it a whirl today.

Here's my stab at the passably-polarizing Black+White+Green challenge:

Jacket: Linea Dome
                Shirt: Nordstrom (I think Nordy calls the color "seagrass" - I'm calling it "light green")
                Tie: JAB
                Belt: BR
                Chinos: Dockers
                Socks: JCF
                Boots: Paul Fredrick (thrifted)
                Watch: Seiko
                Scent: Creed *Green* Irish Tweed (yep, gotta work that angle... MUUHHAHAHAHA...!)
                Shades: RE
                YOU AND YOUR AMAZING CASUAL JACKETS! ::sigh::

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                  Must be the lighting. In the pics the jacket and belt show up as brown and the jeans looked a dark blue which is why I was like 'huh'?
                  I did a "huh?" at first too, Vicious. Mark, I thought for sure that belt was brown. I was ready to put the rules-smack-down on you, man. LOL - But I was viewing it on my phone screen, while putting my kids to bed, so I was hardly paying attention, really.

Once I got a better look, I figured the jacket and belt were olive (which works for this). They still kinda look more brown/tan to me on a big PC screen, but of course I believe you when you say they are "olive drab." No question there, man.

Understandably the pics can be misleading colorwise, as we've all seen (and probably been victim to) the dreaded "different shades/appearances of the same clothing article in different windowpanes all within the same photo collage" thing. Happens all the time. In fact, in my pic, it may be tough to see the "green-ness" of my shirt, because of the sucky lighting. The green hues of it in the overall shot vs the closeup of my watch/wrist look different even there. So we'll have to give benefit of the doubt in some of these cases. We're not winning cash-money (YEAH!) in these things, so I like to think we're all being straight-forward with our claims. LOL. Right? Please say "right."

But the jeans?... hhmmn... well... I have those same ones, and I bought them originally "in-store" thinking they were a super-dark blue, *almost* black. But they do call them "blackwash"... so, hmmn..... I dunno.

The thing is, when I posted this challenge's original limitations, I was worried about allowing "shades" of black or white, only because I was trying to avoid letting the *greys* (and even the creams/beiges) into the mix. I thought that would make this way too easy, of a challenge, ya'know? That's why I said "any shade of green" - but "black is black" and "white is white." I was kinda playing on the fact that black pants, shoes, heck even shirts and jackets to some degree, get a real tough go presently in most men's style/fashion circles. Figured it'd make it fun to try to get folks to don their black gear.

So damn! ... Hmmn... hmnnn....

Personally, when I wear those jeans with say a cognac-colored shoe/boot, they're pretty-much "black" to me. However, when I've worn them with black shoes, they look "(super-)dark-blue."

I guess I'm leaning toward allowing the jeans, as I'd hate to deny Mark the entrance here, seeing as he's already done all of the work, *thinking* that his jeans were black. But that basically goes against my own original rule. Maybe the original rules are simply being too dickishly-strict. Could be.

Help me out folks. I hate making calls like this. LOL - "I'm a lover, not a fighter."
                  Last edited by yoyorobbo; July 31, 2013, 03:32 PM.

Comment

I took the contest literally so here's your black and white with a bit of green. The tie is more of an army green and the socks have green polka dots in them. The rest is all either black or white.

suit - BR tailored fit
                    shirt - Nordstroms
                    tie - theknottery.com
                    shoes - AS Armfield
                    watch - Omega

Comment

Killer look, Vicious!

Comment

It'll get me 2 votes again, but that's the best I could do with green. It was either that or an old pair of olive cargo pants.

Comment

Wow, I didn't mean to start a rules controversy here. The funny thing being that I'm color blind, so any time I have a question regarding color I ask the Mrs.

Once I saw the pics, I thought that there may be a question regarding the jacket due to the yellowish lighting in the house, but the jeans never crossed my mind. I have all of my jeans hanging next to each other in my closet and I'd be hard pressed to call them blue in any way.

Whatever you guys decide is fine, in or out.

Comment

BTW, I'm gonna just go ahead and presume that those socks are NOT "navy" with green polka dots, right Vicious? LOL - See??? The coloring/shading in some of these pics is sometimes cray-cray. I know it, and I feel ya. That being said, and lighting/shading aside, again: "Killer!"

Mark, I meant to compliment your getup before, but got all caught up in the jeans thing. Cool casual (yet dressed-up with the tie) look, dude. I like the 10-year-old belt thing. The black jacket in my pic is something I bought back in ... oh... '91 or '92 (maybe even earlier). Wow!

On that tip, Wcobos95: Thanks, man! See? Sometimes ya buy new that looks like old, and sometimes ya gotta just go "vintage." LOL - again, thanks for the comment on the casual jackets. I do have a few (too many). Lean-wardrobe what?!? Ugh.

Comment

BTW, I'm gonna just go ahead and presume that those socks are NOT "navy" with green polka dots, right Vicious? LOL - See??? The coloring/shading in some of these pics is sometimes cray-cray. I know it, and I feel ya. That being said, and lighting/shading aside, again: "Killer!"
                              I noticed that too, but I wasn't gonna comment.

@yoyo--Thanks man, I appreciate it.

Comment

Hahaha. I was hoping the lighting was bad enough where it would look like black and not navy. I was trying to incorporate some more green in to it and that's the best I could do sockwise.

I'm sticking with my story that they were black but faded over time.

Comment

Working...
                                X