Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do do when everything fits but the chest on dress/casual buttondown shirts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do do when everything fits but the chest on dress/casual buttondown shirts?

I have some Medium button downs that fit in the shoulders, waist and sleeve length, but are a bit too tight across the chest. If I roll my shoulders forward everything is fine (except for my crappy posture). At a normal posture the pull is just barely visible across the third button(like another .25 inches would be good and .5 inches would easily be plenty). What makes it noticeable is the bowing of the straight lines in the pattern.

If I go to a large I'm swimming in it, the sleeves are too long and the shoulder seam is anywhere from 1 to 1.5 inches past where it should be.

What do you guys do when this happens to you?

FWIW, I'm 5'8", 180lbs.

I assume you've tried many different brands; some brands run wider than others. What's your chest/jacket and waist size? Does this happen in dress shirts (when you order with a neck x sleeve measurement)?

IMO there is a small range of people that fit within the S,M,L casual shirt sizes. I'm 6'1" / 200lbs (42 jacket, 36" pants) and they don't fit me well either. Dress shirts should fit you better since you can set the neck and sleeve length and then adjust the fit on your chest through various fits (classic fit, slim fit, tailored fit, etc). I've resorted to finding casual shirts that sell with dress shirt sizing. I've also tried on so many shirts that I keep a table now of what fits (and what doesn't) so I don't waste my time.

I also think your body type may best be served by getting your shirts taken in at the tailor, although that can get expensive if you do it for all shirts. If you end up going the tailoring route, try to get a shirt that fits your chest and shoulders and then adjust the sleeves and waist as needed. For suit jackets, my tailor charges $15 to take in a waist and $15 for the sleeves. I've had him shorten shirts (so I can wear them untucked) for $10 ea. N

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

Im going to second the last comment Yack made, mainly because at 5'8 180, that is exacly whats going to happen. I think your best opt. is go get a shirt that fits in shoulders and chest as YaK said and has the high arm holes and get the sleeves done and darts put on (i say dars cuz my tailor charges me less for the darts than for her to cut the shirt.

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
      I>0<I

Comment

Could try MTM as well. Depending on the shirt brand + tailoring there may not be a huge difference. I also can't find any shirts to fit me so I just ordered a couple MTM

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Working...
        X